News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean link=topic=5179.msg1690hr]03#msg169003 date=1335993723]
While on a smokes run, I have heroically avoided a collision with a fridge that decided it no longer wanted to be on the trailer of the car in front.  :D

See how dangerous smoking can be!

Heroic indeed! Those self-aware fridges are a liability?! ...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on May 02, 2012, 10:22:03 PM
While on a smokes run, I have heroically avoided a collision with a fridge that decided it no longer wanted to be on the trailer of the car in front.  :D

It's a miracle! Praise Jeebus!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Next time it will be the kitchen sink!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on May 02, 2012, 10:39:56 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on May 02, 2012, 10:31:48 PM
It was empty, the fridge was.

There were, however, sparks and emergency deceleration and a whole lot of excitement  :D

I just helped the guy get the damned thing back on the trailer and drove on. Another bullet burn for The Asmo and His trusted Old Rusty.
And just imagine the trauma compensation if you'd hit it and glancing blow on the passenger side  :o
If I hit the fridge, the old guy would have been charged with driving with a broken trailer and unsafe load and his insurance company would have to buy Rusty a new bumper, some airbags and probably some lights.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

I liked the story on the news about the budgie who was found and told the finder its home address.
It was reunited with its old woman owner who'd lost a bird previously so taught this one her address.

I once taught a budgie to say my hello [daughers name] and "let me out."
Perhaps all my greatest achievements are behind me...

Amicale

A local family of ducks survived a VERY busy highway: http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/local/on/baby_duckies_survive_treacherous_highway_crossing/4b892e47

QuoteBaby duckies survive treacherous highway crossing

02/05/2012 8:38:03 PM

A heart-stopping drama played out on a Toronto-area highway when a mother duck and her flock of baby ducklings tried to scoot across four lanes of traffic, Wednesday morning.

The daring travails of the duck family caught the amazed attention of a CTV News Chopper cameraman, who videotaped their mission to escape Highway 407, near Dixie Road north of Toronto.

Aerial footage shows the ducks wandering along a median between the east and west lanes of the toll highway, before slipping through a hole in the cement barrier and lurching into traffic.

What follows is a few tense minutes of heart-stopping footage of obligatory adorable baby duckies skipping, Frogger-style, through gaps in traffic and being scattered in all directions by wind gusts as cars and trucks speed past.

It appears the ducklings all managed to escape the highway unscathed, before the mother duck hurried the younglings away from the highway and into a grassy glen.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on April 30, 2012, 10:40:35 AM
Quote from: corgilover on April 29, 2012, 10:11:46 PM
FINALS!
Presumably they are now finished? You can't possibly be looking forward to them!!

I'm looking forward to finishing them. I've got two more.

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on May 03, 2012, 03:46:12 AM
A local family of ducks survived a VERY busy highway: http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/local/on/baby_duckies_survive_treacherous_highway_crossing/4b892e47

QuoteBaby duckies survive treacherous highway crossing

02/05/2012 8:38:03 PM

A heart-stopping drama played out on a Toronto-area highway when a mother duck and her flock of baby ducklings tried to scoot across four lanes of traffic, Wednesday morning.

The daring travails of the duck family caught the amazed attention of a CTV News Chopper cameraman, who videotaped their mission to escape Highway 407, near Dixie Road north of Toronto.

Aerial footage shows the ducks wandering along a median between the east and west lanes of the toll highway, before slipping through a hole in the cement barrier and lurching into traffic.

What follows is a few tense minutes of heart-stopping footage of obligatory adorable baby duckies skipping, Frogger-style, through gaps in traffic and being scattered in all directions by wind gusts as cars and trucks speed past.

It appears the ducklings all managed to escape the highway unscathed, before the mother duck hurried the younglings away from the highway and into a grassy glen.
I wonder if the video is online anywhere?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: corgilover on May 03, 2012, 04:41:27 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 30, 2012, 10:40:35 AM
Quote from: corgilover on April 29, 2012, 10:11:46 PM
FINALS!
Presumably they are now finished? You can't possibly be looking forward to them!!

I'm looking forward to finishing them. I've got two more.
Work hard!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

An atheist meetup in my area at a British pub called Highlander tonight!! YAY   ;D
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

En_Route

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 03, 2012, 11:19:04 PM
An atheist meetup in my area at a British pub called Highlander tonight!! YAY   ;D

No spirits I hope.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: En_Route on May 03, 2012, 11:23:57 PM

No spirits I hope.
HAH!! Knowing me there will be plenty of spirits. No faith though.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Tank

Yay!!! Beer and free thinking, a perfect combination for setting the world to rights. And then waking up with a hangover and having to go to work  >:(

Tank

Cecilie just logged on

Where have you been?  ;D

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 02:05:23 PM
Cecilie just logged on

Where have you been?  ;D

I was just thinking about her! :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.