News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I would mention south park as it does crude jokes intelligently and have something far more to say which lies behind the outwardly immature humor but family guy! nah that's rubbish, its almost like The Simpsons had a child with You've Been Framed then was raised by Jackass.
Retired member.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Bah! Family guy is basically a cartoon version of airplane.  The creator is also a genius and an atheist.  He is also a the major reason I became an atheist.  And they did a parody for every star wars movie.  BRILLIANT!!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Ali

South Park did a thing about how the Family Guy writers come up with jokes that basically ruined Family Guy for me.  So I won't go into it and ruin it for you too.

My favorite shows are True Blood, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dexter, and 30 Rock.  I used to love House, but there is only so many times that you can watch the exact same plot over and over again.  Person gets sick with strange disease.  House and team get diagnosis wrong about 4 times, as person gets sicker and sicker.  In the meantime, House does something to rebel against authority (usually Cutty in the older episodes, and now Foreman).  House has random conversation with someone, says a line like "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar", gets an "aha" look on his face, and figures out the correct diagnosis.  Situation is resolved, but often hinting at the imperfect nature of life (woman goes back to abusive husband, child learns that his father never really wanted him, whatever.)  The end.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on January 05, 2012, 08:12:38 PM
South Park did a thing about how the Family Guy writers come up with jokes that basically ruined Family Guy for me.  So I won't go into it and ruin it for you too.

My favorite shows are True Blood, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dexter, and 30 Rock.  I used to love House, but there is only so many times that you can watch the exact same plot over and over again.  Person gets sick with strange disease.  House and team get diagnosis wrong about 4 times, as person gets sicker and sicker.  In the meantime, House does something to rebel against authority (usually Cutty in the older episodes, and now Foreman).  House has random conversation with someone, says a line like "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar", gets an "aha" look on his face, and figures out the correct diagnosis.  Situation is resolved, but often hinting at the imperfect nature of life (woman goes back to abusive husband, child learns that his father never really wanted him, whatever.)  The end.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

That is the exact reason I stopped watching House
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 05:53:28 PM
Is that a TV show? I know the band Flight of the Conchords, but never heard of a Show by the same name.

Yeah they are a musical comedy act that had a bbc radio 2 show then a two series TV show.
Retired member.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 08:22:43 PM

I love House.  I realize the story type is redundant, but I'm entertained by the things House might do and does.  And I'm still hoping Cuddy returns...Foreman is boring.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 08:22:43 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 05, 2012, 08:12:38 PM

Me to. Given the nature of the work he does I would bet that 80% of his patients should die. It would be a much better program if they did, it is after all only a story. I read an article about ER and its UK parallel Casualty. In ER the ratio of deaths is about half that of reality on Casualty the ratio is spot on what you would expect. So why in House don't thay let at least 50% of the patiants die? It would be far more exciting as you would be on the edge of your seats!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

I get it all family guy jokes are created by manatees.  It is still pretty funny stuff. Finding out that Trey Parker from South Park has a Jewish mother and a Catholic father and chooses to be an Atheist did nothing to hurt my decision to convert to atheism. It seems anyone who actually knows about religion and is well educated switches to Atheism.  Imagine that  ;D
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sweetdeath

I've come to notice most well educated minds are atheists. <3 <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Cheerful!  It's almost 4 on a Friday afternoon, which means that I am 10 minutes away from leaving work, going to the gym, and then going home for the weekend.  Huzzah!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 06, 2012, 10:21:11 PM

Yes that can be a problem, you won't be noticed being clever, its easier being very very odd.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 07, 2012, 01:35:48 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 06, 2012, 10:21:11 PM

Yes that can be a problem, you won't be noticed being clever, its easier being very very odd.
A plan that has worked perfectly in your case
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 06:04:15 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 07, 2012, 01:35:48 AM
A plan that has worked perfectly in your case

Does this mean I've supported a statement with evidence?
I wonder if I've done that before  :-\

I found something to be cheerful about! I looked up atheists in my area and found a whole group of them on facebook. 175 atheists in this insanely Christian town.  I love it   ;D

Tank

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2012, 03:09:01 PM
I found something to be cheerful about! I looked up atheists in my area and found a whole group of them on facebook. 175 atheists in this insanely Christian town.  I love it   ;D
Excellent news! 175 new members coming our way!  ;)