News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Mormon converts to atheism (New Guy)

Started by a-train, January 06, 2011, 12:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a-train

New to the forum
Male
34 years old
Married with two kids.

I'm a lifelong Mormon.  I didn't come from one of those perfect Mormon families, my dad died when my sisters and I were six and younger.  But despite my mother's difficulty in raring us as a widow, I came through my teenage years alive and without any kids (or abortions  :eek: ).  After straying in the foibles of my youth, I experienced a dramatic conversion at age 17 and went on to serve two years as an LDS missionary in North Carolina.  I came home from the mission and married a Presbyterian girl who converted to Mormonism.  We had two kids.  I taught seminary (for anyone familiar with LDS early morning seminary, they know this is not for the faint of heart) and served in other capacities as an LDS priesthood holder.

Long story short, I recently have been pondering and reading (a host of things) and have decided I have no basis of faith and therefore no reason to have faith.  I am a new atheist.

So here I am at the Happy Atheist Forum.

-a-train

LegendarySandwich

Technically, one doesn't "convert" to atheism as it isn't a belief system, but that's just nitpicking. Welcome aboard! Hope you like it here.
 :bananacolor:

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Technically, one doesn't "convert" to atheism as it isn't a belief system, but that's just nitpicking. Welcome aboard! Hope you like it here.
What do you want him to say, that he "deconverted" to atheism?

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Technically, one doesn't "convert" to atheism as it isn't a belief system, but that's just nitpicking. Welcome aboard! Hope you like it here.
What do you want him to say, that he "deconverted" to atheism?
"I deconverted from Mormonism and became an atheist", or something along those lines, would be best, although, like I said, I'm just nitpicking here.

Heretical Rants

a-train

LOL.  I think "convert" is best.  At least it is an actual word.  Besides, "convert" does not in any way connote exclusively the movement of the mind from one system of beliefs to another, or from the absence thereof to some organized system.  It could perhaps refer to the movement of the mind from an organized system to chaos.  But I don't see it that way.  In fact, I think that much of the religious systems out there are closer to chaos anyway.

Still, this is an interesting question.  Does atheism provide one with any system of beliefs or is it simply the absence of such a system?

Certainly atheists possess world paradigms: philosophies by which they live, as diverse as they may be.  Human beings live within the limits of their own paradigm with only the exception of the mentally ill or the psychedelic induced.  The belief systems of the theists are profoundly diverse though they fall into the class of theism.  If an atheist transferred to theism without accepting any particular organized religious system of beliefs, i.e. he/she said "I believe there is a god or gods, but I do not accept any established religion", would we not call such a change a conversion?  And would not that individual possess a new system of beliefs although not codified in any establishment of religion?  I think we would and they would.

Are there any organized systems of belief classed as atheist?  I would say there are.  I've seen friends convert to "non-denominational Christianity", perhaps I've converted to non-denominational atheism.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "a-train"LOL.  I think "convert" is best.  At least it is an actual word.  Besides, "convert" does not in any way connote exclusively the movement of the mind from one system of beliefs to another, or from the absence thereof to some organized system.  It could perhaps refer to the movement of the mind from an organized system to chaos.  But I don't see it that way.  In fact, I think that much of the religious systems out there are closer to chaos anyway.
Fair enough.

QuoteStill, this is an interesting question.  Does atheism provide one with any system of beliefs or is it simply the absence of such a system?
It is simply the absence of such a system, in the same way that not collecting stamps is the absence of a hobby, not a hobby itself.

QuoteCertainly atheists possess world paradigms: philosophies by which they live, as diverse as they may be.
Yes, but atheism itself doesn't require any of them. All that's needed to be an atheist is a lack of belief in any gods.
QuoteAre there any organized systems of belief classed as atheist?  I would say there are.  I've seen friends convert to "non-denominational Christianity", perhaps I've converted to non-denominational atheism.
Belief systems can be atheistic or compatible with atheism, but they are not atheism itself.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, a-train. Thanks for the background info. You'll soon be swamped by questions about the Church of LDS, I'm guessing!

I'd like to also remind members that the introductions are not places to get wrapped up in arguments about anything. If you welcome someone to the forum, then please just stick to that, and save the other stuff for different threads. No big deal here, but just a good time to remind folks. Thanks!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Hi a-train.

Welcome to Happy Atheists, I hope it turns out to be all you wish it to be. Well done on finding your way out from under the comfort blanket of institutionalised superstition (religion).

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

terranus

Bonvenon al la forumo.
Welcome to the forum.  :)
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--