News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What the fuck is wrong with being gay?

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, March 02, 2011, 03:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForTheLoveOfAll

...Other than some imaginary friend in the sky said it's bad?

I've heard people say things like "It destroys our American values/it's the cause of AIDS/the constitution forbids it/etc."

Do you think this is true? Do you think this is bullshit? (I call it bullshit.)

What are some things you hear fundies say is wrong with homosexuality, and what are some retorts to these claims?

Reason I'm asking is I intend on starting a group for Free Thinkers/Atheists/Agnostics/etc. here, and this area is VERY anto-homosexual, and we plan on helping to change that.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Squid

I think, like many things, the idiotic myths attributed to homosexuality are primarily driven by fear...which is the result of ignorance and a failure to understand.  Therefore people must have a basis for their behaviors in demonizing and spurning hatred for a group of people - they must rationalize their behavior for the sake of cognitive continuity and you get those stupid things like homosexuality destroys "American values"...bullshit it is...

Cecilie

Their excuse often goes something like...

Or is that just me?
The world's what you create.

skwurll

I believe the blame rests squarely on the parents who do not properly explain sexuality to their children.
I was always taught that homosexuals are evil individuals who wanted to destroy the sanctity of marriage.
It wasn't until I started surfing the internet and was exposed to differing views that I decided my views for myself.

Luckily I was at the perfect point to shake off the Christian indoctrination, old enough to think for myself, yet young enough to not be completely converted.

Lost

I've mostly heard people say that it is not natural, and goes against the natural desire to procreate. I'm quick to point out that there are a lot of cases of homosexuality in the animal world. And also, that there is more likelyhood of a man being gay if they've got lots of older brothers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_order#Sexuality. Seems pretty natural to me :)

Will

It's a terrible shame that we are required to justify the existence of a type of person. I'm very anxious for us, as a species, to grow up.

Homosexuality is considered different from the norm and thus gay people are mistrusted and hated by the ignorant. The cure to this kind of ignorance is pure intellectual curiosity, that impulse to learn about something you don't understand instead of running from it or attacking it. The best way I know to spark intellectual curiosity is by answering a person's questions as honestly and completely as possible, particularly if that person is younger.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Lost"I've mostly heard people say that it is not natural, and goes against the natural desire to procreate. I'm quick to point out that there are a lot of cases of homosexuality in the animal world. And also, that there is more likelyhood of a man being gay if they've got lots of older brothers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_order#Sexuality. Seems pretty natural to me :)
Exactly.

Humanity in it's most natural states would probably be living in small orgiastic communities. No marriage, no monogamous pair bonding. And most would probably be bi-sexual.

I'm straight, personally, but I'm absolutely sick of people making all these terrible claims about homosexuals.

Quote from: "Cecilie"Their excuse often goes something like...

Or is that just me?
Ohh yes. Like George Carlin says, there are three things that politicians stand behind, and the same thing that most people stand behind when they've got nothing else to defend their case. The Bible, Education, and the children.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Stevil

Christianity seems to have a very unnatural and disproportionatly large focus on sex. They feel they get to decide when people can have sex, whom they can have it with, what positions they are to use. It's all a bit weird really. Some of the top clergy keep themselves celibate, for some reason, as if sex is going to corrupt them or something.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Stevil"Christianity seems to have a very unnatural and disproportionatly large focus on sex. They feel they get to decide when people can have sex, whom they can have it with, what positions they are to use. It's all a bit weird really. Some of the top clergy keep themselves celibate, for some reason, as if sex is going to corrupt them or something.
There was probably some idiot wandering the desert a few thousand years ago who couldn't get any. So he started Christianity. "If I can't get laid, NOBODY gets laid!"

I really can't grasp how some people can think that the God of the Universe, an all powerful, all knowing, omni-present being, really cares about what you do with your genitals. Doesn't he have bigger fish to fry, or is he just bored?  :|
-Carl Sagan

- Bill Hicks

DJAkuma

Seems like the roman empire was doing just fine before christianity screwed it all up, we should bring back the bath houses and brothels for a better society. Maybe if people focus less on keeping people from doing what they want with their genitals they'd get more important things done for a change.

Asmodean

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"...Other than some imaginary friend in the sky said it's bad?
Some peoplke just find same sex relationships distasteful. Many really have little against homosexuality as a sexual orientation, they just don't want to know that two people of the same sex are having... Well, sex.

There are other "wrongs" too, of course, the validity of which is highly subjective.

QuoteI've heard people say things like "It destroys our American values/it's the cause of AIDS/the constitution forbids it/etc."
Oh... You were asking what is wrong with being gay in America..? A whole mob of things, I suppose.

QuoteDo you think this is true? Do you think this is bullshit? (I call it bullshit.)
Never even seen a US constitution, so no opinion there. Never really seen them "American values" either... So still no opinion. As for AIDS, a virus causes it, not homosexuality.

QuoteWhat are some things you hear fundies say is wrong with homosexuality, and what are some retorts to these claims?
"God created a man and a woman. And a man's penis fits perfectly into a woman's vagina" -...And then he gave them free will to screw whomever they would. And that "perfect fit"-thing... Really..? Ever tried having sex with a mother of six..?  :raised:

QuoteReason I'm asking is I intend on starting a group for Free Thinkers/Atheists/Agnostics/etc. here, and this area is VERY anto-homosexual, and we plan on helping to change that.
Well, converting a homophobe can be VERY hard indeed, but if you want to try, it's not a bad thing to do.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sophus

Quote from: "Cecilie"Their excuse often goes something like...

Or is that just me?
To which someone like me would respond... "yeah, but here's the thing, some of those kids are gay."
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"To which someone like me would respond... "yeah, but here's the thing, some of those kids are gay."
There are no gay kids. Only gay parents...

...Or was it bad dogs and bad owners...  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

What the fuck is wrong with being gay?
It makes those trying to deny their predilection uncomfortable.
It's not much but it's all I could come up with.

Tank

People will be comfortable when the subject becomes a non-issue. This happened when Lewis Hamilton joined the McLaren F1 racing team. He is the first black F1 diver, and not one commentator ever mentioned it. The amount of melanin in his skin had become a non-issue, just as it should be.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.