News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Since when was the term "homosexual" offensive?

Started by Byronazriel, November 07, 2010, 03:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

Alright, I've come to the conclusion that I shall just try to avoid the whole situation entirely. I figure that I can reasonably work my way around it, even if it comes up... for whatever reason.

I honestly don't care what sexuality people are, that's their business. I can't think of any reason why I would want to know such a thing, or what difference it could possibly make.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

GAYtheist

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"...we are GAY. Deal with it.
Whoa!  I'm simply trying to figure it out.  I hold on offense to your lifestyle...

Seems to me, through some of the posts you have on here, that you are more trying to excuse people using the term in a clinical way. Not to mention, the question as to whether fag is as acceptable as gay was stunningly offensive, and I answered your question. And I hold on to that quote of mine, not just to you, but to all homophobic fucks, be they Christian, Muslim, Atheist or what...I am gay, deal with it.
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

elliebean

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"...lifestyle...
Oh lordy.  :shake:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"...we are GAY. Deal with it.
Whoa!  I'm simply trying to figure it out.  I hold on offense to your lifestyle...
Seems to me, through some of the posts you have on here, that you are more trying to excuse people using the term in a clinical way. Not to mention, the question as to whether fag is as acceptable as gay was stunningly offensive, and I answered your question. And I hold on to that quote of mine, not just to you, but to all homophobic fucks, be they Christian, Muslim, Atheist or what...I am gay, deal with it.
Someone lives with a chip on their shoulder.  So be it.  I apologize for offending you in wanting to figure out why a word is so offensive when I thought it was PC.
Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"...lifestyle...
Oh lordy.  :brick:

GAYtheist, I hold no offense to you being gay.

GAYtheist

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"Ok, really...now "lifestyle" is offensive?  Is it not...a lifestyle?  Oh wait, it's my tone.   :drool  :brick:
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

Whitney

I didn't even know the word homosexual was offensive till a friend pointed it out to me and I'm surrounded by pro gay rights liberals all the time.  I think it's important to keep in mind that not everyone is going to know how not to offend a minority group when asking questions; especially if they are from a social group (like a conservative church) that is likely to use words that those who have many lgbt friends would know are improper to use.  If I could not know something, I can only imagine how many things someone from a more conservative culture wouldn't know even if they are making an effort to be understanding and asking questions so they can learn.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"It is not your tone, it's more that the word lifestyle intones a choice. Being gay is not a lifestyle, it is how we are born. And I don't live with a chip on my shoulder, I am simply tired of people.
I never insinuated you weren't born that way.  In fact, you don't know what my stance is on gay people.  The only thing you assume and so judge me on is my ignorant use of terms that I clearly had no idea were offensive, yet you find it quite easy to start with the name-calling and claim, "I'm simply tired of people".  Well gay people are people so I gather you're tired of gays too or what do you really mean when you say "people"?
Quote from: "GAYtheist"...Wait...no offense to me being gay...How does my being gay offend anyone to begin with? It's a part of life... :brick:
I don't know, you tell me.  You're the one flinging the F bomb around willy-nilly at someone attempting to get educated on a point that I'm clearly ignorant to and interested in finding the correct terms to use without offending.

GAYtheist

Quote from: "GAYtheist"It is not your tone, it's more that the word lifestyle intones a choice. Being gay is not a lifestyle, it is how we are born. And I don't live with a chip on my shoulder, I am simply tired of people.
I never insinuated you weren't born that way.  In fact, you don't know what my stance is on gay people.  The only thing you assume and so judge me on is my ignorant use of terms that I clearly had no idea were offensive, yet you find it quite easy to start with the name-calling and claim, "I'm simply tired of people".  Well gay people are people so I gather you're tired of gays too or what do you really mean when you say "people"?
Quote from: "GAYtheist"...Wait...no offense to me being gay...How does my being gay offend anyone to begin with? It's a part of life... :brick:
I don't know, you tell me.  You're the one flinging the F bomb around willy-nilly at someone attempting to get educated on a point that I'm clearly ignorant to and interested in finding the correct terms to use without offending.

Actually, by using the term lifestyle, you are essentially saying that it is a choice. I never called you any sort of name, I called religious fuck-wads religious fuck-wads...If you took it as a slam on you, that really isn't my problem. When I say people, I mean religious fuck-wads and people that seem to think that gay people aren't really people. And as far as throwing the F-bomb around willy nilly...Don't care...I swear, live with it.

elliebean

Some clarification of my stance:

1. The word "homosexual" is not inherently, nor even usually offensive, IMO; I only said it is suboptimal and makes you look out of touch, to the point where it raises questions about your level of tolerance/acceptance. It's the kind of thing, if you said it to a room full of LGBT folks, you probably wouldn't be called out on it, but from that point on they might be looking for the next thing you say to be really prejudiced.

2. Words like "fag, "faggot", "tranny", etc. ARE VERY offensive (in the same category as the N bomb), but some gay people use them towards each other with a deliberately derisive tone, and with irony. If you hear them in that context, consider it an inside joke. If you're not in on it, best to just leave it.

3. Some words, like "queer", "dyke", etc. can be used pejoratively, but are also how some people self-identify. Depends on the context.

4. Being gay or trans is as much a lifestyle as being left-handed or right-handed, or being a man or a woman, or being straight, or having naturally curly hair is a lifestyle. That is, you can make a lifestyle out of it if you want to, but if you don't, that doesn't change it.

5. @ AD: My headshake was meant to be half-cheeky; it was my way of saying, "whoa, this is going to take way longer than I originally thought". I'm not offended or upset by anything that's been said so far. The best way to get educated on something is to ask questions, so you're doing right. Keep it up.  :)  I understand being tired of people, but personally, I'm more tired of the ones who don't ask questions and don't care if their words are offensive or contribute further to our oppression. The LGBTQI community needs more straight allies, especially in christendom, and the way to win them over is not to come off like angry militants. I get angry too, but I find more and more that it never helps to show it.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

GAYtheist

Quote from: "elliebean"Some clarification of my stance:

1. The word "homosexual" is not inherently, nor even usually offensive, IMO; I only said it is suboptimal and makes you look out of touch, to the point where it raises questions about your level of tolerance/acceptance. It's the kind of thing, if you said it to a room full of LGBT folks, you probably wouldn't be called out on it, but from that point on they might be looking for the next thing you say to be really prejudiced.

2. Words like "fag, "faggot", "tranny", etc. ARE VERY offensive (in the same category as the N bomb), but some gay people use them towards each other with a deliberately derisive tone, and with irony. If you hear them in that context, consider it an inside joke. If you're not in on it, best to just leave it.

3. Some words, like "queer", "dyke", etc. can be used pejoratively, but are also how some people self-identify. Depends on the context.

4. Being gay or trans is as much a lifestyle as being left-handed or right-handed, or being a man or a woman, or being straight, or having naturally curly hair is a lifestyle. That is, you can make a lifestyle out of it if you want to, but if you don't, that doesn't change it.

5. @ AD: My headshake was meant to be half-cheeky; it was my way of saying, "whoa, this is going to take way longer than I originally thought". I'm not offended or upset by anything that's been said so far. The best way to get educated on something is to ask questions, so you're doing right. Keep it up.  :)  I understand being tired of people, but personally, I'm more tired of the ones who don't ask questions and don't care if their words are offensive or contribute further to our oppression. The LGBTQI community needs more straight allies, especially in christendom, and the way to win them over is not to come off like angry militants. I get angry too, but I find more and more that it never helps to show it.

Fair enough. I get a bit ranty sometimes, and, in my defense, sometimes it can be hard to decipher the...tone of voice I guess you'd call it, on a forum. And you're right about the people I'm generally tired of, and the one's you mentioned are the ones I call religious fuck-wads...and I still hold to that. Numbers one through four are basically what I've been trying to say, you just said much more eloquently that I did. Thanks.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "GAYtheist"Actually, by using the term lifestyle, you are essentially saying that it is a choice. I never called you any sort of name, I called religious fuck-wads religious fuck-wads...If you took it as a slam on you, that really isn't my problem. When I say people, I mean religious fuck-wads and people that seem to think that gay people aren't really people. And as far as throwing the F-bomb around willy nilly...Don't care...I swear, live with it.
I hope this doesn't offend you, but I'm going to say it simply to state my stance.  If I use terms which offend you or are known to offend the gay community (I can't even be sure if that is offensive now), I apologize in advance and hope you understand that this is coming from a person with a good handful of gay friends, yet ignorant to much.  I have never really opened up and said or asked these questions of them.  I've just steered clear of known offenses. In the least, this has given me good reason to confront these topics with them.

That being said; I really have no understanding how the words homosexual and lifestyle can be offensive.  They do not come to us as the other obviously offensive terms such as 'fag' or the like.  Just because some ignorant individuals that hold the same belief in the "God" that I do interpret things dealing with gay people, (see I even feel odd saying it that way) IMHO, totally wrong.  You seemed to lump me and they into the F-wad category when you said;
Quote from: "GAYtheist"...not just to you, but to all homophobic fucks...
Now I accept your clarification that you didn't mean me specifically, but that was my perception and I threw me back for a moment as I thought I was clearly trying to educate myself.  Here endeth this.  :)

6.  True.  I'm not intentionally being thick.  I may very well have been offending my gay friends all the while thinking I was being PC or "tolerant".  I will have to go and ask now.  I hope asking wont offend them if I don't ask properly.

elliebean and GAYtheist, re: Allies in christendom:  Whether the majority of "Christianity" takes the gay community in or not is of no real consequence.  I don't mean to preach, so suffice to say, Christ's "allies" turned against Him.  It only takes a hand reaching out to see His hand has always been there for the taking.  It makes no difference if I am gay or not gay.  His hand is there to take hold of and HE will do the holding as long as we keep reaching.  If there is "...no male nor female, for you are all one..." then I interpret that to include, "no gay nor straight".  (plz forgive the poor wording).

The Magic Pudding

It is good to see people going a bit lighter on AD, constantly apologising must grate after a while.

I don't think Trani is offensive here, but we abbreviate and add an i sound to just about anything.

Willow

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 29, 2011, 02:12:58 AM
It is good to see people going a bit lighter on AD, constantly apologising must grate after a while.

I don't think Trani is offensive here, but we abbreviate and add an i sound to just about anything.

Be assured Puddling, whether you spell it "tranni" or "tranny" it is offensive.  Best just to say "trans" but "transgender" is also acceptable.