A few miscellaneous thoughts about the imminent demise of Big Bang Theory:

Started by Rift Zone, March 19, 2018, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift Zone

Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 05:11:24 PM
You should probably get a hold of Betsy DeVos, she doesn't understand science either.
Got her number?   i'll get her a beer so we can both cry in one.   
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 01:34:44 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 20, 2018, 10:03:38 PM
It's in the wrong section?    Oops, my bad.    You should petition to have it placed in a more appropriate location.
So you're admitting that what you're presenting is not science then?
I admit I'm gonna establish 21st century physics.

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 05:13:27 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 05:11:24 PM
You should probably get a hold of Betsy DeVos, she doesn't understand science either.
Got her number?   i'll get her a beer so we can both cry in one.
Oh, you don't already know her? I figured all the science deniers knew each other.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2018, 05:24:20 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 01:34:44 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 20, 2018, 10:03:38 PM
It's in the wrong section?    Oops, my bad.    You should petition to have it placed in a more appropriate location.
So you're admitting that what you're presenting is not science then?
I admit I'm gonna establish 21st century physics.

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html
Good link that, Hermes!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Rift Zone

you guys know there's a really good chance your not too distant progeny will have greater awareness of and more respect for me than you, right?    you think you're gonna hurt my feelings?   lol   you're sadly mistaken.  emotional stability ranks as my strongest preference in sloan/global5, in the 90's.   The only thing I'm doing here is watching people as they demonstrate qualities that make other people revere genius so much in the first place.   We are, after all, very different types of creatures.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Recusant

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 01:15:12 AM
My apologies, I'm not familiar with him.  The reference is lost on me.   Is CMB Cosmic Microwave Background?  ...oh, predictions!   Is that where you 're going with this?   BBT had their prediction at 50 Kelvin when the findings were released.   And plasma cosmology had their value, established for different reasons, within a few K.   Dozens of predictions of background radiation have come from dozens of stances.  It's not a unique feature of a cosmological theory.    BBT's love of CMB is essentially unfounded.

So, was that it?   if not, you lost me.

You can read about Apher's work here.

QuoteThe first prediction of the existence of "relict radiation" or radiation remaining from the "Big Bang" was made in 1948.

In 1964 Wilson and Penzias noticed something incongruous in the output of the the Bell Labs horn antenna.  Eventually realized they were looking something of significance, and in the Astrophysical Journal they published their findings along with a letter by Dicke et al. explaining the significance of the discovery. Wilson and Penzias received a Nobel Prize.

Given that scientists make predictions (aka hypotheses), while scientific theories are products of the work of scientists, technically you are correct that "BBT has never made an accurate prediction." On the other hand, Apher along with Robert Herman hypothesized ("predicted") that there would be residual radiation from the initial phases of the evolution of the cosmos. This radiation was later observed by Wilson and Penzias.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 07:32:30 PM
you guys know there's a really good chance your not too distant progeny will have greater awareness of and more respect for me than you, right?
Self aggrandizement, because no one else will.

Quote from: Rift Zoneyou think you're gonna hurt my feelings?[...]
I don't care about your feelings one way or the other.

Quote from: Rift ZoneThe only thing I'm doing here is watching people as they demonstrate qualities that make other people revere genius so much in the first place.   We are, after all, very different types of creatures.
You're spouting bullshit here and avoiding direct questions and challenges. That is preaching. Maybe you're really a genius, maybe you're not, but in the words of yourself, "So, even if I was some kind of elite intellectual, it don't mean shit."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Rift Zone

Quote from: Recusant on March 21, 2018, 07:45:15 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 01:15:12 AM
My apologies, I'm not familiar with him.  The reference is lost on me.   Is CMB Cosmic Microwave Background?  ...oh, predictions!   Is that where you 're going with this?   BBT had their prediction at 50 Kelvin when the findings were released.   And plasma cosmology had their value, established for different reasons, within a few K.   Dozens of predictions of background radiation have come from dozens of stances.  It's not a unique feature of a cosmological theory.    BBT's love of CMB is essentially unfounded.

So, was that it?   if not, you lost me.

You can read about Apher's work here.

QuoteThe first prediction of the existence of "relict radiation" or radiation remaining from the "Big Bang" was made in 1948.

In 1964 Wilson and Penzias noticed something incongruous in the output of the the Bell Labs horn antenna.  Eventually realized they were looking something of significance, and in the Astrophysical Journal they published their findings along with a letter by Dicke et al. explaining the significance of the discovery. Wilson and Penzias received a Nobel Prize.

Given that scientists make predictions (aka hypotheses), while scientific theories are products of the work of scientists, technically you are correct that "BBT has never made an accurate prediction." On the other hand, Apher along with Robert Herman hypothesized ("predicted") that there would be residual radiation from the initial phases of the evolution of the cosmos. This radiation was later observed by Wilson and Penzias.
Yea, everyone's favorite story about that horn antenna was them going so far as to clean all the pidgeon poo off it to try to clean up their signal.   It was a chance crossing of info with people working on the other end of things that finally put it all together and enabled them to know what they were hearing was of cosmic origin.   I have a real good understanding of humanity's understanding.   anyway, lots of theories have predicted that background radiation for lots of different reasons.   The fact they had one is quite meaningless.    The fact they were off by magnitudes is more significant.   

Recusant

Working off of a private definition again, apparently. Only if you personally give your imprimatur to something does it gain any standing.

Please tell me about all the other predictions regarding the existence of "that background radiation" as well as the "lots of different reasons" hypothesized for the hypothetical radiation.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Rift Zone

private definitions?   Come now Recusant, show a little respect for my scientific rigor...    It does, after all, demonstrate adherence to physical reality better than anything else you ever seen.    Blindly lashing out on things you don't understand may not serve you well.   
minute 32 has the answers you seek. 

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 09:06:08 PM

Fuck that video is hilarious. I'll have to watch the whole thing later. You actually take that seriously?

Rift Zone

Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 09:13:08 PM
Fuck that video is hilarious. I'll have to watch the whole thing later. You actually take that seriously?

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 09:17:39 PM

Oh, you poor little thing. :sad sigh: Do you really think that you're the victim of violence?

Rift Zone

Quote from: Davin on March 21, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 09:17:39 PM

Oh, you poor little thing. :sad sigh: Do you really think that you're the victim of violence?
I suppose everyone needs a pet...   just wish it were better house trained. 

Rift Zone

...all up in my mix, humping my leg, clearly has no life otherwise, follows me around every moment...    that's a good boy.