News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

In Reason We trust

Started by m.condon, February 08, 2012, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.condon

http://www.change.org/petitions/gov-mitch-daniels-in-in-state-senate-in-state-house-allow-in-residents-to-receive-in-reason-we-trust-license-plates
Currently in my home state of Indiana there if only one liscense plate offered for free and it contains the exclusionary motto "In God We Trust"
Recently some Southern states, such as South Carolina, have started offering a secular alternative to the "In God We Trust" liscense plates. It includes a new motto "In Reason We Trust", a motto I think we can all stand behind regardless of religion.
The above link is a petition to Governor Mitch Daniels asking Indiana to offer the "In Reason We Trust" plates as a free secular alternative
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Magic Pudding

I attempted to make a joke of finding a replacement for "in god we trust."
"In Reason We trust" is OK, I'd prefer "With reason we try."
Trust is a bit suspect, prevail, succeed, see, learn, find.
I'm not a triumphalist and "in ourselves we doubt" has some appeal.

Sweetdeath

"In reason we try" I really like a lot.
I live in NYC, but if I ever move, and need a car, i'll definitely be sad if my liscense plate has to say something about god. Why do we need a subtext at all, really? It should just say your state and plate number.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Traveler

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 09, 2012, 12:56:08 AM
...Why do we need a subtext at all, really? It should just say your state and plate number.

This. Any subtext us going to bug someone, regardless of how seemingly innocuous. If someone wants to say something on their plate let them pay the extra for a custom plate, or one of the charity ones.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

skwurll

Can't they just have license plates without a potentially inflammatory statement on them?

Tank

Quote from: skwurll on February 09, 2012, 04:31:33 AM
Can't they just have license plates without a potentially inflammatory statement on them?

Exactly!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2012, 07:36:21 AM
Quote from: skwurll on February 09, 2012, 04:31:33 AM

Exactly!

Seconded. Isn't the whole point of a license plate to help identify a car rather than making a statement?
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

I never actually noticed the "i god we trust" on plates until you guys mentioned it . Now i'm going to notice it all the   time.  :(

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

Glad I live in Norway. My licence plate only has two letters and some numbers on them. Thats it.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 09, 2012, 05:37:22 PM
Glad I live in Norway. My licence plate only has two letters and some numbers on them. Thats it.
Right now Norway and/or Uk are looking more and more likely place to live.

Amicale

In Canada, each of our provices has its own slogan.

Alberta - Wild Rose Country.
Manitoba - Friendly.
Quebec - Je m'souviens (means 'I remember')
Yukon Territory - The Klondike
Prince Edward Island - Confederation Bridge
British Columbia - Beautiful
Nova Scotia - Canada's Ocean Playground
Saskatchewan - Land of the Living Skies
Nunavut/Northwest Territories - Explore Canada's Arctic
Newfoundland & Labrador - A World of Difference (although apparently it doesn't show up on newer plates)
New Brunswick - Conservation
Ontario - Yours to Discover

So, some of them may be a bit obscure, but they're all secular. Fine with me. We don't have references to God on our money either.

Yeah, we're a bunch of liberal lefties up here.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Traveler

Quote from: Amicale on February 10, 2012, 01:52:43 AM
...So, some of them may be a bit obscure, but they're all secular. Fine with me. We don't have references to God on our money either.

Cool beans. I'll pack my truck and be right there. ;)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Amicale

Quote from: Traveler on February 10, 2012, 02:47:54 AM
Quote from: Amicale on February 10, 2012, 01:52:43 AM
...So, some of them may be a bit obscure, but they're all secular. Fine with me. We don't have references to God on our money either.

Cool beans. I'll pack my truck and be right there. ;)

Woohoo!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan