News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Banned but can still post?

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 31, 2011, 01:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I've switched to Google Chrome, but when last trying to refresh the page I get this message:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Sorry xSilverPhinx, you are banned from using this forum!
Spam server, please change your ISP to access this site.

???

I had just logged into a VPN server, could that have caused it?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Xjeepguy

If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

xSilverPhinx

Me too, but I had assigned a new IP address to myself so that I could watch a National Geographic documentary (can't access some of those from where I'm at) and this happened. Was it an automatic process or was Tank behind it? :P

I'm in an interesting place though, I've seen what's on the other side and can still post here to talk about it ;D

xSilverPhinx

I've disconnected the VPN but still can't log into my account using Chrome. ???

Ildiko

Are you trying to log in with Chrome while you are still logged in with another open browser? I mean, to effectively log in twice. Because that might blow the system's tiny electronic mind.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 01:29:50 AM
I've switched to Google Chrome, but when last trying to refresh the page I get this message:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Sorry xSilverPhinx, you are banned from using this forum!
Spam server, please change your ISP to access this site.

???

I had just logged into a VPN server, could that have caused it?
The ban that caught you is a blanket ban raised by me (I can tell by the message) based on a range of IPs that are inhabited by spammers. The trouble is I can't tell which IP you attempted to get in on and thus modify the ban triggers to give access to that paticular IP. It is definitly the VPN that caused the problem. The particular IP on that VPN must be in a group with a spammer history. Google Chrome would not have caused the issue.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 01:44:20 AM
Me too, but I had assigned a new IP address to myself so that I could watch a National Geographic documentary (can't access some of those from where I'm at) and this happened. Was it an automatic process or was Tank behind it? :P

I'm in an interesting place though, I've seen what's on the other side and can still post here to talk about it ;D
If you know the IP you attempted to log in on please drop me a PM with the details so I can investigate the problem.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Ok, I'll try to find the IP HotSpot Shield assigned me.

Looks like a stroke of bad luck, then. This had neve happened while using it before.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 04:17:24 PM
Ok, I'll try to find the IP HotSpot Shield assigned me.

Looks like a stroke of bad luck, then. This had neve happened while using it before.
I think that is the case. One ban covered 800+ existing spammer users that had joined since the forum moved and mid August.