News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by jumbojak, March 04, 2019, 03:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Semi-dream states are weird, aren't they? Last night I was neither awake nor asleep, listening to roomie snoring and thinking to myself:

Damn, all those snore sounds are really square!

It made so much sense to me then that a snore could be square in shape. It didn't make so much sense once I woke up. :lol: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Did you study any Fourier Analysis in Uni? Maybe your sleep state brought back some memories. Here's what your roomy would have to generate in order to produce square waves (scroll down to Fourier Analysis)-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave

Didn't know it was going to get all mathy in here, eh?  :D

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 31, 2019, 03:15:13 PM
Did you study any Fourier Analysis in Uni? Maybe your sleep state brought back some memories. Here's what your roomy would have to generate in order to produce square waves (scroll down to Fourier Analysis)-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave

In other words a squarewave requires a sine wave of the given frequency plus all its odd harmonics (an infinite series).  Quite an achievement for the human vocal system!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 31, 2019, 03:15:13 PM

None whatsoever!  ;D Maybe that's why I'm still sane. Relatively...

Magdalena

I've been typing a letter "to perfection" for the past three days.  :sad sigh:
Today I named the file: "FINAL FINAL FINAL LETTER"  :picard facepalm:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 20, 2019, 05:29:57 AM

:therethere: Oh Mags, a letter is never final! :lol:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 20, 2019, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 20, 2019, 05:29:57 AM

:therethere: Oh Mags, a letter is never final! :lol:

But, as in painting, the trick is knowing when to stop.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I always found it comical the way people who try to manipulate or micromanage others plan out their strategies as if they were playing a chess game against themselves. They move their board pieces and that of the other party or adversary, ultimately failing to see that the other party has other plans and is not a passive player in the game.

A lot of people do this and yet are so blind to that fact. Some people act as if others think the same way, or hold the same values. Then life punches them in the face and they don't know why.

A relative of mine always does that. She always makes the same mistake when it comes to judging another person's intent and motivations. She acts like that person is a mental mirror image and will act as she would. 

Are people just really bad planners? Do they fail at contingency planning like it's rocket science? 

(I'm reminded of the proverb, 'in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.')

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2019, 02:11:21 AM
I always found it comical the way people who try to manipulate or micromanage others plan out their strategies as if they were playing a chess game against themselves. They move their board pieces and that of the other party or adversary, ultimately failing to see that the other party has other plans and is not a passive player in the game.

A lot of people do this and yet are so blind to that fact. Some people act as if others think the same way, or hold the same values. Then life punches them in the face and they don't know why.

A relative of mine always does that. She always makes the same mistake when it comes to judging another person's intent and motivations. She acts like that person is a mental mirror image and will act as she would. 

Are people just really bad planners? Do they fail at contingency planning like it's rocket science? 

(I'm reminded of the proverb, 'in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.')

This is something I'm actually pretty good at. I can plan things out considering expected reactions based on past experience with someone and hit the mark fairly often. I try to have an open mind about people and realistic expectations, which helps.

You have to plan based on what someone is likely to do instead of what you would like them to do, if you catch my drift. People can be unpredictable though so a contingency plan is always good to have in your back pocket.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Where I used to work, part of my job was to write work instructions on how to put the supplied parts together. I would have drawings and the instructions all set up on a computer with a projection screen, and show what and where the parts were, and the order of assembly and use of the ground support equipment (crane, stand to mount the hardware on to move it where it can be tested). Everybody was clear on what/when/where. After the first run through of the operation, one guy complained that there were too many steps in the procedure. Like a dumbass, I broke the process into the deliverable hardware steps and the ground support operation steps. Then the guy bitched that he didn't know how to handle the deliverable hardware steps while using the ground support equipment steps. I pointed out that since I was conducting the operations, that didn't matter, as I can open up more than one procedure and run them in parallel. Quality engineering finally buckled, and I did, too, and we wrote paperwork to "correct" that "problem"...because the guy wasn't going to sign off any steps until we did. The next time the guy tried that shit, I had management backup in the meeting where we discussed what we were going to what/where/when, and got through without changes. Changes cost time and money, and in this case they were completely needless. I realized that I had fallen into that asshole's game by changing things to accommodate his request.

Then, on a later program, our functional organization offered up this asshole for our use. I wasn't gentle in my explanation to the current program management as to why this guy would be unwelcome in our operation. Can't always win, but this was one time. Not long after that I retired, and they can have that asshole. As far as I know, he's still working there.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 21, 2019, 03:20:37 AM
Where I used to work, part of my job was to write work instructions on how to put the supplied parts together. I would have drawings and the instructions all set up on a computer with a projection screen, and show what and where the parts were, and the order of assembly and use of the ground support equipment (crane, stand to mount the hardware on to move it where it can be tested). Everybody was clear on what/when/where. After the first run through of the operation, one guy complained that there were too many steps in the procedure. Like a dumbass, I broke the process into the deliverable hardware steps and the ground support operation steps. Then the guy bitched that he didn't know how to handle the deliverable hardware steps while using the ground support equipment steps. I pointed out that since I was conducting the operations, that didn't matter, as I can open up more than one procedure and run them in parallel. Quality engineering finally buckled, and I did, too, and we wrote paperwork to "correct" that "problem"...because the guy wasn't going to sign off any steps until we did. The next time the guy tried that shit, I had management backup in the meeting where we discussed what we were going to what/where/when, and got through without changes. Changes cost time and money, and in this case they were completely needless. I realized that I had fallen into that asshole's game by changing things to accommodate his request.

Then, on a later program, our functional organization offered up this asshole for our use. I wasn't gentle in my explanation to the current program management as to why this guy would be unwelcome in our operation. Can't always win, but this was one time. Not long after that I retired, and they can have that asshole. As far as I know, he's still working there.

The people who write Lego instructions are the best at this.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

But those are almost all pictures!  ;D

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.