News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Adopting

Started by KDbeads, May 17, 2010, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  We are looking into adopting an older child through the state here in the next year or 2, thinking 4-8 years old.

What are the challenges when dealing with these agencies when the question of religion comes up?
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Whitney

Aren't there ways to adopt kids out of state run foster care?  The state can't violate your religious freedom so they wouldn't be allowed to ask your religious views (I would assume).

KDbeads

There are a ton of ways to adopt but going through the state we would get financial assistance, if we were to go private it would cost us a small fortune.  Plus there are so many older kids in the state system out here already, we wouldn't have to wait 2 or 3 + years, just 6 months to a year.  We aren't getting any younger  :|
I have had a few people to tell me to go through a state agency in Austin, as they are more open minded.

Hubby and I have discussed this at length and he thinks it shouldn't be a problem since we are both well versed in several religions, him even having studied for seminary at one point.  As for me... I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

As soon as he lands a job back in his field we are going to start the paperwork.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Whitney.... I just reread your post.... you know it really helps to have caffeine fully into your system and the cats off the keyboard before responding  :blush:

Pulling a kid(s) out of foster care would be our number one goal.

Whitney

I would mark humanist on the paperwork.

KDbeads

hmm...  Now that's an idea :D

Tank

:pop:  Tagged for interest, in wrong country to offer any practical advise.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.