News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

^Escher must have had a fertile (or warped) mind.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 20, 2018, 05:56:30 AM
^Escher must have had a fertile (or warped) mind.
He was something of a genius in my eyes - I get far more pleasure out of his work that that of many conventional artists. But I like Dürer as well and he can be very dark.

Just realised that I prefer monochrome to colour in art (apart from in abstract patterns and 'simple' images), wonder what that means?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

Mathematicians have talked to Escher about symmetry, claiming that they have learned from him.

Dave, as far as the b&w pics, I recall that it is claimed that most adults dream in b&w. I know that that is not true for me, though. Do you dream in b&w? Or am I assuming that "monochrome" only means b&w?

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on September 20, 2018, 02:41:07 PM
Mathematicians have talked to Escher about symmetry, claiming that they have learned from him.

Dave, as far as the b&w pics, I recall that it is claimed that most adults dream in b&w. I know that that is not true for me, though. Do you dream in b&w? Or am I assuming that "monochrome" only means b&w?

Can't actually remember whether I dream in B&W or not! I can think in 3D colour images, even when planning thst which is not yet there.

Monochrome is taken to be B&W but it can actually be tones of a singke colour. Many of da Vinci's sketches are in red chalk, I like those aldo. Posdibly, for me, colour distracts from the substance of some things, though it can add an extra dimension to others. I am by no means a minimalist but prefer plain white walls with mainly B&W pictures. Though colour does exist, my fun wall has coloured cartoons and also one piece of my own few attempts at art, 'Primary 1'. 'Primary 2' needs maths and woodwork to achieve and I have not yet got around to it.

Red white and blue predominate, though not for patriotic reasons! Can't find much stuff in vibrant yellow. Black figures (in bedding, along with red).

Primary 1

Looks like it needs a clean and some maitenance. Each section is a little shorter than A4.

(Green is NOT a primary colour and has no place in my scheme of things, happy to enjoy it outside!!)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 03:50:24 PM

Can't actually remember whether I dream in B&W or not! I can think in 3D colour images, even when planning thst which is not yet there.

Monochrome is taken to be B&W but it can actually be tones of a singke colour. Many of da Vinci's sketches are in red chalk, I like those aldo. Posdibly, for me, colour distracts from the substance of some things, though it can add an extra dimension to others. I am by no means a minimalist but prefer plain white walls with mainly B&W pictures. Though colour does exist, my fun wall has coloured cartoons and also one piece of my own few attempts at art, 'Primary 1'. 'Primary 2' needs maths and woodwork to achieve and I have not yet got around to it.

Red white and blue predominate, though not for patriotic reasons! Can't find much stuff in vibrant yellow. Black figures (in bedding, along with red).

Primary 1

Looks like it needs a clean and some maitenance. Each section is a little shorter than A4.

(Green is NOT a primary colour and has no place in my scheme of things, happy to enjoy it outside!!)

I definitely dream in full, vibrant colour. Your art reminds me of Mondrian and Malevich. Are you familiar with the colour experiments of Josef Albers when he was lecturing at the Bauhaus and later in the USA?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

I love Mondrian's art! I'll look up Albers a little later today. As soon as I finish my breakfast, I'm off to my wood carving class.

xSilverPhinx

...I recall that it is claimed that most adults dream in b&w. ...

This doesn't make sense to me. Colours are some sort of qualitative 'brain language' that don't actually exist in the world outside our bodies. In other words, our eyes pick up light frequencies and 'translate' them into the colours we experience. Since the brain makes use of colours during wakefulness, why not during sleep as well?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: Fireball on September 20, 2018, 04:38:07 PM
I love Mondrian's art! I'll look up Albers a little later today. As soon as I finish my breakfast, I'm off to my wood carving class.

I would love to see what you're working on and also some finished pieces.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 04:38:16 PM

This doesn't make sense to me. Colours are some sort of qualitative 'brain language' that don't actually exist in the world outside our bodies. In other words, our eyes pick up light frequencies and 'translate' them into the colours we experience. Since the brain makes use of colours during wakefulness, why not during sleep as well?

How I know with certainty that I dream in colour is that I have had numerous dreams where I am working on very large scale paintings in a style similar to those of Barnett Newman and Ellsworth Kelly. In my dreams I see myself planning and painting those big colour fields of pure colour in paintings of about 3m wide by 2m high. I can see the vivid reds, blues, and greens clearly in my dreams.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 04:56:58 PM

How I know with certainty that I dream in colour is that I have had numerous dreams where I am working on very large scale paintings in a style similar to those of Barnett Newman and Ellsworth Kelly. In my dreams I see myself planning and painting those big colour fields of pure colour in paintings of about 3m wide by 2m high. I can see the vivid reds, blues, and greens clearly in my dreams.

Do you paint while awake as well? :tellmemore:

No one

I too dream in color. Although, on many many occasions, I've been told I am just a big kid.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 05:46:53 PM

Yes, I have done and sold a fair amount of painting and sculpture. I was even offered an exhibition by one of the Left Bank commercial galleries in Paris once, but because of the war situation in Beirut, where I was living, I couldn't do it. These days I'm doing more sculptural work.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 06:23:41 PM

Yes, I have done and sold a fair amount of painting and sculpture. I was even offered an exhibition by one of the Left Bank commercial galleries in Paris once, but because of the war situation in Beirut, where I was living, I couldn't do it. These days I'm doing more sculptural work.

That's so cool! I didn't know you were that accomplished. 8)

I've tried my hand at art & crafts when I was a kid, but it didn't amount to much, heh. I think I may be a bit clumsy, as I always seemed to get more paint on me than on the canvas. I was told I was creative though, at least that's something. ::) 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 06:30:17 PM

I've tried my hand at art & crafts when I was a kid, but it didn't amount to much, heh. I think I may be a bit clumsy, as I always seemed to get more paint on me than on the canvas. I was told I was creative though, at least that's something. ::)

Now, do people like neuroscientisrs and artists (and design technicians) use similar parts of their brains to create and "project" mental images I wonder? I have to "see" what I want mentally before I can create it in the physical world. Does a brainworker or surgeon build a mental "map", but like the others, adjusting it to fit reality (or final form for the creative jobs) as the work progresses?

But art and engineering tend to evolve the concept physically as progress is made, the medical worker has to evolve the theory to suit the physical facts,.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 06:30:17 PM

Now, do people like neuroscientisrs and artists (and design technicians) use similar parts of their brains to create and "project" mental images I wonder? I have to "see" what I want mentally before I can create it in the physical world. Does a brainworker or surgeon build a mental "map", but like the others, adjusting it to fit reality (or final form for the creative jobs) as the work progresses?

But art and engineering tend to evolve the concept physically as progress is made, the medical worker has to evolve the theory to suit the physical facts,.

I can only speak for myself. Something (a shape, a piece of music, a texture) triggers a flash or a mental image that I then feel compelled to create. I guess one can call it inspiration. But during the creation process serendipity can play a big part. I enjoy and exploit "happy accidents".
― Charles Eames