News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What would God have to do?

Started by perspective, May 21, 2009, 04:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perspective

What would God (the Christian one, becuase He is the only one) have to do to in your life to prove that He was real, and why do you think you are owed that?

curiosityandthecat

What would he have to do to prove he was real? Well, be real!

-Curio

perspective

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"What would he have to do to prove he was real? Well, be real!

I do love when you post. Always a classic line.  :pop:

Miss Anthrope

Well, a god would actually have to appear to me (and others so that I would know I wasn't just schizophrenic) and do things which are supernatural/physically impossible.

Why do I think a god, or as you are probably implying, the Christian God, would owe that to me. Simple, it's ridiculous and unjust to condemn people, a majority of them based on typical Christian beliefs, to burn in hell forever simply for not belieiving in something for which there is no proof. I mean, really, not only is it all based on taking a leap of faith, but it also hinges on taking the "correct" leap of faith, meaning the odds are against most of the world's inhabitants (Muslims, Wiccans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc).
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

BadPoison

I would need him to explain the problem of evil in a way that doesn't make me think he himself deserves eternal torment in hell.

BadPoison

Quote from: "Miss Anthrope"Why do I think a god, or as you are probably implying, the Christian God, would owe that to me. Simple, it's ridiculous and unjust to condemn people, a majority of them based on typical Christian beliefs, to burn in hell forever simply for not belieiving in something for which there is no proof. I mean, really, not only is it all based on taking a leap of faith, but it also hinges on taking the "correct" leap of faith, meaning the odds are against most of the world's inhabitants (Muslims, Wiccans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc).
If it were all true (which I highly doubt) it's unfair that those who lived in the time of burning bushes, men truly walking on water (magician's tricks not included,) and resurrections get to see these 'miracles' with their own eyes, while I am expected to just believe based on an illogical faith in one particular holy book.

perspective

I myself spoke to a man from Pakistan who used to be a muslim. He had never even seen a Bible before, let alone read one. The only thing he knew about Jesus was what he read in the Quran. He had a vision of a man that shown bright like the sun, and this man told him in arabic, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He did not know what it meant but he searched out a Bible and read. He became a Christian, but he had to flee his whole family out of fear that he would be beheaded. He is now in America. Did you know that hundreds of muslims are having similiar visions and are turning to Christianity. But, I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count?

MariaEvri

three things:
1. appear to me
2. make all of cyprus's dams full in less than a minute (with water, I dont like his usuals, locusts, blood and dead kids, we dont drink those)
3.  Make amputated limps grow back without the help of science (cause they're doing experiments on that field too)
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

BadPoison

Quote from: "perspective"I myself spoke to a man from Pakistan who used to be a muslim. He had never even seen a Bible before, let alone read one. The only thing he knew about Jesus was what he read in the Quran. He had a vision of a man that shown bright like the sun, and this man told him in arabic, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He did not know what it meant but he searched out a Bible and read. He became a Christian, but he had to flee his whole family out of fear that he would be beheaded. He is now in America. Did you know that hundreds of muslims are having similiar visions and are turning to Christianity. But, I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count?
Why are they getting neato visions and not me? Am I not worthy? Or am I just too "close-minded."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "perspective"I myself spoke to a man from Pakistan who used to be a muslim. He had never even seen a Bible before, let alone read one. The only thing he knew about Jesus was what he read in the Quran. He had a vision of a man that shown bright like the sun, and this man told him in arabic, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He did not know what it meant but he searched out a Bible and read. He became a Christian, but he had to flee his whole family out of fear that he would be beheaded. He is now in America. Did you know that hundreds of muslims are having similiar visions and are turning to Christianity. But, I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count?
I once spoke to a couple ballers who didn't agree with me, philosophically. See, I used to live in West Philadelphia. I was born and raised there, and spent quite a bit of my time on the playground, chilling, relaxing, playing basketball, you know. Unfortunately, one day after school a couple of guys started making trouble and my mother, being overprotective, got scared after I got into one little fight. She decided to send me to live with her sister and brother-in-law in Bel Air.

So, I called a taxi. When it came close I noticed the license plate said "FRESH" and some dice were hanging from the rearview mirror. I thought to myself, 'Well, this is a rare sight,' but quickly dismissed that idea. "To Bel-Air, my good man," I told the driver.

After a long drive, we pulled up to a rather stately home, whereupon I thanked the driver and sent him on his way. I surveyed my new castle and felt rather royal, and thus decided to take my place upon my throne as the Prince of Bel Air. Did you know hundreds of people are also getting in fights and moving to California? I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count.
-Curio

perspective

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
I once spoke to a couple ballers who didn't agree with me, philosophically. See, I used to live in West Philadelphia. I was born and raised there, and spent quite a bit of my time on the playground, chilling, relaxing, playing basketball, you know. Unfortunately, one day after school a couple of guys started making trouble and my mother, being overprotective, got scared after I got into one little fight. She decided to send me to live with her sister and brother-in-law in Bel Air.

So, I called a taxi. When it came close I noticed the license plate said "FRESH" and some dice were hanging from the rearview mirror. I thought to myself, 'Well, this is a rare sight,' but quickly dismissed that idea. "To Bel-Air, my good man," I told the driver.

After a long drive, we pulled up to a rather stately home, whereupon I thanked the driver and sent him on his way. I surveyed my new castle and felt rather royal, and thus decided to take my place upon my throne as the Prince of Bel Air. Did you know hundreds of people are also getting in fights and moving to California? I guess the accounts of hundreds of people don't count.

Ahhh yes, neon colors and flat tops. But I don't get your point. Are you saying these people are making up their stories. Seems like a crazy thing to make up with the treat of loosing your family and getting your head removed.

Whitney

I got a simple way that would not require God to do anything supernatural.  He would just have to inspire a philosopher (let's make it an atheist philosopher just for fun) to come up with an argument not only for a god but the Christian God that is so water tight that all the other atheists philosophers have no choice but to convert to Christianity since they would then know it was true.  Basically, God would have to logically prove himself.  :D

McQ

He'd have to be able to fake me out with the Three Card Monty. I have yet to see anyone do it live who I haven't caught at it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tanker

How about show itself or give undeniable OT miricle style proof.

I don't get the whole "you have to believe in me but I'm not going to give you any proof to beieve in me" thing. It's like when you know your girlfriend is angry and you ask what's wrong she says "If you don't know what the problem is I'm not going to tell you" it just seems so counter productive. God for some reason needs or wants our belief and worship but won't give a single reason for it's existance, that is one of the single dumbest premisis of Judeo-Christianity.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

rlrose328

Grow amputated limbs back... that's always been my favorites.  No floods, locusts, water/wine, or people/cities turned to dust/salt.  Those are old hat and unbelievable by anyone with a brain.

Or give Eddie Murphy a good script that doesn't involve children or flattulence.  

Either/or.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!