News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Your kids in a godless world

Started by Siz, September 10, 2011, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: magdalena on October 25, 2011, 05:53:06 AM
Every year I forget that once a year on a given Friday I shouldn't eat meat. At work, I keep telling people they got "a little something" on their forehead, and they say, "It's ash Wednesday."  :o
My son thinks the sign of the cross is people pointing at the "holes" they have in their body... seriously, he thinks they point at their mouth, belly button and nipples. He even said, "Now I know why they do that, I could never figure out why people did that, I thought they were just doing the letter T!" The other day, we left him with his aunt and when we picked him up he said, "Good thing you guys came for me, they were about to take me to church!"
All this is because I have never talked to him about god, religion, spirits, virgins, angels, afterlife, etc. He has asked, but I always ask him what He thinks about it. I don't want to influence him either way, but he does want to know what I think.
The other day my husband told him he should thank god for the food, and he said, "I don't think there is a god." My husband looked at me and said, "What have you told him?" I told the truth, I said, "Nothing." He told out son that he believed there was a god. Our son said, "O.K, maybe there is one."

Excellent. Just a doubt is all an intelligent little human needs to draw a correct conclusion in his own good time and given an even playing field. But Daddy needs to be equally as respectful and accommodating of your beliefs as you are to his.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: magdalena on October 25, 2011, 05:53:06 AM
Every year I forget that once a year on a given Friday I shouldn't eat meat. At work, I keep telling people they got "a little something" on their forehead, and they say, "It's ash Wednesday."  :o
My son thinks the sign of the cross is people pointing at the "holes" they have in their body... seriously, he thinks they point at their mouth, belly button and nipples. He even said, "Now I know why they do that, I could never figure out why people did that, I thought they were just doing the letter T!" The other day, we left him with his aunt and when we picked him up he said, "Good thing you guys came for me, they were about to take me to church!"
All this is because I have never talked to him about god, religion, spirits, virgins, angels, afterlife, etc. He has asked, but I always ask him what He thinks about it. I don't want to influence him either way, but he does want to know what I think.
The other day my husband told him he should thank god for the food, and he said, "I don't think there is a god." My husband looked at me and said, "What have you told him?" I told the truth, I said, "Nothing." He told out son that he believed there was a god. Our son said, "O.K, maybe there is one."
You are doing a cracking job Mrs! But I do suggest that at some appropriate moment you do discuss virgins with him as they, unlike the rest of the list, could get him into trouble  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Quote from: Stevil on September 10, 2011, 09:28:45 PM
I would not be happy if my children wereto be sent to a religious based school. I see it as brainwashing. My kids ought to be exposed to a variety of ideas, they ought to be able to consiously choose.

Christenning/Baptism can happen later in life. It does not need to be forced onto a child or infant. Let them decide later in life. There is no hurry.

If they are being taught Christian views then I think the same amount of effort should be put into teaching them Atheist, Muslim, Buddism, Greek, Norse, Jewish, Maori, Aborigoni etc. Send them to a Muslim summer camp, or a Hindi Camp. Let them see other beliefs, let them make informed decisions as to their beliefs.
Read them the God Delusion book.

At the moment they seem to be getting taught only Christian. Children are such trusting, impressionable things. You are brainwashing them and taking choice away from them.
I completely agree with the idea of teaching them every philosophy and religion. I'm Christian and I went to public school for the majority of my life. I've had experience with 3 religious schools all my life, once in pre-k then two different ones in my freshman year of high school. Believe me when I say that you really need to get them out of there. It's a horrible environment for children, and that's coming from a Christian. They may seem happy now, but after  enough years of you never giving your true input on Christianity and them being constantly brainwashed by the school and undoubtedly the other kids at the school, they're either going to be stick like that forever, and inevitably end up raising their kids like that, or they're going to be the most miserable children on the face of the planet. I remember after my first month of Christian school in high school, I was seriously debating on faking Atheism just to get out of it. Wish you the best of luck with your situation.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.