News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

That wound in my mouth is still being a pain in the ass! Er, hang on, I mean . . .

Been four days now and still hurts to swallow and still a little blood, will seek an appointment for it if it's not improved my tomorrow. But a bit difficult to put a plaster or bandage in there . . .

No obvious swelling, no fever, not gastric upsets do I assume no infection. Age, being on anti-coagulants and aspirin and possibly a bit light on vitamin K does not help. Really cold "Indian" tonic water, with quinone, held in the mouth until it warms, seems to help.

Things like curry and oranges are no extra problem to eat but tomatoes are like a strong acid! Yikes!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on February 17, 2018, 06:49:14 AM
QuoteQ: Why is it that so many dentists are disproportionately and outspokenly religious?  Does that have anything to do with the statistics about suicide that puts dentists up toward the top of the list?   

Not something that I have noticed iver here, Icarus. But I could ask why so many dentists here are Asian, Chinese, Australian, Polish . . .  The answer to that obviously has very fifferent origins!

But, an interesting thought, the correlation between religiosity, dentistry and suicide. Could be a doctoral thesis in there.

Makes no difference where they're from; tried 3 dentists since our NHS one retired and it seems the moment you step over the threshold it's '£800 for this' or '£1100' for that' even though they advertise for new NHS patients. I haven't seen a dentist for a couple of years now as the other thing they did was to remove two teeth that were not causing any problems because there were abscesses under them!!!!????
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 18, 2018, 10:48:32 AM
QuoteQ: Why is it that so many dentists are disproportionately and outspokenly religious?  Does that have anything to do with the statistics about suicide that puts dentists up toward the top of the list?   

Not something that I have noticed iver here, Icarus. But I could ask why so many dentists here are Asian, Chinese, Australian, Polish . . .  The answer to that obviously has very fifferent origins!

But, an interesting thought, the correlation between religiosity, dentistry and suicide. Could be a doctoral thesis in there.

Makes no difference where they're from; tried 3 dentists since our NHS one retired and it seems the moment you step over the threshold it's '£800 for this' or '£1100' for that' even though they advertise for new NHS patients. I haven't seen a dentist for a couple of years now as the other thing they did was to remove two teeth that were not causing any problems because there were abscesses under them!!!!????

Then I am lucky, the NHS cover and price schedule is up in the wall. The only time I balked was when one particular dentist insisted that I needed a whole course of treatment beyond thatboffered by the NHS. I had needed only routine stuff before that and since insisting thst I wanted another member of the team.

jumbojak

My first attempt at making easy mozzarella turned out like this.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on February 22, 2018, 02:08:13 AM

I'm curious...Is this good or bad?

Oh...wait. I just realized this is the grumpy thread. Sorry.  :-[

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 22, 2018, 02:08:13 AM

At least you got some cauliflower out of it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

^
Looks a bit like my attempt at "cottage cheese" many years ago.

What does it taste like, JJ? That is the important thing, before colour then texture. Cottage cheese is too bland for my jaded palate these days.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on February 18, 2018, 12:01:49 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on February 18, 2018, 10:48:32 AM

Then I am lucky, the NHS cover and price schedule is up in the wall. The only time I balked was when one particular dentist insisted that I needed a whole course of treatment beyond thatboffered by the NHS. I had needed only routine stuff before that and since insisting thst I wanted another member of the team.
Lucky indeed😁

Dave

Well, I had my appointment, £20-50. I was on the chair for less than 5 minutes as the dentist said, "Zero, zero, zero, . . . no plaque, you look after your teeth very well."

Still, a year now to the next one instead of six months.

Then they offered me an sppointment with Blake - which I turned down. After three years of just routine checks and the odd scrape Blake recommrnded a course of four treatment sessions. I declined and saw another dentist 6 months later and had just another quick scrape at no extra charge. So I may be seeing Georgia next year, if she has not moved on by then.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on February 22, 2018, 08:37:04 AM
^
Looks a bit like my attempt at "cottage cheese" many years ago.

What does it taste like, JJ? That is the important thing, before colour then texture. Cottage cheese is too bland for my jaded palate these days.

I wasn't brave enough to try. It wouldn't even take salt so that failed experiment went in the trash. I suspect that I didn't add enough rennet.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Page four, at the bottom of my newspaper:  A teeny tiny small 2 column inch bit of news.  My state house of representatives ( shit eating dogs that they are...at least in this case) have sneaked a bill through the house with a vote of 97 to 10.  The bill specifies that a sign must be "prominently" displayed in every school and every school administrative office in the state.  The sign must say "In God we trust".

Those dumb bastards know very well that such a bill will be attacked by the ACLU and other agencies who are actually familiar with our constitutional amendments .  I am really annoyed to learn that my legislators are so narrow minded and unaware of the rules of common sense.  I want them to take care of the states business that actually matters. 

:lynch:

Tom62

In July my wife and I are going to move to a small city, closer to my wife's work place (but further away from mine  :() So we thought it might be a good idea to clean up the attic today. We've got hundreds of books stored there, which we no longer intend to keep (mainly business- and project management books). I'm now checking on-line, how much they are still worth. Guess what, on average 30 cts per book. I think it is much more efficient to take all these books and dump them in the old paper container than trying to sell them.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on February 25, 2018, 09:15:18 AM
In July my wife and I are going to move to a small city, closer to my wife's work place (but further away from mine  :() So we thought it might be a good idea to clean up the attic today. We've got hundreds of books stored there, which we no longer intend to keep (mainly business- and project management books). I'm now checking on-line, how much they are still worth. Guess what, on average 30 cts per book. I think it is much more efficient to take all these books and dump them in the old paper container than trying to sell them.

That's the trouble with those sort of books the world moves on.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2018, 10:17:16 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on February 25, 2018, 09:15:18 AM

That's the trouble with those sort of books the world moves on.

I agree. Most of these books are 19 years old.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on February 22, 2018, 10:58:01 PM
Page four, at the bottom of my newspaper:  A teeny tiny small 2 column inch bit of news.  My state house of representatives ( shit eating dogs that they are...at least in this case) have sneaked a bill through the house with a vote of 97 to 10.  The bill specifies that a sign must be "prominently" displayed in every school and every school administrative office in the state.  The sign must say "In God we trust".

Those dumb bastards know very well that such a bill will be attacked by the ACLU and other agencies who are actually familiar with our constitutional amendments .  I am really annoyed to learn that my legislators are so narrow minded and unaware of the rules of common sense.  I want them to take care of the states business that actually matters. 

:lynch:

This sort of news seems inexplicable and almost unbelievable to us in the UK. These people seem to live in a weird bubble.