News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

We made using this site part of our decision process for each house. See if it works for your area or if there is something similar.

http://communitycrimemap.com/
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

Interesting. It shows the city I am looking at only has one crime so that's good to know.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

I miss living in a place like that. Crime is really the only thing I don't like about living in a big city. Well that and all the people. Too many people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on April 27, 2018, 04:49:23 PM
I miss living in a place like that. Crime is really the only thing I don't like about living in a big city. Well that and all the people. Too many people.

And all their kids, all their cars . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Quote from: Dave on April 27, 2018, 04:58:33 PM

I don't mind most kids. But I'm very excited for driverless cars, that technology can't come soon enough. Traffic would be so much better because a lot of it is due to shitty decisions made by people. And I'd take planes less if I could sit back and do other things while the car is making it's way.

Buddy

Quote from: Dave on April 27, 2018, 04:58:33 PM

Yeah that's one thing I hate about my apartment. There are so many kids and they run wild. My boyfriend had the side mirror on his car broken by one of them last year and we couldn't do a damn thing because we had no proof.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on April 27, 2018, 06:07:14 PM
I don't mind most kids. But I'm very excited for driverless cars, that technology can't come soon enough. Traffic would be so much better because a lot of it is due to shitty decisions made by people. And I'd take planes less if I could sit back and do other things while the car is making it's way.

A voice has just told me, all those recent mass murders via vehicle were made be by the driverless vehicle Thingoids.
I don't know if you're in the pay of the Thingoids Davin, or if you're just following a logical trail they set specifically for you, based on everything you've ever done that Google saw you do.
I'm not sure if I'll go public on this though, humans controlling cars, it should be relegated to the past, greater good, greater good greater good greater good greater good
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Arturo

Driverless cars can be said to have to potential to speed up traffic by a lot due to greater coordination capabilities. Cars can communicate with cars to tell them what it's going to do instead of the guessing game that people play and restrictions due to blind spots and possibly tired or intoxicated drivers.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

^ At the simplest level it reminds me of birds in a flock. It seems there are simple rules that make flying in an apparently chaotic group possible.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 28, 2018, 03:35:25 PM
^ At the simplest level it reminds me of birds in a flock. It seems there are simple rules that make flying in an apparently chaotic group possible.

Except birds don't get drunk or fly while eating a hamburger with one hand and talk on the phone with the other. Their focus is mainly on the coordination of the group.

If you have ducks it's even more simple because they migrate twice a year in small groups.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Geese flying in V formation always move me.

Cooperation and sharing on the wing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on April 28, 2018, 06:01:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 28, 2018, 03:35:25 PM

Except birds don't get drunk or fly while eating a hamburger with one hand and talk on the phone with the other. Their focus is mainly on the coordination of the group.

If you have ducks it's even more simple because they migrate twice a year in small groups.

Obviously, but what I meant is that they probably don't even pay attention to the whole group, just the few birds around each one. Simple rules beget more complex behaviour.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Driverless cars have a long way to go still. In Arizona a woman got hit because the car didn't see her. She was jay-walking at night on a dark part of the road, but I think that the car should still have stopped for her anyway. Watching the video, I don't think that a human driver would have done better than the AI, but I think that the AI should have done better than it did.

Even if you take away the jaywalking at night on a dark portion of the road, like what if it was a fallen rock or something that fell off the back of a another vehicle or a stopped car? Unless I can trust that the cars won't hit any object, whether the object is obeying the laws or not, the cars should still be considered in testing and development.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on April 30, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
Driverless cars have a long way to go still. In Arizona a woman got hit because the car didn't see her. She was jay-walking at night on a dark part of the road, but I think that the car should still have stopped for her anyway. Watching the video, I don't think that a human driver would have done better than the AI, but I think that the AI should have done better than it did.

Even if you take away the jaywalking at night on a dark portion of the road, like what if it was a fallen rock or something that fell off the back of a another vehicle or a stopped car? Unless I can trust that the cars won't hit any object, whether the object is obeying the laws or not, the cars should still be considered in testing and development.

Be interesting to know just what sensor systems, in detail, these cars have. I woukd have thought sensors would stand a better chance of spotting a black clad hunan on a dark night the the Mk 1 eyeball. Is the video avaikable?

My one near miss with a pedestrian was when a wonan, walking in tge same direction as I was driving, side stepped into the road to get round a bunch of people on a crowded pavement. She was only in the road for three or four steps. I was approaching a controlled junction with other traffic on my right (remember we drive on the left) so was, thankfully, not going fast. I hit the brakes about two ibched from her - she never even noticed and hitting the horn was a waste ot time. Had I been 5mph faster . . .

In such circumstances I was probably aware of the possibility such an eventuality subconsciously, I try to consciously "read the road" anyway. Is there any chance that an AI could do anything like that? My bet is that "predictive prevention" allowing for all driving conditions for car AI systems is a long way off.