News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

It's not raining, and it's not particularly cold, but the wind has been blowing like crazy for hours.  I won't be surprised to see palm trees knocked over tomorrow.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

It reached 35 C today. A true sunny Sunday.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

We are getting hit with a snowstorm today, then by Wednesday it is supposed to go down to -45F. I should move somewhere warm.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 28, 2019, 02:34:19 PM
We are getting hit with a snowstorm today, then by Wednesday it is supposed to go down to -45F. I should move somewhere warm.

:fuck:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 05:40:57 PM
Quote from: Buddy on January 28, 2019, 02:34:19 PM

:fuck:

Yeah. The antifreeze in my car is only rated to -30 so if it won't start, then I told my boss I'm not coming into work
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

That's cold. Just be glad you don't drive a diesel.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

My friend in Lithuania drives a three cylinder Kia diesel that is surviving nicely in near zero temps that are the norm for such God forsaken places. ....OK JJ the Kia has glow plugs.

We are presently having a polar circulation that has found its' way into the US.  That happens infrequently but it is busting our chops this season.  Places in the Dakotas are seeing temps in the way below minus zero regions.  Who the hell would live in such places?      The Dakotans and Minnesotans seem to take it in stride.

jumbojak

I talked to a fellow from West Virginia about cold starts on diesels once. He said, "It's easy. We just light a big ol' fire underneath em."

I thought he was kidding until I looked at some equipment that was coming up for auction from West Virginia. The frame under the oil pan of damn near every tractor had thick black soot from having fires lit underneath. It's quite ingenious really.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Building a fire under the crankcase is one way to do it but a much neater (and safer) way is to use electric block heaters.   I do believe that they have electricity in WV.

I am amused that my Lithuanian friend has discovered that he can use a cardboard panel to obstruct part of his radiator when the  weather is bitchin' cold.   He thought that it was  only a scheme that the Lithuanians had devised out of desperation.  Ha! I have even done that with my motorcycle.

Meanwhile the weather in Vilnius is at or near 30 degrees while the temps in Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis are sub zero and worse. A lot worse. 

jumbojak

I'd like to have one of the coolant transfer pumps handy. You use a running truck to exchange cold coolant from a piece of equipment to warm it up. Block heaters are nice, if electricity is readily accessible. You gotta drive the truck to whatever you're working on though.

Anne D.

Quote from: Icarus on January 29, 2019, 11:50:50 PM
. . .

Meanwhile the weather in Vilnius is at or near 30 degrees while the temps in Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis are sub zero and worse. A lot worse.

You know it's cold in Minneapolis when we actually close schools and workplaces (like we're doing tomorrow). We Minneapolitans never close stuff because of the cold. Almost makes me miss Texas winters.

Buddy

I'm off work tomorrow because all the banks in our region are closed. It's bitter cold outside but I've been keeping warm with a cat on my lap all night

Anne D.

Quote from: Buddy on January 30, 2019, 02:41:35 AM
I'm off work tomorrow because all the banks in our region are closed. It's bitter cold outside but I've been keeping warm with a cat on my lap all night

The company of a lap cat sounds lovely :)  Mine is upstairs where the heat registers work better!

Bluenose

Today was 37°C (≈99°F), but this evening it's started to rain and the temperature has already dropped to around 23°, tomorrow should ba a much more temperate max of 20°
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Like in Bluenose's corner, we had highs of around 38 degrees, some rain and today temps are way more tolerable. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey