News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

James DeWitt (pastor who became an atheist)

Started by jumbojak, July 31, 2012, 04:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I watched this last night and thought it was an interesting perspective on how a person can move away from religious fundamentalism. It's an excellent presentation and I think good advertising for The Clergy Project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYLKh3cdCI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: Merged a few threads so modified the title to reflect the subject matter. - Tank

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Crow

Ooo thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it yet but I was interested in what would become of the clergy project.
Retired member.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Crow on July 31, 2012, 10:02:46 PM
Ooo thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it yet but I was interested in what would become of the clergy project.

If they keep producing atheistic evangelists ( avangelists? )
like Jim the clergy project has a bright future. I just wish I could give the poor guy a job. It's a shame his outreach efforts have cost him his livelihood.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Skeptik

Awesome!

I grew up in the same Pentecostal denomination that he did.  It's crazy.
This guy is a breath of fresh air.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science