News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Things we might like to add on HAF.

Started by Guardian85, October 11, 2015, 08:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

We do, of course, accept suggestions for smiley packs, but do keep in mind that in order to be unobtrusive, they cannot exceed a certain size. I'd say the default smilies on this board are about right in that regard. We may add a few larger smileys, like the popcorn one, but the middle finger smiley is many thousand square pixels too large.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Asmodean Prime on October 14, 2015, 08:14:34 AM
We do, of course, accept suggestions for smiley packs, but do keep in mind that in order to be unobtrusive, they cannot exceed a certain size. I'd say the default smilies on this board are about right in that regard. We may add a few larger smileys, like the popcorn one, but the middle finger smiley is many thousand square pixels too large.

I only used teh larger, many pixel sized middle finger smiley for emphasis. A normal pixel size one would be good, I would also think a smiley giving the finger with both hands would be quite the necessity here as well, along with one mooning (Pulling it's pants down and showing its arse).

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

I think I have mentioned this here before, but what about adding code that would allow us to hide text or images? I think this would be a useful tool when you are quoting large or multiple posts (Or pasting large bodies of text), as well as for hiding images that might be NSF or for hiding gifs which are difficult for some smaller devices, phones, pads, etc...to download.

I think this would clean up the threads quite a bit as well...and you could make it more or less mandatory (Except maybe in certain threads) that all images or gifs be hidden texted, with a brief description of what is hidden underneath.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Thirded. In fact, I've taken steps to implement it, but am waiting for an OK from Asmodean Prime. I'm just a regular admin, and certainly don't want to get on the bad side of our Grey Tech Admin.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean Prime

"Spoiler" bb-tag and functionality only affects parts of the engine. Relatively few lines of code, can be upgraded around and/or over. This will be implemented.

Tank

Adding text to the opening tag like this ="NSFW" appears as the spoiler title.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

I think I dropped my psychedelic spoon somewhere, has anyone seen it?  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on October 16, 2015, 05:59:15 AM
I think I dropped my psychedelic spoon somewhere, has anyone seen it?  :-\

The internet archive is a wonderful thing.

I suggest you save a version on your computer, just in case.

Eric V Arachnid probably could have helped you, if you asked him nicely.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I did save a version of it on my computer, just in case, but I lost it there as well. (This is before I learned about Google Drive, now I find everything, from anywhere.)  ;)

I thought about asking Eric V Arachnid, nicely, but I haven't seen him around much lately, so I didn't know if I should bother him with it.:(  As you can see, I don't have a problem bothering
you--Recusant, Tank and/or The Asmo--with anything at any time. You guys are always here.

Again, thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

Crow

I'm surprised that Asmo is trying to propagate the forum with the old content which is a faff when we could have just done a do-over as the backup seems to be outdated.
Retired member.

Asmodean Prime

The age of the last backup is not the problem. In fact, the image of the DB from the day HAF went down "exists".

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on October 16, 2015, 01:50:23 PM
I'm surprised that Asmo is trying to propagate the forum with the old content which is a faff when we could have just done a do-over as the backup seems to be outdated.

Crow! You're back!
I've missed you, my grumpy, but not lumpy, friend.  :)

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on October 16, 2015, 06:39:23 PM
Crow! You're back!
I've missed you, my grumpy, but not lumpy, friend.  :)

Alright Mags!

I come across as grumpy, darn it. I'm rarely grumpy to be honest even less so recently.
Retired member.