News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Greetings from the South

Started by BullyforBronto, August 27, 2011, 12:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BullyforBronto

Greetings, all,

I sort of stumbled upon this site, and, after browsing around a bit, I've found you to have a great discourse community here. With the emergence and seemingly exponential growth of fundamentalist Christian belief systems and socially conservative political ideologies in the U.S. over the past 10 or more years, I've noticed, if only anecdotally, a parallel trend in growing hostility toward not only atheism, but also the sciences and liberal arts. It has become next to impossible to witness any sort of debate that excludes a bombardment of talking points that inevitably results in a yelling match. Conversely, it appears to be somewhat calm here. I especially enjoyed the debate between Will and Braxhunt. The debate was cordial and undistracted, a rarity these days.

I'm interested in the history and philosophy of science, especially as it relates to modern biological thought. So, I'm looking forward to reading more from the Science, Philosophy and even the Creationism board sections.

Cheers!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

McQ

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to jump into the fray!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

The Magic Pudding

Greetings from South of the South.

Tank

Hi BfB

Glad you found your way here and joined in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Medusa

She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

BullyforBronto

Thanks for the kind welcome notes!

I'm looking forward to joining the discussion.

Sweetdeath

Welcome!  We need more people to stick around for discussions, so I hope you do. ^___^
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Greetings from like... Outer space. Is where Asmodeans live.  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.