News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

OUR DAUGHTER ISN'T A SELFISH BRAT; YOUR SON JUST HASN'T...

Started by Sophus, August 13, 2010, 11:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Sometimes I'm not the best when it comes to picking up on sarcasm. But this is a satire, right? .... right? I hope so. OUR DAUGHTER ISN'T A SELFISH BRAT; YOUR SON JUST HASN'T READ ATLAS SHRUGGED

QuoteWhen little Aiden toddled up our daughter Johanna and asked to play with her Elmo ball, he was, admittedly, very sweet and polite. I think his exact words were, "Have a ball, peas [sic]?" And I'm sure you were very proud of him for using his manners.

To be sure, I was equally proud when Johanna yelled, "No! Looter!" right in his looter face, and then only marginally less proud when she sort of shoved him.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pinkocommie

I...think....so?  If not, this is a great example of indoctrination that isn't religious in nature.  :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

pckizer

Quote from: "Sophus"Sometimes I'm not the best when it comes to picking up on sarcasm. But this is a satire, right? .... right? I hope so.

Oh, definitely satire.  Some of the other stories can be extremely amusing if you check out the previous posts.  The length of the average item means you'll need some time when you check out the archives, though.

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

i_am_i

I think it's a brilliant satire on Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy as dramatised in "Atlas Shrugged," one of the stupidest novels ever written.
Call me J

Sapere aude

deekayfry

Quote from: "i_am_i"I think it's a brilliant satire on Ayn Rand's Objectivist philosophy as dramatised in "Atlas Shrugged," one of the stupidest novels ever written.

Ditto that.
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

The Magic Pudding

I don't know this Ayn Rand person, sounds like Angelica Pickles to me.

Will

My favorite quote about Ayn Rand: "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." I can't remember where it's from, but it always makes me laugh.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sophus

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I don't know this Ayn Rand person, sounds like Angelica Pickles to me.
&
Quote from: "Will"My favorite quote about Ayn Rand: "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
roflol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

ElizabethPeart

Sad thing is that when I was about 14 or so, I was a hardcore Objectivist and follower of Ayn Rand. Oh dear...
[size=150]A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right.[/size]
                                                                                                                                                           [size=150] -Thomas Paine[/size]

The Magic Pudding

I saw a discussion of Atlas Shrugged, it was amusing, the members of the group weren't happy they had to read it.
I don't think I'll be reading it any time soon.
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/firsttue ... _04_09.wmv

karadan

Quote from: "Will"My favorite quote about Ayn Rand: "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." I can't remember where it's from, but it always makes me laugh.

That was very funny.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.