News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hitchens is God

Started by SatanicBurrito, October 04, 2011, 06:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatanicBurrito

Long time, albiet a "new blood" atheist (breaking ground for raising family atheist has been interesting to say the least.)

Just discovered Christopher Hitchens.  Immersed myself in some of his YouTube videos.

Holy crap, this guy is a badass motherfucker! 

I think he used to get drunk during debates just to give his opponent a sporting chance.  And he still destroy eveyone.  Drunk Chris Hitchens is smarter, nimbler, and more convincing than any sober religious apologist.  Unbelievable knowledge, passion, wit, and perspective.  And he's right.  Like about everything.  He's right.

Great stuff.  Sad to know he's sick.  But a great mind.  Got so jazzed after hearing him, just wanted to share.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

I'm also a fan of his witty retorts and utter annihilation of theistic arguments ;D

I think he would get drunk because he reached a point where he just couldn't bear to take such stupidity on a regular basis sober....going up against the likes of Dinesh D'Souza and William Lane Craig...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Welcome!

Like your screen name... Makes me hungry for some proper jalapeños  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi SB

Look up Peter Hitchens, Chris's brother, and you'll see where he developed his style.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Hi SatanicBurrito

Yeah I also enjoy watching Christopher Hitchens, probably the only the only atheist debater I can watch without getting annoyed at their smugness, except for Steven Fry when he tackles religion, or that older fellow who looks a bit like a wizard (can't remember his name).

Quote from: Tank on October 04, 2011, 08:33:30 AM
Look up Peter Hitchens, Chris's brother, and you'll see where he developed his style.

I cant believe that they are related, I saw him on a debate about the UK riots, the man made the conservative party look like trendsetting forward thinkers in comparison, which I had previously thought would have been an impossible feet to achieve. He also brought lack of religious upbringing into the debate for the reasons of them.
Retired member.

SatanicBurrito

Quote from: Asmodean on October 04, 2011, 08:02:59 AM
Lol I love me a spicy burrito.  Actually it's a reference to a really dumb magic trick where I make the face of Satan mysteriously appear on a burrito (involves a microwave, pentagram, and tarragon. No, I'm serious.)  For the record, not everybody thinks Satan appearing on a burrito is hilarious and clever, even if you tell them it's just a trick.  Lost a (apparently very religious) girlfriend over the silly trick who decided it was more likely I was in league with the devil.    :P   

Tank

Quote from: SatanicBurrito on October 04, 2011, 04:25:53 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on October 04, 2011, 08:02:59 AM
Lol I love me a spicy burrito.  Actually it's a reference to a really dumb magic trick where I make the face of Satan mysteriously appear on a burrito (involves a microwave, pentagram, and tarragon. No, I'm serious.)  For the record, not everybody thinks Satan appearing on a burrito is hilarious and clever, even if you tell them it's just a trick.  Lost a (apparently very religious) girlfriend over the silly trick who decided it was more likely I was in league with the devil.    :P   
Losing the girlfriend was probably for the best she may have tempted you to the light side!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I find it interesting that he defends Christianity, it's like the opposite version of Christopher.

After listening to some of his associations between immorality and the riots that happened in England, I'm beginning to think that he may be right, in a superficial sort of way. Some people are just not grown up enough to live without some theistic personal-god-is-watching-and-will judge-you morality.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 04, 2011, 06:21:09 PM

I find it interesting that he defends Christianity, it's like the opposite version of Christopher.

After listening to some of his associations between immorality and the riots that happened in England, I'm beginning to think that he may be right, in a superficial sort of way. Some people are just not grown up enough to live without some theistic personal-god-is-watching-and-will judge-you morality.

I think he mistakes that a strong positive parenting foundation in the upbringing of a child is a prerequisite of religion, so in his mind religion is the foundation that can right the wrongs however riots still take place throughout the world and throughout history, it wont stop the mob mentality when it kicks in. In the areas where the riots took place there is a strong Christian and Islamic presence, the problem is that those religions as well as the parents, schools, and local services are out of touch with the youth and do not know how to talk to them in a manner that they will listen to, with those that do speak on the same level are the types of people you would least like to have such an influence.
Retired member.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on October 04, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
In the areas where the riots took place there is a strong Christian and Islamic presence, the problem is that those religions as well as the parents, schools, and local services are out of touch with the youth and do not know how to talk to them in a manner that they will listen to, with those that do speak on the same level are the types of people you would least like to have such an influence.

Sadly, these youth are not of a mind to listen to any kind of reason - no matter what pseudo-Jamaican accent one uses. I don't believe religion has any bearing on this issue. Indeed, these kids have NO social structure to help them. Undereducated, mindless, malcontents. Schooled by under-resourced teachers, coddled by a welfare state and raised without the personal resources to think themselves into a job. It is the entire community structure breaking down, starting with undereducated parents. There's little hope for these people and they know it.

Anyway, back to topic...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on October 04, 2011, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: Crow on October 04, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
In the areas where the riots took place there is a strong Christian and Islamic presence, the problem is that those religions as well as the parents, schools, and local services are out of touch with the youth and do not know how to talk to them in a manner that they will listen to, with those that do speak on the same level are the types of people you would least like to have such an influence.

Sadly, these youth are not of a mind to listen to any kind of reason - no matter what pseudo-Jamaican accent one uses. I don't believe religion has any bearing on this issue. Indeed, these kids have NO social structure to help them. Undereducated, mindless, malcontents. Schooled by under-resourced teachers, coddled by a welfare state and raised without the personal resources to think themselves into a job. It is the entire community structure breaking down, starting with undereducated parents. There's little hope for these people and they know it.

Anyway, back to topic...

Spot on.
Retired member.

Denty420

As a fairly new atheist myself, I've also been watching Chris on YouTube. I'd heard of him before but had never actually seen him in action, so to speak. There are a series of videos on YouTube called Hitchslap in which Chris gives intelligent, coherent answers to stupid and pointless questions in alternative states of drunkenness and sobriety.

I've also downloaded God Is Not Great to my iPhone. I've just started reading The God Delusion by Dawkins, and I just HAVE to finish off the Dark Tower books by Stephen King before I dive into Chris's book.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, SatanicBurrito, from another green, wet-behind-the-ears newbie. I've never tried a burrito because they don't tend to sell them in Blighty, but you never know, on my next trip stateside... :)
It does not matter if you are a person of faith or an atheist. Life shits on everybody from the same height.

SatanicBurrito

Howdy Denty and great comments all.

I watched the Hitchens vs Hitchens debate which I thought was pretty interesting.

My read on Pete Hitchens is that his position seems to be religion is needed because it keeps the world civilized.  I'm not convinced he completely and honestly believes, when he's at home alone, in the dark, I think he's chuckling along with Chris...

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, SatanicBurrito.

From reading some of the writings in Peter Hitchens' blog, such as "A Hunk of Red Meat," I have a little doubt that he is as sincere in his Christianity as Christopher Hitchens is in his atheism.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken