News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
Normal for me is wishing that the truck coming the other way would cross over into my lane. And that's just a casual thought. This week through to taday have been almost completely empty.

Been there, felt like driving, very fast, straight at a very thick brick wall on the way to work. I was in the RAF so that was about 45 years ago, but each time it happened I looked for any reason, no matter how small, outside of myself, a task, a person (I had no dependent animals) to aim for. There is always something.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

If you don't mind my asking, JJ, has this week been more stressful than previous ones? Also, are these casual thoughts more OCD-like or more rooted in depression? I don't mean to pry, of course you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Thoughts like that shouldn't have to be anyone's 'normal', either way.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

It has been more stressful. If I had to describe the thoughts it'd be like a mix between the two.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2018, 10:10:17 PM
It has been more stressful. If I had to describe the thoughts it'd be like a mix between the two.

Burnout? :notsure:

I think I know what you're going through. I went through the same years ago, until I decided that I didn't have to feel that way, that depression is a disease and not a sense of weakness or lack of willpower, and sought professional help. After a few trials with a few different medications things got a lot better. Prozac (Fluoxetine) made me feel a whole lot worse, Effexor (Venlafaxine) worked wonders. The latter didn't have the same effect for my brother, though, who suffers from prolonged depression. It's a hit and miss scenario, and depends on each person. 

I don't know how you feel about medication, but I strongly feel that nobody should have to live their lives depressed. Feeling sadness here and there is normal, but when you can't seem to pull yourself out of it for days, weeks, months or years on end then there's something wrong. 

Sorry about that, I am feeling a little emotional these days.

jumbojak

You know, I considered going to a doctor today. The problem is that I don't have a regular doctor so it'd have to be the Medexpress place down the street from work and from what I've read they don't handle this sort of thing. Close proximity to a mental hospital has me worried they might do something drastic. I don't know what to do.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on April 23, 2018, 10:33:48 PM
... Close proximity to a mental hospital has me worried they might do something drastic. I don't know what to do.
Drastic?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Quote from: Magdalena on April 23, 2018, 11:01:47 PM
... Close proximity to a mental hospital has me worried they might do something drastic. I don't know what to do.
Drastic?

Drastic like calling the cops to haul me to the hospital.

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on April 24, 2018, 12:48:00 AM
Drastic?

Being taken to a hospital by the cops against your will doesn't sound that great.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

:notsure: Are there no other options? Outpatient psychiatric clinics you could go to? 

I don't know much about involuntary hospitalisation in the US, but I imagine if they think you're a danger to yourself it could be a real possibility. 

If you're not a real danger to yourself, then...Hypothetically, if it were me in your situation I would seek out a professional help, but avoid speaking of suicidal feelings or thoughts right away, so that the doctor didn't think I was a danger to myself. I usually test the waters before trusting. They usually do ask if there's suicidal ideation.

Arturo

I'm bored...

My grandma went to the hospital the same day we had the "earthquake" in Michigan. She was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy and she's been given meds and a prescription to physical therapy. But with her track record of self-care lately, I don't see that happening. At least continuously anyways. She will try to fix it herself and then fail, or ask some idiot for help like my obese aunt with so many grand kids, I don't know who is who.

Anyways, I'm going to go back up to the read the recent parts of this thread. I saw something about psychiatric hospitalization and I've been to them plenty of times - so I may have something to contribute. brb...maybe
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on April 24, 2018, 12:48:00 AM
Drastic?

They likely wouldn't have the cops but an ambulance take you. If you really need to take a break then take a break. But don't let that build up and over come you. This shit is all about balance.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dragonia

So, JJ,  I'm speaking way out of my comfort zone here, but after two suicides at my son's middle school, there has been a lot more awareness of depression and suicidal thoughts around here. Part of that conversation was a meeting that we had the other night, facilitated by mental health professionals from a nearby facility. I was heartened to learn that they offer absolutely free mental health evaluations, 24 hours a day, 7 days week.
They emphasized that it's their goal to recommend what they see as the best course of action for each person, whether it is merely counseling, or admitting a person immediately. I trust that each member of this center truly has a person's best interests in mind and they wouldn't go to extremes unless they really saw the need.
I wonder if you might have someone close by like that. Even maybe far away would be a possibility?
I feel like it might be beneficial and comforting to talk to a professional, even for a half hour, and get their thoughts on what's going on inside your mind.
I really do wish you peace. I like you.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

jumbojak

I'm looking for someone Dragonia. Somewhat difficult to find though.

Today I'm actually feeling pretty good. Cutting myself earlier today showed me that my sharpening technique is just about perfect, I got two good tires on the finishing harrow, and now I'm tending the burn pile. The weather is nice now that the thunderstorms have cleared out, very few mosquitos are out and it isn't time for mayflies yet. Steelers Wheel is on the radio too. Oh, and the moon is almost full. Just watching the fire burn down.

Dragonia

^^^ it sounds lovely and productive.  :tellmemore:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

jumbojak

And of course, with new calves on the ground the goddamn coyotes come out. I might be out here all night if Nute doesn't show.