News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

HAF Photo Challenge: But is it Art?

Started by Recusant, February 22, 2019, 06:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

We have the theme for our next photo challenge, and it's an intriguing one: But is it Art?

As hermes2015's description tells us, "This could be any photo of an interesting landscape, texture, or object that could be taken as a work of 'art'." I think that covers it very well. For instance, somebody might consider a beautiful or interesting piece of machinery to be a work of art, and in fact perhaps the engineer who designed it may have allowed themself to express some aesthetic impulse despite the fact that it's entirely functional. But is it art? In addition, say that somebody takes a relatively mundane photo and tweaks it (perhaps drastically) with image manipulation software. Is that art?

Hermes2015 and I have given some idea of how broad this challenge can be, and I encourage members to use their imaginations in producing their entries. Perhaps there will be some good discussion generated by this theme as well as interesting photos.

Up to five images will be accepted from each member, and entries will be open for the next two to three weeks, depending on response. Of course I intend to give some warning before closing. Please send them to me preferably via PM, or via the email address in my profile: recusantathaf |at| gmail.com.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

I want to thank Recusant once again for offering to help me with the logistics of the Challenge; it's much appreciated.

Let's hope this theme is so open to varied interpretation, that it will inspire many entries. Another source of inspiration I just thought of would be the Surrealists like Dali and Magritte.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I have a few ideas percolating already...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2019, 04:19:24 AM

That's good to hear. It's a chance to be crazy and creative.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 23, 2019, 04:26:05 AM

Crazy you say? Yep, that's right in my wheelhouse.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2019, 04:36:49 AM

My psychic powers predict you're going to win this one. I tend to overthink things, so my entries will probably be quite weak this time.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 23, 2019, 06:06:18 AM

My psychic powers predict you're going to win this one. I tend to overthink things, so my entries will probably be quite weak this time.

Don't hold anything back. If you find yourself being the best in the room find a different room where you can be challenged, but never hold anything back.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2019, 06:45:57 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 23, 2019, 06:06:18 AM

Don't hold anything back. If you find yourself being the best in the room find a different room where you can be challenged, but never hold anything back.

:thumbsup:
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

An interesting theme!  :chin: Can't wait to see the entries for this one!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 23, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
An interesting theme!  :chin: Can't wait to see the entries for this one!

Please try to submit something as well.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Recusant

Bump as a reminder to submit something!  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

xSilverPhinx

So when do we get to vote?  :jumps:

:grin:

(When I'm not procrastinating I'm annoyingly impatient. I apologise.  :P)