News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The ‘Real You’ is a Myth

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 19, 2018, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteWe all want other people to "get us" and appreciate us for who we really are. In striving to achieve such relationships, we typically assume that there is a "real me". But how do we actually know who we are? It may seem simple – we are a product of our life experiences, which we can be easily accessed through our memories of the past.

Indeed, substantial research has shown that memories shape a person's identity. People with profound forms of amnesia typically also lose their identity – as beautifully described by the late writer and neurologist Oliver Sacks in his case study of 49-year-old Jimmy G, the "lost mariner", who struggles to find meaning as he cannot remember anything that's happened after his late adolescence.

But it turns out that identity is often not a truthful representation of who we are anyway – even if we have an intact memory. Research shows that we don't actually access and use all available memories when creating personal narratives. It is becoming increasingly clear that, at any given moment, we unawarely tend to choose and pick what to remember.

[...]

But what is selected as a personal memory also needs to fit the current idea that we have of ourselves. Let's suppose you have always been a very kind person, but after a very distressing experience you have developed a strong aggressive trait that now suits you. Not only has your behaviour changed, your personal narrative has too. If you are now asked to describe yourself, you might include past events previously omitted from your narrative – for example, instances in which you acted aggressively.

Continues: https://neurosciencenews.com/real-you-myth-9894/

So...who are you?  :sidesmile:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Asmodean

Have you read this Matrix™/simulated reality paper what was "all over" the Internet some short time ago? Fascinating stuff. Some of us may so totally be NPCs in a massively multiplayer RPG world. Me? I AM The Matrix™.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Who am I? I don't think I've ever met the guy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on September 20, 2018, 09:54:26 AM
Have you read this Matrix™/simulated reality paper what was "all over" the Internet some short time ago? Fascinating stuff. Some of us may so totally be NPCs in a massively multiplayer RPG world. Me? I AM The Matrix™.

I haven't had the chance to read that, no.

Would Luxembourg exist in the Matrix™? :P Is that like some sort of Boss that needs to be defeated? Maybe it's spelt all wrong, and should actually be Luxemborg.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey