A Piece of History -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, April 19, 2018, 08:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Admittedly this has been a somewhat leisurely photo challenge as far as timing goes, but there have been reasons, and in fact entries arrived in the final days. This, in addition to the very welcome contributions from folks other than the "usual suspects", has resulted in the widest field of entries yet. Consequently, members will get a larger number of votes to dispose of than usual. Thank you to all the people who contributed images for this edition.  :)

Please PM me ASAP if I've missed any entries, or otherwise made a mistake in setting this poll.

Members may vote for up to eight (!) entries and can change their votes. Voting will close in two weeks.  8)

1. Dave

2. hermes2015

3. Harmonie

4. Tank

5. Guardian85

6. Lark

7. xSilverPhinx

8. Bad Penny II

9. Papasito Bruno

10. Recusant

11. Dave

12. hermes2015

13. Tank

14. Guardian85

15. Lark

16. Bad Penny II

17. Papasito Bruno

18. Recusant

19. Dave

20. hermes2015

21. Tank

22. Guardian85

23. Lark

24. Bad Penny II

25. Papasito Bruno

26. Recusant

27. Dave

28. hermes2015

29. Tank

30. Guardian85

31. Lark

32. Bad Penny II

33. Papasito Bruno

34. Recusant

35. Dave

36. hermes2015

37. Tank

38. Guardian85

39. Lark

40. Bad Penny II

41. Papasito Bruno

42. Recusant
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Lark

What a splendid entry But what a lot of work for recusant to do it for me.  Thankyou very much, greatly appreciated as I could never have  managed to do the poll  myself.  :)

joeactor

Great job, all!

Really nice... and difficult to choose only 8!

xSilverPhinx

Whoa, 42 photos? This poll has certainly exceeded expectations! :smilenod:

Great contributions, I agree it was difficult narrowing it down to only 8 favourites!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

There are so many excellent photos, I wish we could choose 42.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Love the wide selection of photos this time,...very cool that we have 42 submissions. Some great photos to choose from as well, going to be hard to make my selections.
This was a great theme!

By the way 21 has to be Tank when he was a little boy,...and who knew they had photography so long ago. ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 21, 2018, 02:33:17 PM
Love the wide selection of photos this time,...very cool that we have 42 submissions. Some great photos to choose from as well, going to be hard to make my selections.
This was a great theme!

By the way 21 has to be Tank when he was a little boy,...and who knew they had photography so long ago. ;D

It must be a Daguerreotype.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

This was a great theme!

It is me. And technically it shouldn't be here as I didn't take it :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 21, 2018, 02:43:15 PM
This was a great theme!

At your age you'd know all about them :grin:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 21, 2018, 05:01:26 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 21, 2018, 02:43:15 PM
This was a great theme!

At your age you'd know all about them :grin:

Touché!
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Wow, such great pictures! I want to go to all of these places!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Recusant

Voting closes in less than 24 hours, for any who are interested but haven't managed to vote yet. :sidesmile:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Lark

Glad the subject was found interesting and such splendid photos submitted.  VERY hard to vote tough.  Thanks to all who took part.

Tank

It certainly attracted the highest turnout ever.

Recusant

:embarrassed: Eh, well, it appears that I've managed to win this one. #34 is the Torre de Belém (aka Tower of St Vincent or Belém Tower) in Lisbon. #10 is a pair of arches along the upper level of the Roman amphitheater in Arles. #18 is a lavoir in the style of the Second Empire at Maussane-les-Alpilles. I've become somewhat of an aficionado of French lavoirs, which vary widely in style from the rather grand, as this one is, to the very humble. #26 is a sadly neglected carriage (and therefore all the more picturesque, I thought) sitting in a field near the village of Tourtour in France. #42 is the Pont du Gard again, in the Occitanie region of southern France.

The selection of the entries for this photo challenge was particularly fine I thought, but maybe that's because I'm fascinated by history. It was great to see an entry from Harmonie--I hope that you'll contribute more! Also I really enjoyed the numismatic images from Bad Penny II, as well as the photos of Greek ruins from Guardian85 and hermes2015. The photo of the Sun Studio from Papasito Bruno is excellent, as are Dave's photos of the historic UK sites.

Thank you again to all who provided entries for this edition, and to everybody who voted.

The theme of the new challenge will be announced in its own thread.
— H. L. Mencken