News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Love the puzzle boxes.

Sorry about the boat :(

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 12, 2018, 08:39:44 PM

I used to collect that, "stuff" with a magnet, when I was little. Cool stuff to play with.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on April 14, 2018, 08:36:06 AM
Quote from: Davin on April 12, 2018, 08:39:44 PM

I used to collect that, "stuff" with a magnet, when I was little. Cool stuff to play with.
Yeah, that stuff is fun. I also want some of this hydrophobic sand:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Davin on April 16, 2018, 02:52:03 PM

This guy shoes how to make it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 16, 2018, 04:37:51 PM
Quote from: Davin on April 16, 2018, 02:52:03 PM

This guy shoes how to make it.

Cool.  8)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Today, a cornucopia of dragonflies by René Lalique. They are very desirable examples of Art Nouveau design.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Here's a boat for Rift Zone, it's a skeg boat though and I do like a rudder.
There's a certain Spartan cred though for those that eschew the rudder.
It's a good deal 2nd hand, so you can't loose much.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eleebana/kayaks-paddle/valley-aquanaut-rm-lv-sea-kayak-in-very-good-condition/1181373305
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Rift Zone

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2018, 05:12:25 AM
Today, a cornucopia of dragonflies by René Lalique. They are very desirable examples of Art Nouveau design.

^That one is pretty cool, i'd sport it.

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 17, 2018, 10:56:36 AM
Here's a boat for Rift Zone, it's a skeg boat though and I do like a rudder.
There's a certain Spartan cred though for those that eschew the rudder.
It's a good deal 2nd hand, so you can't loose much.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eleebana/kayaks-paddle/valley-aquanaut-rm-lv-sea-kayak-in-very-good-condition/1181373305

I already have a "rubber ducky"!   -My term of endearment for kayaks that can get you on the water, but don't exactly qualify as true gear.   Rudder elitists can tell me all about their superior nature as they eat my wake when the wind picks up.  ;)
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

jumbojak

Are the wings on those dragonflies stained glass?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Rift Zone on April 17, 2018, 01:04:55 PM

Lalique also made some belt buckles for men. These were popular gifts from guys to their boyfriends in the 1920s.

― Charles Eames

Rift Zone

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2018, 01:41:39 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on April 17, 2018, 01:04:55 PM

Lalique also made some belt buckles for men. These were popular gifts from guys to their boyfriends in the 1920s.

Those are cool too!    Nice.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 17, 2018, 01:35:55 PM

I'm pretty sure they are. Lalique was a master of glass techniques. He started off as a jeweller. When he needed some cameo style heads, he made them from glass using the cire perdue technique. He was then commissioned to make perfume bottles, and that gave him the idea to start making vases. So today when people hear the name Lalique, they usually think of his vases and plates.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Quote from: hermes2015 link=topic=15726.msg373531#msg373531

Those look medieval and maybe a little scary. Like maybe they have a nefarious dual purpose... :o
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dragonia on April 18, 2018, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 link=topic=15726.msg373531#msg373531

Those look medieval and maybe a little scary. Like maybe they have a nefarious dual purpose... :o

did you mean purposes?
If I was the cat on the left,
I'd bite but I wouldn't swallow.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2018, 02:32:18 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 17, 2018, 01:35:55 PM

I'm pretty sure they are. Lalique was a master of glass techniques. He started off as a jeweller. When he needed some cameo style heads, he made them from glass using the cire perdue technique. He was then commissioned to make perfume bottles, and that gave him the idea to start making vases. So today when people hear the name Lalique, they usually think of his vases and plates.

It seems I was wrong. The wings are actually plique-a-jour enamel, which does resemble stained glass.
― Charles Eames