Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Media / Re: Post YouTube videos that don't suck!
« Last post by joeactor on Today at 02:58:13 PM »
Here is one whose content we could make use of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDP2TSHZqyI

This is Sarah Silverman and a really cool guy that has a message worth sharing.

That was nice... I wish him luck on his quest.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Christmas 2018
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 02:17:11 PM »
I plan on spending Christmas alone, eating pizza half-naked in the couch in front of my Xbox, and the people all be like "Oh noes! That sounds terrible! Won't you come over to us and do Christmas stuff in stead?!" Look, thank you for the sentiment - it is sincerely appreciated, but what exactly do you think it is I'm trying to avoid by spending the holidays with muh video games? Doing the "Christmas stuff," that's what. It just does. Not. Interest. Me. Invite me to quarrel loudly over politics or watch a good (As opposed to some family-friendly Christmas- ) movie or some such, and I'm there. Holiday cheer and eating dinner at weird times and small children everywhere... I'd rather not.

This is probably not the first time I'm ranting about this here, as I have tried "just doing me" for the holidays before, with much similar reaction from the people around me. Yes, it's sad when someone who is lonely and does not have real options is all alone and depressed for Christmas. I am not that person. MY choice. I want a holiday with lots of silence, zero stress and a bit of junk food. GO AWAY, well-meaning family, friends, colleagues, sex partners and others who seem to think that they are the only ones I could have made plans with, had I wanted to. >:(

Ok, that's probably a little un-fair on those trying to be good without taking different priorities into consideration, but... It's just so damned therapeutic to rant about it every now and then.

You know, that doesn't sound like a bad way to spend the holiday. I've been postponing playing video games until next Saturday when I'm officially on holiday, and I am looking forward to it.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Christmas 2018
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 02:13:56 PM »
^ Going to watch that later. :popcorn: It's midnight and I can't remember where I put my headphones. :P

No that was last nights dream.

Am I stuck in the Twilight Zone or something?  :scratch:
Miscellaneous / Re: [Based Opinions] Let kids be kids
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 02:12:34 PM »
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, unless it doesn’t. 
Many people are damaged by their childhoods.
Some don’t survive, acceptable attrition I suppose.
Mmh… Yes, but. "Acceptable" depends on how broadly you look at the issue at hand. (I get to do two examples in this post, and I does like me some examples. Thanks, Penny. :) )

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, unless it doesn’t. Many people are damaged in their childhood by riding bicycles. Some don't survive. Acceptable attrition?

A version I read once of that went: what doesn't kill you gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humour.  That's the one I agree with.

I like that. :popcorn:
Media / Re: A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 02:02:32 PM »
So... Who thinks that somehow, in the end there will be a sword-off between the fire Z and the ice Z?

Trouble is, I kind of like them both... And the ice Z will die.  :-\ Very sad.

There's a fire zombie now?  Is it Kat?
The feller what’s banging the Dragon Queen. Him be a Z, remember? :-P

He just doesn't act like a zombie.  Jon is more like that fire-sword guy who got brought back a lot, I think they're something different from zombies.

I don't remember if it was said in one of the episodes or in the book but Beric Dondarrion mentioned that each time he was brought back he lost a part of himself. Maybe on the zombie spectrum with 1 being Jon Snow and 10 being the classic brainless zombie being a 10, Dondarrion would be a 3 or 4.
Media / Re: A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 01:43:51 PM »
So... Who thinks that somehow, in the end there will be a sword-off between the fire Z and the ice Z?

Trouble is, I kind of like them both... And the ice Z will die.  :-\ Very sad.

I think there will, but I'm hoping that Jon versus the Night King won't be the climax of the final battle. It would be too predictable if it were.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: For Hermes
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 12:16:09 PM »
Does niece Lulu sleep in her cage?

:lol:

Niece Lulu goes wherever there's a computer or tablet or cell phone. If there is at least one those in a cage, she wouldn't complain. If not, then her mother would never hear the end of it. 
Obituaries / Re: RIP, Nancy Wilson
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 01:42:51 AM »
^ One of my favorites. 

May she rest in Peace at a place  where the music is pleasing.
Obituaries / RIP, Nancy Wilson
« Last post by Sandra Craft on Today at 01:24:54 AM »
Miscellaneous / Re: Things You Would Tell Your Younger Self
« Last post by Essie Mae on Today at 12:24:01 AM »
I have to console myself when I think of some of the foolish decisions, and dismissed opportunities I had in my youth.  I have learned that self criticism is useful  but that self flagellation is not productive, and certainly not comfort making. 

We must not necessarily forgive ourselves for the dumb shit that we did but we had better not let it define our psyche either.  So we made some mistakes...........I made aplenty of them and there were some behaviors  that I am not proud of.  I/we should understand that poor judgements at the age of 17 are not the judgements we will make today.  Silver can tell us that brains do not develop fully until we are 24, 26, or more. 

I have some regrets but I refuse to let those regrets drive my destiny.   This from a guy who has been there, done that, for damned close to a century.

My regrets, if I dwelt on them are that I didn’t go there, do that, for nigh on 60 years. I was too scared but then the grass on the other side always looks greener. I wouldn’t say anything to my younger self because speaking from a position of reason to one who lives by faith is a pointless exercise. I didn’t change until the weight of the doubts which came from my own reactions to what I was being asked to believe were so heavy that they overcame my fear and toppled my faith.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10