Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Science / A small revolution in antenna technology?
« Last post by Dave on Today at 12:37:03 PM »
In the prog I quoted in the 4D printing post there was something about an "Atomic Radio".

Relistening to that piece it is more of an "atomic aerial" ,  a "capsule" of laser excited atoms that react to radio waves in such a way that they modulate the laser light in a detectable way. Sounds like it is working in the microwave, gigaHertz, range but it has a "cover-all" frequency response within that range.

Early days yet, definitely not hi-fi but, remember that the laser was described as, "a solution looking for a problem," when it was first announced.
Laid Back Lounge / Small celebrations
« Last post by Dave on Today at 11:23:47 AM »
I had enough brain cells awake on getting up today to remember to get the chicken breast and a chunk of olive bread out of the freezer to defrost for the evening meal. All without a post-it, a note on the whiteboard or an alarm on my phone!

Many years ago a well known brewery put out ads with a bottle of champers and a bottle of their lager. Under the former was, "To celebrate a birth, graduation or wedding etc." Under the lager was, "To celebrate the Readers' Digest marketing department losing your address."

This got them into legal trouble with RD!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: A Word for the Day
« Last post by Dave on Today at 08:37:03 AM »

That's one of my favourites! Have used it to show how a normally 'silent', in English pronounciation at least, letter gets pronounced when its word is in a combination.

Those who converted Greek pronounciation for use by other languages, and left us with many 'silent' letters, can either be cursed or praised depending on how you view language, as a subject of mere learning or intense interest!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by Dave on Today at 08:22:46 AM »
You're definitely smarter than me but, in that situation, I suggest honesty. Simply say that you don't know and then figure out the answer after class. Once you're a world renowned lecturer in about twenty years it'll be tough for a student to stump you.

I'm really not that smart, I can barely get by at times! I like your answer! :thumbsup: And you're right, I should just say something like 'that's a good question. So good in fact, that I don't have an answer, but will do a little research and answer it next week.

They ssy that an instructor need only be two steps head of the class to be safe - but there is always the bright smart-ass who reads ahead (or is on the second time round and enjoys taunting instructors.)

"An excellent question and one that deserves exploration - perhaps you could do that research as an extra assignment and tell us all about it next week?" seems the perfect response if you can pull it off!
^

Thanks for that, Silver.

As a lay person I don't know but am going to guess that the curability/non-curability proponents could both be right, that there are so many possible combinations of variables that each case is close to being unique in the smallest detail.

And, right-on with the reactions to bad (and maybe suppressed) memories being triggered by "neutral things"! Seemingly totally out of context to observers.

And I had forgotten the story of the neurologist (or surgeon) who had "psychopathic brain structures" but whoes life environment and experience mitigated against his expressing the behaviour.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Things that make you chuckle
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 03:06:40 AM »
Media / Re: A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 03:01:32 AM »

:woohoo!:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Things that make you chuckle
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 02:30:36 AM »
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 01:33:26 AM »
You're definitely smarter than me but, in that situation, I suggest honesty. Simply say that you don't know and then figure out the answer after class. Once you're a world renowned lecturer in about twenty years it'll be tough for a student to stump you.

I'm really not that smart, I can barely get by at times! I like your answer! :thumbsup: And you're right, I should just say something like 'that's a good question. So good in fact, that I don't have an answer, but will do a little research and answer it next week. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10