News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New Blog Post: Has Evolution Been Proven?

Started by hackenslash, May 20, 2016, 10:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackenslash

There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Recusant

Reading and appreciating! I'll at least comment here, even if I can't find any quibbles.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Very excellent, I enjoyed reading that quite a bit...and shared it on twitter. Thank you for posting.

Invariably when discussing evolution with creationists or listening to them on the radio arguing against it evolution the word random is one of the first to enter the conversation from their side which is why I particiully like this bit from your post.

Properly, evolution is neither random nor non-random. It's stochastic, which means simply that future states of the system are contingent upon initial conditions plus one or more random variables.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Essie Mae

Very good - only skimmed it tonight; too tired to read deeply, but will revisit. Fantastic to have articles like that freely available. Bit hard to explain to a creationist.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

hackenslash

Thanks peeps. If you enjoy that, be sure to check out my other posts, most of which are about physics and philosophy, but generally with some debunking element to them.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Magdalena

Hackenslash and Recusant, I don't know much about, abiogenesis, cosmological evolution, organic evolution, thermodynamics, natural selection, etc...But you inspire me to want to know more about it.

So, thank you.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hackenslash

That's all the thanks I need, knowing that somebody gets something out of it.

Incidentally, you're not the only butterfly of doom of my acquaint. The other one is considerably more doomy, though, and the inspiration for one of my favourite occasional signature lines:

There is no more thunderous prescient of doom than the flutter of tiny wings...

Tank knows whomof I speak.

Tank

Quote from: hackenslash on May 27, 2016, 09:55:05 PM

Incidentally, you're not the only butterfly of doom of my acquaint. The other one is considerably more doomy, though, and the inspiration for one of my favourite occasional signature lines:

I do  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on May 27, 2016, 10:02:20 PM
Quote from: hackenslash on May 27, 2016, 09:55:05 PM

I do  :grin:

Yes, hackenslash, you and I met when Gerry Rzeppa was here trying to 'find common ground' with us. Remember that?  Who could forget it? You mentioned that butterfly of doom and Ecurb Noselrub posted a sample of his work...Very impressive, there's no way I could ever compete with him.   :smileshake:

...Tank gave me that title, he has a funny sense of humor because we know the butterfly of doom both of you know, is nothing like me, we're as different as the Great Auk and the Emperor Penguin...Tank is so funny.  :lol:
:foottap:

:grin:

Anyways....
One thing is clear...butterflies follow you, hackenslash;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hackenslash

Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2016, 03:37:33 AM
Yes, hackenslash, you and I met when Gerry Rzeppa was here trying to 'find common ground' with us. Remember that?  Who could forget it? You mentioned that butterfly of doom and Ecurb Noselrub posted a sample of his work...Very impressive, there's no way I could ever compete with him.   :smileshake:

Ah yes, I recall.

QuoteAnyways....

Umm, I think they're bluebottles...

Magdalena

Quote from: hackenslash on May 28, 2016, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2016, 03:37:33 AM

Ah yes, I recall.

QuoteAnyways....

Umm, I think they're bluebottles...
:snicker:

Fine, how about something in the middle...like a moth?
Like a moth to a flame.
Your posts, illuminate, or enlighten me.

hackenslash

Just for you.

And thank you for your kind comments.

Magdalena

Icarus

Mags, the butterfly is enormously influential as most students of Chaos Theory are well aware. Surely that suggests that you are a special person kind of butterfly. Wear your wings well.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on June 03, 2016, 11:56:12 PM
Mags, the butterfly is enormously influential as most students of Chaos Theory are well aware. Surely that suggests that you are a special person kind of butterfly. Wear your wings well.
Icarus, your wings are not so bad either.  ;)

Wait. "Wear you wings well..."  :scratch: --What does this mean?
Does this mean that I should behave a little bit more?
--You know that's not impossible, but very difficult for me butterflies, right?  :(