News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Society, baby boomers to millennials - and beyond?

Started by Dave, January 08, 2018, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 08, 2018, 06:37:35 PM
Geez, attacking a whole generation is painting with a pretty broad brush.  We were born 1946 to 1963, so we didn't start reaching voting until 1964, and that was just the first group of us.  I got there in 1970, and the youngest of us could vote in 1981.  The first Boomer President was Clinton.   I'm not seeing how we screwed everything up.  We split fairly evenly along party lines, so when we were voting we were largely canceling ourselves out, and the difference in elections could have been made up by other generations, who were voting, too.  I don't think you can lay everything at the feet of one generation.
Hrm, voting form 1970 and beyond is the exact voting period where things started to turn from responsible tax payers to voting to eliminate taxes. If we look at the voting by age Not very split down the middle.

And the country that we have now, is the trending result of the voting practices over that time until now. If we look at the votes in terms of generations, the policies and politicians that are supported by the Baby Boomers are the very policies and politicians in action right now. Not so true for younger generations.

And of course not all the blame can be placed on one generation, blacks, hispanics/latinos of that generation are mostly not voting that way so maybe it's mostly the fault of white people from that generation.

If "that" generation is going to go around bemoaning "other" generations, then it's perfectly fair to apply it equally back to them. Or maybe this is on of those, "do as I say and not as I do," things was so popular from parents out of that generation.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 08, 2018, 07:05:28 PM
Millennials -- why are they the worst?

Good link, Silver, and I have seen quotes similar to that from Hesiod.  Al Capp wrote:

QuoteToday's younger generation is no worse than my own. We were just as ignorant and repulsive as they are, but nobody listened to us.

What goes around comes around.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on January 08, 2018, 02:23:54 PM

Perhsps I am thinking of the "true millenials", 17 - 18yos!

According to this list, that would actually be Generation Z:

The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe, is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.

The G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 to 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw described U.S members of this cohort as the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.

The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 to 1942. It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.

The Baby Boomers are the generation that were born mostly following World War II. There are no precise dates when the cohort birth years start and end. Typically, they range from the early-to-mid 1940s and end from 1960 to 1964. Increased birth rates were observed during the post–World War II baby boom making them a relatively large demographic cohort.

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation following the baby boomers. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years in the early 1980s. The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.  In the U.S., some called Generation Xers the "baby bust" generation because of the drop in the birth rate following the baby boom. The drop in fertility rates in America began in the late 1950s. But according to authors and demographers William Strauss and Neil Howe (who use 1961 to 1981 for Gen X birth years), there are approximately 88.5 million Gen Xers in the U.S. today.

Millennials, also known as Generation Y, were born in early to mid-1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. As of April 2016, the Millennials surpassed the Baby Boomers in size in the U.S., with 76 million Boomers and 77 million Millennials.

Generation Z, also known as the iGeneration, Post-Millennials, Homeland Generation, or Plurals is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, while there is little consensus yet regarding ending birth years. A significant aspect of this generation is the widespread usage of the Internet from a young age.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

That was a good post Sandy. It sorts out the possible confusion of who is from what time interval.  I reckon then that I am a member of the "silent generation".  That is a misnomer because old bastards like me are sometimes pretty boisterous.

I can both defend the gen Ys and also damn them.  Truth to tell there are some plenty sharp, ambitious, hard working, intelligent, responsible gen Y people and some parasitic gimme more types who are not reality based.  I do not think that we can indict a whole generation or even a part of it because there are some of that generation who are not pulling their own weight and have little or no apparent desire to do so.

The young woman in Silvers Ted vid is going to be alright.  I might not agree altogether with what she is selling but I am cautiously confident that she and the ones like her are going to run the world with reasonable wisdom.   We old ones must not lose sight of the fact that those kids are the ones who will, pretty soon, steer the nation and other nations into whatever the future holds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 08, 2018, 11:34:44 PM
...parasitic gimme more types who are not reality based. 

Now I've got Britney Spear's 'Gimme More' song stuck in my head!  :'(

Every time they turn the lights down
Just want to go that extra mile for you
You public display of affection
Feels like no one else in the room (but you)

We can get down like there's no one around
We'll keep on rockin' (We'll keep on rockin')
We'll keep on rockin' (Keep on rockin')
Cameras are flashin' while we're dirty dancin'
They keep watching (They keep watching)
Keep watching

Feels like the crowd is saying

Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More

A center of attention (Can you feel them?)
Even when we're up against the wall
You've got me in a crazy position (yeah)
If you're on a mission (uh-uh)
You got my permission (oh)

We can get down like there's no one around
We'll keep on rockin' (Keep on rockin')
We'll keep on rockin', rockin' (Oh ah ha)
Cameras are flashin' while we're dirty dancin'
They keep watching (They keep watching)
Keep watching

Feel's like the crowd is saying:

Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More

Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More (Gimme more)
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More (Oh woah oh!)
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more (Gimme more, yeah)
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More

Give me more, give me more
Give me more, give me more babe (Danja Danja, Danj)
I just want more!

Gimme, Gimme
Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme, Gimme
Gimme,
Gimme, Gimme

Bet you didn't see this one comin
The incredible ligo
The legendary Ms. Britney Spears
And the unstoppable Danja
You're gonna have to remove me
Cause I ain't goin nowhere
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Davin on January 08, 2018, 07:39:49 PM

If "that" generation is going to go around bemoaning "other" generations, then it's perfectly fair to apply it equally back to them. Or maybe this is on of those, "do as I say and not as I do," things was so popular from parents out of that generation.

I'm not bemoaning any particular generation.  That would be a gross over-generalization that is fraught with fallacy.  When you start dumping all blacks, or all whites, or all Boomers, or any other group, into a stereotyped bucket, seems like you are on a slippery slope. 

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 09, 2018, 06:15:31 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 08, 2018, 07:39:49 PM

I'm not bemoaning any particular generation.  That would be a gross over-generalization that is fraught with fallacy.  When you start dumping all blacks, or all whites, or all Boomers, or any other group, into a stereotyped bucket, seems like you are on a slippery slope.
Good thing that your seemings seem to mean nothing important then.

When talking about things on a certain scale, it is implied that the things discussed occur at that scale. If we talk about how single person does one thing or another, talking about how all white men act doesn't really mean anything because all meaning dies in the process of trying to apply the faulty comparison. Just like when we're talking about generations, saying that individuals do one thing or other in spite of the majority of the group doesn't really mean anything because the faulty comparison voids all meaning.

No slippery slope here for me, but you might want to be careful.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.