News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Do you have a login problem?

Started by AnimatedDirt, February 03, 2011, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

My problem is this;  I use one computer during the day and another, from another location, in the evening.  Early on, I didn't have a problem logging in from either computer or location.  In the past few weeks, I've not been able to login from my evening computer.  My daily computer is a PC and my evening computer is a MAC.

I do the normal logging in process and get the old, You've exceeded the max. allowed number of login attempts...you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.

So I login with my username, enter my password and enter the code for the CAPTCHA.  I then click the Login button...and the vicious circle begins again at the You've exceeded the max. allowed number of login attempts...

I try three to four times and then quit trying figuring I may be locked out if I try too many times unsuccessfully.

Has anyone else experienced this or the like or does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

LegendarySandwich

This is a related thread.

Are you sure you're entering the CAPTCHA characters correctly?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"This is a related thread.

Are you sure you're entering the CAPTCHA characters correctly?
I hope so...I can't be THAT blind time and time again.
I saw that other thread, thx.  :)

Whitney

AD's problem hasn't been solved yet, it's not related to captcha.  I was able to replicate it on my netbook (which means I can't log in from my netbook).

Netbook is running windows 7; using firefox.

LegendarySandwich

Maybe you have to log out from one computer before you can log in from another.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Maybe you have to log out from one computer before you can log in from another.
That would be odd considering I didn't do that in the past and don't need to do that on other forums.  I can try that, but I'm afraid the problem, whatever it is, may invade this computer once I log out.  I guess I'll have to give that a try though.  I hope it's that easy.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Maybe you have to log out from one computer before you can log in from another.
That would be odd considering I didn't do that in the past and don't need to do that on other forums.  I can try that, but I'm afraid the problem, whatever it is, may invade this computer once I log out.  I guess I'll have to give that a try though.  I hope it's that easy.
It's not supposed to do that, obviously, but it very well could be the problem.

Whitney

I tried logging out then back in on my laptop (not the netbook) and didn't have a problem logging back in.  So you should be okay; you have my email if it doesn't work.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Whitney"

I tried logging out then back in on my laptop (not the netbook) and didn't have a problem logging back in.  So you should be okay; you have my email if it doesn't work.
I will give this a shot this evening (biting nails).

Whitney

If possible catch some screen shots of what it does; that may help some of the tech people on the board diagnose the problem.

AnimatedDirt

I forgot to logout of this computer yesterday!  Grr.

I *should remember to do so today.

Whitney

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I forgot to logout of this computer yesterday!  Grr.

I *should remember to do so today.

Since I keep mine all perpetually logged in till the computer decides to log me out...it probably shouldn't be the actual problem, just something worth trying.

Perhaps try resetting your history/cookies on the computer that is not working then going to the bottom of the forum page and clicking on  "delete all board cookies" located towards the very bottom right of the page....then try logging in again.

AnimatedDirt

FIXED!

As it turns out, I only needed to reset my password and that did the trick.  :)

Asmodean

For the record: I am sometimes logged in simultaneously on two computers sharing an IP and one on a different IP. Never had a problem with it. I don't think these boards are like MSN - they don't actively keep track of a user being logged in two or more places at once, beyond IP and action logging nor do they prevent such logins... As far as I can demonstrate, that is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

I received the following in email today...any suggestions?

QuoteHi Rastelin from the forum here. I tried to log in to the happy atheist forum but it would not accept my log in data. I requested a new password and got it, but it did not help either.
It tells me that my account is activated and all, but nevertheless refuse to accept the log in.

It all started after the code confirmation was introduced. Please help. I am out of ideas.

note, since this email was sent to me from an account different than the one Rastelin used to register I have asked the person to send me an email from the registered account...waiting on response.

He says he already reset his password.

We have already ruled out it being a new computer or it being Caps Lock.

When he emails me from his registered account I was thinking of trying manually changing the password then emailing the new one to him.

What else could it be? (or if I don't get an email as requested I'll assume it was attempted theft of the account)