News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Evolution & religion can coexist, according to poll

Started by MrE2Me, March 20, 2007, 05:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomday

Quote from: "rdm"The ark story is likewise taken as allegory, so the issue of dinosaurs does not apply.

QuoteA man making a meal for 5000 from a few loaves of bread and some fish?  A man rising from the dead?
The point of these deeds is that they are miraculous.

Funny isn't it that those who claim the bible to be "the word of God" can choose to call any part of it "an allegory" (I thought he word 'parable' was used in the bible to denote allegoric content - seems like the book is full of parabollocks!)
Feeding the 5000 is only as 'miraculous' as StarTrek's food replicator - both the fruits of an imaginative mind! Not so miraculous, surely, as the fact that it only takes one book to feed millions with mind-boggling garbage!

Bella

Quote from: "rdm"The ark story is likewise taken as allegory, so the issue of dinosaurs does not apply.

QuoteA man making a meal for 5000 from a few loaves of bread and some fish?  A man rising from the dead?

Yes, that IS the point... Science doesn't write off events as "miracles", it either explains things or it says that it doesn't know. Gah, I'm just feeding the troll, right?

jcm

The way the bible paints heaven was a place that existed in the clouds. If you looked up and prayed to god, he would answer you. When you die your soul rose to heaven and you lived there forever. Your soul, "the thing that is you", rose to the "place" called heaven. Well science went looking for heaven in the clouds and it is not there. Heaven is not above the earth or out in space. Now heaven seems to be outside of space and time. Why is that? Why are images of angels seen flying around in clouds with wings? Wouldn't images of angels documented in the bible be the actual images of angels? If angels do not have wings then why are they depicted with wings? If the earth took longer than 6 days to create, then why didn't the bible say that? Seems science has pushed god further and further away? The idea of rising has become metaphoric now, but it at one time was taken literally. Your soul really did rise up to heaven or went down into hell. And what of the soul? Where is it? A human is the following: life form, organs, cells, molecules, atoms, and quarks. What is the soul made of and how is it bound the human body? From the vantage point inside an atom, would the soul even know it was in a life form? The real view of reality is one without divine influence. Real things are things that can be measured even though they seem invisible. The metaphysical only exists in our minds. Biblical foreknowledge has been discounted time and time again so it would seem that science, over religion, should be the best tool to answer life's most fundamental questions. Things happen for a reason and seem to work just fine with out god. Like Carl says "a universe with no edge in space, no beginning or end in time, and nothing for a Creator to do."
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

rlrose328

Says a religious person who has been brainwashed to believe that which is in the bible.  Why do you believe a man made a meal for 5000 people from such meager supplies but yet you say the ark story is allegory?  I know many people in my real life, right here in my little town, who believe the ark story is not only very factual, but that there WERE dinosaurs on the ark (albeit, in baby or egg form so they'd fit...  :lol:  :roll: ).  Why is YOUR belief that it's allegory any more valid than theirs that it's not?

There ARE miracles in this world...they are unexplained occurences, such as my conceiving a child when modern medicine said it wouldn't happen (yes, science can be wrong... medicine is not an exact science).  But I'm not attributing that to a god just because there's not a ready answer.

If you can say that the ark is allegory, I can say the fish/bread and rising from the dead stories are allegory (or fairy tale, you choose) as well.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

I don't see how anyone can believe that the 'ark' story is even remotely factual.  Nor do I understand the point if it is not.  If it didn't happen, then in what fashion is it "allegorical"?  What, if anything, actually did happen? And if it is a total fabrication (as seems likely) then what is the 'allegorical' point?  The whole business seems ultimately pointless to me.

jcm

The point of the ark story is to show that someone would trust god and do the impossible if god requests it. Like the story of santa clause or paul bunyan there may have been a real person, but the real story of their life is no where close to the fable.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

rlrose328

I'm sorry, but if "god" spoke to me and told me to build a huge boat so that I, my family and two of every species would survive a worldwide flood that would wipe out every other living thing on earth, I'd tell him to go take a flying leap.  I don't participate in genocide... I don't CARE who it is who asks me to do that.

Hitler did it... maybe he was the second coming, we'll never know.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Bella

Jesus had his little stories that he told... but the Bible actually says that they are STORIES. As for that ark crud, the Bible goes on from there with its "history" with killing the goat and so on.

SteveS

Quote from: "jcm"The point of the ark story is to show that someone would trust god and do the impossible if god requests it.
Ah.  Okay - I guess that could be considered of allegorical value.

Luckily for me, no gods have asked me to do anything.  Sweet - I'm sailing free and easy.....

jcm

SteveS, you must not be listening hard enough! If you try really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hard you will hear him talking to you. With that same about of effort you might also hear a message from your toaster that tells you to crap your pants on the bus at high noon this Thursday.

SteveS

How did you know my toaster told me that?!?!?!?!

jcm

HAHAHA! I feel sorry for the poor guy sitting next to you on the bus. Gross!

rdm

Quote from: "rlrose328"

Says a religious person who has been brainwashed to believe that which is in the bible.
Perhaps. Is that an adult way to represent atheism? The claim for miracles in the Bible is quite irrelevant in this context. The believers' position, or a believers' position, is that Genesis 1-11 is allegory, and that real chronology starts with Abram. The atheist must deal with that claimed distinction, not the claims for miracles, unless the only aim is to debunk fundamentalists, which other believers have as their aim also. And if that distinction cannot be shown to be a false one, there is no purpose in invoking science or practical considerations onto what could be allegory. Earlier generations of atheists did not make fools of themselves by pressing this objection.

Whitney

Quote from: "rdm"Perhaps. Is that an adult way to represent atheism? The claim for miracles in the Bible is quite irrelevant in this context. The believers' position, or a believers' position, is that Genesis 1-11 is allegory, and that real chronology starts with Abram. The atheist must deal with that claimed distinction, not the claims for miracles, unless the only aim is to debunk fundamentalists, which other believers have as their aim also. And if that distinction cannot be shown to be a false one, there is no purpose in invoking science or practical considerations onto what could be allegory. Earlier generations of atheists did not make fools of themselves by pressing this objection.

rdm...the objection was to your claim that it was a real miracle and your claim that you can know what was meant to be allegorical and what was not when few Christians seem to agree.

If you are going to leave the forum for over six months then return, you could at least return in a good mood.   :pop:

Will

Quote from: "rdm"Perhaps. Is that an adult way to represent atheism?
In describing how not all Christians are the same, you lump all atheists together, expecting there is a way to "represent atheism". I must admit to being a bit amused by this, with all due respect.

Quote from: "rdm"The claim for miracles in the Bible is quite irrelevant in this context. The believers' position, or a believers' position, is that Genesis 1-11 is allegory, and that real chronology starts with Abram. The atheist must deal with that claimed distinction, not the claims for miracles, unless the only aim is to debunk fundamentalists, which other believers have as their aim also. And if that distinction cannot be shown to be a false one, there is no purpose in invoking science or practical considerations onto what could be allegory. Earlier generations of atheists did not make fools of themselves by pressing this objection.
How about this: if Genesis 1-11 was an allegory, from whence did the allegory come? Were there supposedly people there? If so, that contradicts our scientifically verified understanding of the timeline of development of life on Earth, specifically intelligent human life. Was it fiction? If so, then all the Bible is suspect. Was it's source supposedly divine? That's a miracle, and thus we take issue. Please tell me if I'm missing an option.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.