Believe In Evolution? Your Help Wanted!

Started by Kylyssa, April 04, 2008, 01:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Hey, I could use some help debating someone in the comments to an editorial I wrote about morality and evolutionary psychology.  I'm at wits end with my explanations.  The commenter seems to think we think of evolution as an entity or consciousness.  And when I ask questions such as "And if the ability to reason came from God, why didn't God give us a decent rather than extremely flawed ability to reason?"  He thinks I'm considering "God" to be real and blaming "him" but "praising" evolution.

The same commenter is going around making less polite comments on other atheist articles on the same website.  To read the editorial and comments you can find both at the link below.

Where Morality Comes From, One Atheist's Opinion

I'm pulling out my hair as this person is also sending long-winded pm's debating the issue as well.  

Thanks for your consideration!

tacoma_kyle

Sounds convincing other than the fact that he/she is using terrible tactics and explanations thats make no sense to us.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Ashe

You have far more patience than I!

Fact is, people like that generally just won't ever get it. They're too stuck in their current way of thinking that you could throw science at them all day and it would just bounce right off 'em.

Will

No worries.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

tacoma_kyle

God damn Will, you are good with words. And kinda-sorta-maybe got that shit down.

jcm

Quote from: "Willravel"Suggesting there are universal meanings ignores those that disagree with you.

Nice!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Will

Hehe, thanks guys. I can't take all the credit. HAF has really helped me organize my thoughts on matters atheistic.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Kylyssa

Oh, awesome responses!  

My patience begins to fail after a time and I'd be horrified if I just broke down and "shouted" rude and unreasoned responses.

jcm

this is really getting stupid plus I am not signing up for another account just to post a comment.

As far as hope's last comment, here you go:

When a slave owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property. (Exod. 21:20-21)

the bible condones slavery too. so much for divine law. did god make a mistake?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Kylyssa

Yep, this is definitely getting pretty stupid.  I'm pretty OCD so I sometimes end up "discussing" something well beyond the point that I realize I'm beating my head against a ferroconcrete wall.  Thanks for one of the specific quotes, I was going to look a few up as it was the first thing that came to mind.

It's irritating that Associated Content makes commenters sign up if the comments to an article are too numerous.  I suppose it prevents anonymous trolls from being too annoying.

Asmodean Prime

The debate has gone a step further into chaos.  I wish I had more self control and had an easier time just letting things drop when I feel someone is being ignorant or bigoted.  I'm well aware they won't even agree to disagree so I'm not sure why I keep going.

Kylyssa

How odd, I was logged in when I posted that last reply.

Whitney

Quote from: "Kylyssa"How odd, I was logged in when I posted that last reply.

That is odd..especially since I thought I had it set up so guests can't post.

tacoma_kyle

Holy shit. Give up. That guy/gal has no life at all.

Maybe thats his substitute for praying.

If he/she is so thick headed that they cannot understand why someone should respect others, well...I dont know if more needs to be said.

Kylyssa

Yeah, I've given up.  It's difficult being as OCD as I am but I'm reining in my impulses and letting whoever say whatever without replying.