News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Atheist Agenda

Started by Earthling, October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristan Jay

Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2011, 03:38:06 PM
Tristan, that was a wonderful post.

Thanks for saying that...and for you and everyone else here, for just being here.  :)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tristan Jay on November 02, 2011, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2011, 03:38:06 PM
Tristan, that was a wonderful post.

Thanks for saying that...and for you and everyone else here, for just being here.  :)
D'awwww <3!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

That's a good post, as always Tristan Jay.

The way I see it (sorry for the overly clichéd few words that come next), you're either going to come out of this process trusting in yourself and believing in some spiritual/theistic/deistic/etc. philosophy, or trusting in yourself and more humanist-ish. Keep us posted :)

The good thing about these forums is that there are people who understand what you're going through (unfortunatly I couldn't count myself as one of them, having always been an atheist).    
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Gawen

QuoteWhat is the point in even being atheist?
At first, I was going to blow this thread off, but it kept bugging me and I had to come back.

*heavy sigh*

This discussion board speaks for itself through the atheists members. Spend a little time reading in the forums:
Life As An Atheist
Social Issues and Causes
Philosophy
Religion
Creationism/Intelligent Design

...and you may begin to understand
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM
Rather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

What is the point in even being atheist?

I knew this would come to the public eye sooner or later. All right, the agenda of atheists and scientists, who have been working together in secret for years, is to convert every last kid...

...to the metric system.  ;D

My reason for joining atheist/secular communities is because we're still an openly persecuted minority. Christians in the US have ultimate power.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/11/04/michigan-law-its-ok-to-bully-gay-kids-if-youre-a-christian/

For me to have a place to go and have actual discussions with large groups of people without worrying about being physically harmed, losing my job, getting harassed, detained, driven out of a community, or getting disowned by family is unreasonably important.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 06, 2011, 07:20:58 PM
Quote from: Earthling on October 29, 2011, 02:44:14 AM
Rather than impose anything more than my dubious title suggests I would like to know what the point of a forum like this is? A refuge from insanity? A social and political haven? An island of the rational in a rolling sea of stupidity and superstition? A place to mock and belittle other's beliefs? A lyceum for rational thought and scientific advancement?

What is the point in even being atheist?

For me to have a place to go and have actual discussions with large groups of people without worrying about being physically harmed, losing my job, getting harassed, detained, driven out of a community, or getting disowned by family is unreasonably important.

I agree. I live in a pretty tolerant place, but I still feel it's very important that I have an anonymous "happy place".
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.