News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, I think I'll binge on Netflix today.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2019, 11:28:54 AM

That sounds like a good plan. Comedy specials are fun to watch without having to think too hard.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on November 20, 2019, 05:18:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 20, 2019, 11:28:54 AM

That sounds like a good plan. Comedy specials are fun to watch without having to think too hard.

I'll have to leave binge-watching to Plan B, for another day. Slept all through this one.  :P

billy rubin

yoiu know what?

sleep is a wonderful de-stresser.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

You must have pretty burned out, to sleep like that. Feel better, now?

xSilverPhinx

Yes, I feel better now. I've even been able to add a bit to my master's thesis which is due in February or March, so I'm feeling uncharacteristically productive today.  :)

jumbojak

Dermatitis is on my mind today. It looks like I slept on a fire ant's nest. Gotta keep going though... *Sigh*

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on November 12, 2019, 04:19:07 PM. . . By the way, these are the "thick and slow legs" I was talking about:

Here's a video for you, Magdalena, and anybody else who's ever wondered about the legs of wine.  :sidesmile:

She insists on talking about "tears," which I find slightly annoying, but will happily overlook because as she notes at the start, she's not a wine drinker.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on November 21, 2019, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 12, 2019, 04:19:07 PM. . . By the way, these are the "thick and slow legs" I was talking about:

Here's a video for you, Magdalena, and anybody else who's ever wondered about the legs of wine.  :sidesmile:

She insists on talking about "tears," which I find slightly annoying, but will happily overlook because as she notes at the start, she's not a wine drinker.
Cool video.
Thanks, Recusant!
I've always wondered about the legs of wine. I'm always staring at them.  :shifty:
Wine Tears? Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Also, I had no idea whiskey had legs as well. I guess you learn something new every day.  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

A Somalier booze expert once told me that the "Legs" in whisky is to be avoided when possible.   He told me that it is Fusel oil produced with amyl alcohol during fermentation. That component influences taste and may be part of the cause of hangovers. 

It is easy to see if the booze bottle is of clear glass or plastic.  Shake the bottle and then let it rest.  The legs do look a bit oily. Buy the bottle or brand that has the least evidence of that phenomena?

I have no idea whether this is good information. Perhaps some of my more sophisticated friends can enlighten me.  I plead my case for the chemical analysis to, who else but, Hermes

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on November 22, 2019, 04:07:31 AM
A Somalier booze expert once told me that the "Legs" in whisky is to be avoided when possible.   He told me that it is Fusel oil produced with amyl alcohol during fermentation. That component influences taste and may be part of the cause of hangovers. 

It is easy to see if the booze bottle is of clear glass or plastic.  Shake the bottle and then let it rest.  The legs do look a bit oily. Buy the bottle or brand that has the least evidence of that phenomena?

I have no idea whether this is good information. Perhaps some of my more sophisticated friends can enlighten me.  I plead my case for the chemical analysis to, who else but, Hermes

I cannot confirm the truth of that personally. but I was told the same by my now-deceased organic chemistry professor when I was an undergraduate in another life. I can only assume that it is correct.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Mags:  Please translate these words for me....Mara Salvatrucha.  I read that somewhere.  I was told that is the  MS13 abbreviation.  Just curiosity about words that are not in my vocabulary.  The few Spanish words that I know are profanities.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on November 25, 2019, 02:51:38 AM
Mags:  Please translate these words for me....Mara Salvatrucha.  I read that somewhere.  I was told that is the  MS13 abbreviation.  Just curiosity about words that are not in my vocabulary.  The few Spanish words that I know are profanities.
Mara means, gang, or a group of people. Salvatrucha is a slang way of saying Salvadoran.
So, it literally means, a group of Salvadorans.

The criminal gang, MS-13, uses those words to identify themselves. They originated in Los Angeles, California, in the 1970s and 1980s. The gang protected Salvadoran immigrants from other gangs in the L.A. area.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I think it's time for a fancy belt buckle to go with my fancy boots that I spent tonight cleaning and oiling. I'd like a crow and found one on Amazon.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

there are four rod bolts in my race bike motor. i explicitly remember tightening only three of them. the chances that i did not tighten that last bolt are a hundred to one, but if i didnt its another blow up.

although the motor is assembled and ready to run, im going to have to take it apart again and make sure i torqued that bolt just to have peace of mind.

set the function, not the mechanism.