News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What're your English bugbears?

Started by Siz, December 20, 2011, 02:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

^ I've never paid much attention to that, but now that I think about it, it doesn't really make much sense.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

I think it's a weird mix of "another" and "a whole other"
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 26, 2011, 01:32:16 AM
To has one "o" which seems a reasonable thing to do.
Too has "oo," which could be considered too much.

I <3 you.  This is exactly the sort of humor (humour?) that I love.

I have to admit that grammar and spelling aren't my biggest strengths - at least when I am writing in an informal setting such as on a message board or a personal email.  I like to speak in my own "voice" which isn't always grammatically correct, and for some reason my work computer (yes, I often post from work) doesn't catch misspellings online.  I could type everything out in a Word document before posting, but I'm purely too lazy.  The funny part is that I'm actually pretty good at grammar and punctutation when I try.  My husband is an English teacher, and when he was working on his Master's, I used to proof read all of his papers for him.  But other than helping the hubs get the grades, I'm a lazy thing, so what you see is what you get.

Of course, now you've all exposed your soft underbellies to me.  Now I know that errant apostrophes and incorrect "yours" will drive you all insane.  So watch yourselves.  Because some day, if you chance my wrath, I will drink a bottle of red wine and begin r@nt'in n l33t txtpk UnTILLL UR TR3MBlN' b4 M333333!!!!!'!

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on January 06, 2012, 06:07:21 PM
I <3 you.
Back when The Asmo was but a tiny lump of clay, it took him quite some time to figure out what people meant by "I less than three somebody". Seemed like an exercise in obviousness. When speaking of and to people of the same age, NOT being <3 someone would make one a fatass indeed...

Eventually, however, some chat service was kind enough to point out to The Asmo, that the "less than" and the "three" formed a heart, in the sideways way of smileys. The Asmo, however, still thinks the thing looks more like balls hanging out a hole in the pants.  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on January 06, 2012, 06:14:20 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 06, 2012, 06:07:21 PM
I <3 you.
Back when The Asmo was but a tiny lump of clay, it took him quite some time to figure out what people meant by "I less than three somebody". Seemed like an exercise in obviousness. When speaking of and to people of the same age, NOT being <3 someone would make one a fatass indeed...

Eventually, however, some chat service was kind enough to point out to The Asmo, that the "less than" and the "three" formed a heart, in the sideways way of smileys. The Asmo, however, still thinks the thing looks more like balls hanging out a hole in the pants.  ???

So in your mind Ali said "I teabagged you"?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on January 06, 2012, 06:23:12 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 06, 2012, 06:17:22 PM
So in your mind Ali said "I teabagged you"?
Well... Yes.  ;D

That's totally what I meant.  I teabag you, Magic Pudding.  What is this other use of <3 that you speak of?   ;D

Ihateyoumike

The only one that ever really bothers me is using loose instead of lose. It just makes me cringe every time i see it, and I feel like it's the most misspelled word out there on teh interwebz.

It just makes me loose my mind every time I see it.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Stevil

Davin

Quote from: Stevil on January 06, 2012, 08:37:54 PMthankyou as one word
I see that alot.

Another one that kind of bugs me is when someone writes, "[...] he thought to himself." Like he could think to anyone else.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Siz

Quote from: Davin on January 06, 2012, 08:49:41 PM
I see that alot.

Another one that kind of bugs me is when someone writes, "[...] he thought to himself." Like he could think to anyone else.

Alot as one word

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 06, 2012, 09:03:10 PM
I see that alot.

Alot as one word
Exactly!
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Siz

Quote from: Davin on January 06, 2012, 09:04:08 PM
I see that alot.

Alot as one word
Exactly!

D'oh!  ::)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

lomfs24

I see that alot.

Alot as one word

I remember a sign on the wall of my grade school classroom that said "A lot is two words." I remember thinking that essays in that class were going to be a breeze because three words would be more than a lot.

Ihateyoumike

"hmmm...", I thought too myself, I could of... no, I should of basically written more in my last post. I definately could care less about all this, but if I write what I'm literally thinking, then, I might loose alot of your's interest and might just have to find a whole nother forum to post at. Their's just to many of you that basically decimate the entire forum posting about how you h8 the bugears that people write. I don't get it. Alot of my friend's and me are different backgrounds, and different colors, and different in many ways.... And there some of the best people I know, literally. I less than three every single one of them. So thankyou for listening. Its' something important to me, and I don't want all of you to loose sight of what's important.
<3
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.