News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

Started by Tank, September 25, 2011, 05:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

QuoteWomen in Saudi Arabia are to be given the right to vote and run in future municipal elections, King Abdullah has announced.

He said they would also have the right to be appointed to the consultative Shura Council.

The move was welcomed by activists who have called for greater rights for women in the kingdom, which enforces a strict version of Sunni Islamic law.

The changes will occur after municipal polls on Thursday, the king said.

King Abdullah announced the move in a speech at the opening of the new term of the Shura Council - the formal body advising the king, whose members are all appointed.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior clerics and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from next term," he said.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."...

A bit of good news.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

Pardon my French, but fuck yeah. Religious powers of control so very often incite and reinforce ancient, nonsensical bigotries like sexism. It's wonderful to see their influence wane and to see equality spread like wildfire throughout the world. Women and men are of equal value and no prophet or ancient scripture can do anything to change that.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

The Magic Pudding

It's a start, or I hope it is.
Some woman can be part of the problem, older woman are very much involved in perpetuating the female genital mutilation horror.
Anyway good luck to them, I hope they can achieve change without too many martyrs.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

When will they be allowed to drive cars, or go away from home without a letter of permission from their male owner?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Stevil on September 26, 2011, 07:07:00 AM
When will they be allowed to drive cars, or go away from home without a letter of permission from their male owner?

I think on their 75th birthday would be appropriate.
But then its hard to generalise, depends on their ability to elicit evil thoughts in men folk.
The release date should not be made without considering a wide range of factors, such as possession of own teeth, whether lack of own teeth is likely to elicit sinful faults, it's all so very complicated.  Women are so lucky they don't have to worry their little heads about this complicated stuff.   

Asmodean

'bout damned time.

Next step is getting them to vote for what they want, not what husbands, brothers, fathers and others with a penis and a beard say.  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on September 26, 2011, 10:56:20 AM
'bout damned time.

Next step is getting them to vote for what they want, not what husbands, brothers, fathers and others with a penis and a beard say.  8)
Yep. You can definitly see some women as simply being an extension vote of the alpha male. He just tells his sons, daughters and wives who to vote for. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea  :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Do most women even watch the news without husband-censorship over there, mewonder..?  ???
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

One day, maybe they will even be allowed in schools to get educated, hopefully topics other than cooking and sewing.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on September 26, 2011, 11:19:56 AM
One day, maybe they will even be allowed in schools to get educated, hopefully topics other than cooking and sewing.
...Then they'll be able to vote based on other things than a politician's kitchen-political view too.

Imagine a Saudi plumber having to cook dinner for like 12 attorney-wives.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on September 26, 2011, 11:19:56 AM
In Iran more women go onto higher education than men.

Education in Iran

QuoteWomen make up more than 60 percent of Iranian university students with some fields in science and engineering having more than 70 percent of their alumni be women.[11] The opportunities for women education and their involvement in higher education has grown exponentially after the Iranian Revolution.[11] According to UNESCO world survey, Iran has the highest female to male ratio at primary level of enrollment in the world among sovereign nations, with a girl to boy ratio of 1.22 : 1.00.[12]

It's a pity Saudi Arabia falls so far behind Iran in this respect.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 26, 2011, 07:36:53 AM

But then its hard to generalise, depends on their ability to elicit evil thoughts in men folk.
The release date should not be made without considering a wide range of factors, such as possession of own teeth, whether lack of own teeth is likely to elicit sinful faults, it's all so very complicated.  Women are so lucky they don't have to worry their little heads about this complicated stuff.   

I rest at ease knowing the men-folk are protecting me from myself. The absence of individual will is calming, ahhhhhh  8)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 26, 2011, 11:55:09 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 26, 2011, 07:36:53 AM

I rest at ease knowing the men-folk are protecting me from myself. The absence of individual will is calming, ahhhhhh  8)
We are like your knowledgable protectors and all we ask in return is for you to cook and clean some and and to fulfill our sexual desires. You are lucky indeed.

Sweetdeath

That's good news... I guess.

Still, depressing how slow moving  that country is.  :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.