News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

HAF book club: September poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, August 20, 2018, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Finally got a copy.  This is the most fascinating book on a boring topic I've ever read.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Finished this the other day, and I don't mind admitting that when I started this book I wasn't at all sure I'd be able to finish it.  It was much meatier than I expected.  But I did finish and while I don't think I understood more than half of it, I really enjoyed it.  Marked it up to within an inch of its life.

And I can say with confidence that I totally understand why zebras don't get ulcers and we do.  As well as a few other things, like how and when stress contributes to disease and depression, and about learned helplessness, a concept I found both fascinating and clarifying.  Even tho it's not a self-help book, I think Sapolsky has helped me to identify ways to stop derailing myself, particularly my tendency to magnify a problem to unrealistic proportions.  I can see myself thinking in the future, when I'm stressing about something, "You're doing it again, that thing the zebra man wrote about -- this isn't that big/permanent a problem.  So knock it off."

But aside from that, Sapolsky was just fun to read.  I loved his funny, and sometimes twisted, little stories and examples -- I got a huge kick out of the one about Type A personalities and furniture upholstering.  Not that he couldn't be just as engaging when he was serious (my goodness, he doesn't like Bernie Siegel at all) but the humor really helped get me thru what was often over my head.

I've already ordered his The Primate's Memoir and am eagerly waiting to get into that one.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 03, 2018, 06:21:28 PM
And I can say with confidence that I totally understand why zebras don't get ulcers and we do.  As well as a few other things, like how and when stress contributes to disease and depression, and about learned helplessness, a concept I found both fascinating and clarifying.  Even tho it's not a self-help book, I think Sapolsky has helped me to identify ways to stop derailing myself, particularly my tendency to magnify a problem to unrealistic proportions.  I can see myself thinking in the future, when I'm stressing about something, "You're doing it again, that thing the zebra man wrote about -- this isn't that big/permanent a problem.  So knock it off."

But aside from that, Sapolsky was just fun to read.  I loved his funny, and sometimes twisted, little stories and examples -- I got a huge kick out of the one about Type A personalities and furniture upholstering.  Not that he couldn't be just as engaging when he was serious (my goodness, he doesn't like Bernie Siegel at all) but the humor really helped get me thru what was often over my head.

That's about what I got out of the book too.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I should finish the book in a couple of days. :grin:

(Always late to the party)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey