News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

"Why are Americans still uncomfortable with atheism?"

Started by Sandra Craft, October 22, 2018, 11:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Obviously now any statistics you quote here will have no credibility whatsoever as you are evidently capable of twisting figures to suit yourself.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 04:08:15 PM

How convenient you ignore the Laid Back Lounge with 150,000 posts.

I was going to say... the laid back lounge is the most popular part of the forum (and why I love this place so much!)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 05:17:08 PM
Obviously now any statistics you quote here will have no credibility whatsoever as you are evidently capable of twisting figures to suit yourself.
I didn't even look at the numbers - I read the title and just disregarded it all together

I don't have any credibility whatsoever around here, anyway. You are all inclined to adhere to what you have known to be true and are not inclined to question it, even though, you recognize that there is dispute and discrepancies in the definitions; and that the procedure for editing dictionaries is not so scientific as what some people are beginning to expect of dictionary definitions, because of the increased access to information and search for reliable references.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2019, 08:55:48 PMScience is not about dogma, which is what you seem to want to instill in the 'debate'. An end-all definition that you find to adequately encompass atheists and atheism while not taking into consideration that atheists are a diverse group of people. Your view is too simplistic, and your 'solutions' are as well.

I understand that atheists are a diverse group. Every demographic grouping claims to be a diverse group. Nobody claims to be a monolithic grouping.

Atheists have a dogma - it is obvious, because of the recurring debate as to the definition of "atheism." Some have it right, and some have it wrong - that's dogma. Remember, "atheists are a diverse group of people."

The problem is that "atheism," is an improper designation for an ontology, the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology

When people refer to atheism as a decision of some sorts, they are unwittingly classifying it as an ontology - it is wrong. The proper ontology is humanism. That leaves atheism to be a political doctrine, which makes sense. Because when theism is eradicated, We are not going to refer to ourselves as atheists, anymore, because it would be stupid to refer to oneself as the antithesis of something that does not exist. If there are no theists, there is no reason to call yourself an, "atheist." "Humanist," is the correct solution.

Atheism is the political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine as the basis for public policy - the ambition is to eradicate theism by sanctioning only the reasoned reliable policies that lead to world peace.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

Tank

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on January 28, 2019, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 05:17:08 PM
I didn't even look at the numbers - I read the title and just disregarded it all together

I don't have any credibility whatsoever around here, anyway. You are all inclined to adhere to what you have known to be true and are not inclined to question it, even though, you recognize that there is dispute and discrepancies in the definitions; and that the procedure for editing dictionaries is not so scientific as what some people are beginning to expect of dictionary definitions, because of the increased access to information and search for reliable references.

Awww. Did the nasty man call out your intellectual dishonesty.  :therethere:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheFightSong

The grifters are uncomfortable with atheism because they want to keep grifting weak people's money in religious institutions that have a discreet process of channeling profit into pastors and priests' pocketbooks while others live impoverished lifestyles. It is fake charity. This happens normally in southern states from America. Religious leaders are putting southern Americans into increasing poverty and homelessness by distracting them with religion while ultra-wealthy elites get wealthier and America's infrastructure decays and wealth inequality increases compared to developed nations.

billy rubin

quakers dont pay anybody.

theres nobody to pay.

have to fix the roof but thats about it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."