News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: July poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, June 19, 2019, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin, by Robert M. Hazen
Life on Earth arose nearly 4 billion years ago, bursting forth from air, water, and rock. Though the process obeyed all the rules of chemistry and physics, the details of that original event pose as deep a mystery as any facing science. How did non-living chemicals become alive?

Grunt: the curious science of humans at war, by Mary Roach.  Tackles the science behind some of a soldier's most challenging adversaries -- panic, exhaustion, heat, noise -- and introduces us to the scientists who seek to conquer them.

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin
Tells the complete story of quantum mechanics, a truth stranger than any fiction. John Gribbin takes us step by step into an ever more bizarre and fascinating place, requiring only that we approach it with an open mind. He introduces the scientists who developed quantum theory. He investigates the atom, radiation, time travel, the birth of the universe, superconductors and life itself.

The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf
The forgotten life of Alexander von Humboldt, the visionary German naturalist whose ideas changed the way we see the natural world—and in the process created modern environmentalism.

The Sky's the Limit, by Anna Magnusson
In 2004, Vicky Jack completed the Seven Summits - the highest mountains in each of the seven continents. Whilst pursuing her climbing dream, she also carried on a high-flying career. This book tells her story.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Well, at least this time the tie is only two-way.  Your turn, Davin.
Sandy

Davin

Tough one. I'll go for In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Keep in mind, all this is coming from someone not that well versed in quantum mechanics.

I think this book was a very good shallow dive into quantum mechanics. I don't like the approach to the problems and the solutions found as described. I prefer to describe why people were having problems with what they were seeing or the theory, and then go on to describe how they resolved the problems. Where as many times in this book, the author chose to simply lead the reader to the solution and explain why it solved a problem. Not a big deal though, it was well written and nicely described.

Going into each thing seems like waste of time, so I'll just say that in general, they were well presented and described going over the big points all the way from Newton to modern quantum theory.

Then I got to the conclusion. The author presented things as either accepting the Copenhagen interpretation or the Many Worlds interpretation. Neither of them sits well with me, I have issues with both so I accept neither at present. And I have that luxury, not working in the field and all. I do think that work can be done without accepting either. We need an Einstein for quantum theory to come in and clean up QT in a similar way.

Anyway, it was a good short read.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Whew.  I just got my copy yesterday and I think I'm really in for it.
Sandy

Davin

Sandra Craft

Well, I'm almost to the second section while simultaneously reading "Pyramids".  I'm determined to finish "Schrodinger's Cat", but it's difficult when I'm only understanding about one word in 100 (and that may be too generous).  So far what I've managed to retain is that it took a lot of people a lot of effort and a deal of time to figure out anything about atoms.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Sandy

Davin

Sandra Craft

Well, I had to give up.  I've just reached chp 5 and I can't deal with it any more.  It's not going on the donation pile for the library, tho -- I'm putting it back on the TBR pile just in case I some day feel more up to the challenge.
Sandy