News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Imsomniacal mental meanderings

Started by Dave, December 13, 2016, 03:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on January 31, 2017, 07:39:25 PM
Interesting, pity they don't do an Android version.

There is an Android version, but it only works on some Android phones. There're also various Blue Light Filter apps, one of which is probably the one that Firebird mentioned.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on January 31, 2017, 07:47:11 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 31, 2017, 07:39:25 PM
Interesting, pity they don't do an Android version.

There is an Android version, but it only works on some Android phones.

Thanks, I was interested for my tablet which is not rooted so far as I know.

Actually the thing I use most late at night is my electronic ink type, reflective, Kindle.

Hmm, I have a programmable colour LED bulb, maybe I will replace the current over bed reading lamp, that has a halogen bulb, with that. Then I can chose the colour and brightness that feels best!  Hmm, need a new reading lamp first . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on January 31, 2017, 07:07:25 PM
Hmm, I found something called f.lux for computers. I'll try it out and see what its effects are.

I've downloaded this, I want to see if it helps.   :yawn:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Day One:

I think having the app installed helped a bit, I went to sleep earlier than I usually do and only woke up twice before dawn. On the downside, for it to be effective you probably have to turn off the overhead lights. I don't know about you guys but I like well-lit rooms, especially at night, so as not to strain my eyes.

So yeah, still thinking about getting a red light bulb for my lamp. :notsure: I would probably end up buying a black light bulb though. :grin: 

Recusant

I'm still playing around with the settings. One thing I've decided is that the slow transition is preferable to the 20 second option. Also not sure yet about which night lighting is best, but for now I'm using the "halogen" setting.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 02, 2017, 08:32:27 PM
I'm still playing around with the settings. One thing I've decided is that the slow transition is preferable to the 20 second option. Also not sure yet about which night lighting is best, but for now I'm using the "halogen" setting.

I've tweaked the settings. I didn't really like halogen so mine is a little whiter (~4250 K). I've changed mine from 20 seconds to slow, and I agree it's better.

xSilverPhinx

Day Two:

I slept through the night and woke up later than usual. Now that I've caught up I feel much more willing to tackle next week's problems! :grin:

:hammock:

xSilverPhinx

:yawn: Day Three:

I woke up at 10h30, which startled me so much that I almost fell onto the floor. Still feel a bit sleepy...heh.

Recusant

I'm enjoying the log.  :)

My approach to this hasn't been very scientific, since I changed a couple of parameters rather than just one. In addition to using the f.lux program, I've made an effort to try to get any computer use that might tend to be stimulating (political discussions, for instance) out of the way well before I expect to retire. So far, so good. I've been an insomniac pretty much all my life though, so I don't really think these changes will eliminate it.
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Day Four:

Nothing out of the ordinary happened today. No involuntary floor-hugging, no dreams that I can remember and no need to hunt mosquitoes well into the night with Skeeter Bane, my electric racket. I woke up at 8h, which is the time I usually wake up, and feel way less sleepy than I did yesterday.

I guess it's a good start?  :unsure:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 04, 2017, 04:12:35 PM
I'm enjoying the log.  :)

My approach to this hasn't been very scientific, since I changed a couple of parameters rather than just one. In addition to using the f.lux program, I've made an effort to try to get any computer use that might tend to be stimulating (political discussions, for instance) out of the way well before I expect to retire. So far, so good. I've been an insomniac pretty much all my life though, so I don't really think these changes will eliminate it.

What's your chronotype? Would you consider yourself an afternoon or a morning person?

I became an insomniac when I reached mid adolescence, if it hadn't been for school I would have slept all day and stayed awake all night. Once school was over that's exactly what happened, and it took forever to reverse, but reverse it I did.

I have high hopes, you see. :P

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 05, 2017, 01:23:49 PM
Day Four:

Nothing out of the ordinary happened today. No involuntary floor-hugging, no dreams that I can remember and no need to hunt mosquitoes well into the night with Skeeter Bane, my electric racket. I woke up at 8h, which is the time I usually wake up, and feel way less sleepy than I did yesterday.

I guess it's a good start?  :unsure:

Thanks, xSP, never heard of the "electric racket" before - must get one.

ZAP them bugs!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 05, 2017, 01:36:22 PM
Thanks, xSP, never heard of the "electric racket" before - must get one.

ZAP them bugs!

It's great! Very satisfying too, when you get a bug it makes a popping noise as it fries the bug's remains.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I must've skipped Day Six.  :scratch:

Well, that's OK, day six didn't exist anyway.