News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello folks

Started by drfreemlizard, June 12, 2018, 12:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 14, 2018, 03:16:31 AM
Quote from: Dave on June 14, 2018, 02:18:47 AM
Akways thought a "baitcaster" was that catapult/slingshot with a larger cup for the load.

What about the baskets that let maggots escape slowly under the water?
Not familiar with those.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Just a non-fisherperson's confusion then! Yeah, Googling "baitcaster" brings up images of reels, obviously an esoteric use I am unfamiliar with. Yet the catapult is used to "cast (ground) bait" to a specific area of a body of water prior to casting the line there. Are such catapults not used over there? I used to see them regularly on my walks along the local canal.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

I love my baitcasters! Fabulous when tossing lures, especially surface lures for Australian bass.  I started with one that had a magnetic brake and using a rubber plug casting in my front yard.  Only ever had a couple of major tangles.  The trick was to gradually reduce the braking effort as I got the hang of it.  Later I graduated to a Shimano Calcutta with centrifugal brakes and a drag as smooth as silk, it is a beautiful reel.  I only use braided lines too.  I love the control the baitcaster gives you and the softness of the braid makes for an excellent presentation.  Still, different strokes, and all that!

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dragonia on June 13, 2018, 09:33:52 PM
It's good to know other people feel the same as I do about bait casters. I grew up in Alaska fishing, I KNOW how to fish. But I never could get the hang of that stupid thing. My line would get tangled EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I tried different pressures on the line, different weights, all kinds of stuff. You are right, they are straight from the twisted mind of Satan himself.

I'm a Alvey side cast guy.
I think they've just closed down, another great Oz biz gone, ceased making. :'(
An Asian entrepreneur will probably buy the name and use it to sell shit.

BLAUPUNKT

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic+alvey+side+cast+reel&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimv6GBptPbAhVU6LwKHY-bBPoQsAQINw&biw=1920&bih=938
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

joeactor

Well... I, uh, eat fish. That's about it for me.

Welcome, DFL!

drfreemlizard

Quote from: joeactor on June 14, 2018, 09:34:13 PM

Welcome, DFL!
I'm definitely with you there! How do you like to fix it?

Icarus

Then of course there is fly casting. Truly a gentleman's sport.   It does need a bit of practice to do it well.

Dragonia

Yes, fly fishing is alright. I'm fair to middlin' at it, but it's not my favorite. Maybe just because I'm not a gentleman. Or maybe because I'm a lazy fisherman.  I like watching a bobber, my leg hanging over a chair, the only sounds the birds singing to me and an occasional comment from my husband, and a cold drink. Probably a beer .
Or salmon fishing, which isn't lazy, but the reward is fabulous!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on June 15, 2018, 03:45:52 PM
Yes, fly fishing is alright. I'm fair to middlin' at it, but it's not my favorite. Maybe just because I'm not a gentleman. Or maybe because I'm a lazy fisherman.  I like watching a bobber, my leg hanging over a chair, the only sounds the birds singing to me and an occasional comment from my husband, and a cold drink. Probably a beer .
Or salmon fishing, which isn't lazy, but the reward is fabulous!

Not for you a fast sea and a battling marlin on the end of your line as you are pulled to the limits of your harness then, Dragonia!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 15, 2018, 02:17:04 AM

Welcome, DFL!

Depends on the fish. Miso glazed salmon on the grill. Baked white fish with lemon pepper.

Or if I'm at a restaurant... Whole deep-fried catfish with ginger and ponzu sauce.

Bluenose

Quote from: joeactor on June 15, 2018, 06:14:32 PM
Quote from: drfreemlizard on June 15, 2018, 02:17:04 AM

Welcome, DFL!

Depends on the fish. Miso glazed salmon on the grill. Baked white fish with lemon pepper.

Or if I'm at a restaurant... Whole deep-fried catfish with ginger and ponzu sauce.

With white fleshed fish (I particularly like flathead, but this works well with other white fish and shark) I like to make a mixture in the ratio of one tablespoon of plain white flour to one teaspoon of English mustard powder.  I add salt and pepper to the mix and sometimes some dried lemon myrtle.  I then dredge the fish fillets in the mixture and fry over a moderate heat in equal quantities of light olive oil and butter, turning once, until just cooked and lightly golden.  You cannot taste the mustard, but it seems to really enhance the flavour of the fish.  Delicious!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

^Interesting recipe. I must give it a try.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Quote from: Tom62 on June 16, 2018, 07:00:59 AM
^Interesting recipe. I must give it a try.

I'd be very surprised if you don't like it!  :let'seat:

GNU Terry Pratchett