News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Who are you voting for? (for Americans)

Started by Ransom, November 24, 2011, 12:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2011, 04:21:43 PM
I'm a libertarian by definition because I advocate and fight for individual freedoms,

That is the heart and soul of libertarianism, but, as you say, it now carries some unfortunate baggage.

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on December 06, 2011, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2011, 04:21:43 PMI'm a libertarian by definition because I advocate and fight for individual freedoms, but because of all the arrogant, condescending people who call themselves libertarians (they really just look like people that don't want to support the society that supports the things they like and that helped them get to where they are), I don't pin that label onto myself.

This reminded me of an amusing comic about the varieties of libertarians. I have libertarian/anarchist tendencies myself, but do not consider humanity ready to achieve the sort of society that is envisioned by people such as Bakunin. I agree that the smug and seemingly rather thoughtless glorification of greed and selfishness espoused by many who call themselves libertarians has besmirched the name.

Yeah, that one is hilarious, they need to add in the hipster version that I seem to be portraying, "I'm a libertarian, but not like those other 'libertarians'."

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 05:48:27 PM
Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2011, 04:21:43 PM
I'm a libertarian by definition because I advocate and fight for individual freedoms,

That is the heart and soul of libertarianism, but, as you say, it now carries some unfortunate baggage.
Yeah, I might fight to take the label back, but I don't like political labels much (mostly against political parties), so I just leave it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

To avoid taking the Rick Perry thread too far off topic, I've chosen to respond to Brent's latest post there in this thread:

Quote from: Brent on December 08, 2011, 07:15:37 PMThe biggest reason I like Ron Paul is because he wants our troops home and he will work to end the Federal Reserve.  I know he isn't perfect, but I think he would do better with the economy than any of the other candidates.

Why do you think that the Federal Reserve should be abolished, and what would you consider to be a reasonable replacement for it?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Will

I'm voting against whoever takes the Republican nomination. What a terrifying gallery of the insane, the narcissistic and the corrupt. I guess that means I'm voting for President Obama again.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

I look at the politicians on this side of the pond and despair. Then I watch the youtube interviews posted here and thank God that I live here!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

not your typical...

Quote from: Will on December 08, 2011, 09:19:47 PM
I'm voting against whoever takes the Republican nomination. What a terrifying gallery of the insane, the narcissistic and the corrupt. I guess that means I'm voting for President Obama again.
Yay. Godd Will. Smart Will. ;)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Whitney

To the great excitement of political comedians; you can watch the republican candiates face off in a debate headed by the one and only Trump on Dec 27

Correction...lol, so far only two have agreed to go (Gingrich and Santorum) and Perry has officially decline....it's a conspiracy against the great Trump I tell you!  :D

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/08/rnc-chair-takes-issue-with-trump-debate/

Oh, and don't worry, Trump has indicated that he will throw his hat back in the ring as an independent if the republicans don't choose the right candidate.....so there is still hope that you can vote for your main man.  ;)

MadBomr101

Where political candidates are concerned, particularly presidential, greatness is behind us.  There isn't likely to be another Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Truman, etc... anytime in the foreseeable future.  They're all much too corrupt, greedy and self-absorbed for that today.   :'(

Obama was the best shot we had in a long time but his attempts to try and begin to reverse the damage of W and his cronies has mostly failed due in large part to Republican partisanship watering down his efforts.  They were gonna unite to bring him down from the start no matter what it took.  That and he cared too much about making everyone happy.  That was never gonna happen and he should've known it.  The changes America voted for were to be decisive and sweeping.  That hasn't even come close to happening.  I think the Obama administration will go down in history as a missed opportunity.

Isn't it about time for another revolution?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

cshearer

I would vote for a Reagan, but those republicans are far, far away. Unfortunately, the teabaggers don't have anyone with even an ounce of rationality to put forward, so I decided very quickly to vote for good old Obammy.

I would probably vote for Buddy Roehmer if he got nominated...but I do not see that happening.
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something."

Light

Republican.  Not Ron Paul though, but he won't get the nomination anyway.....

Happy_Is_Good

I won't be voting for anyone.  I will not vote.  I will not let the people that own this country believe we fall for the false Democrat vs Republican choice they shove in or faces at election time. 

Why just Democrats and Republicans - doesn't anyone even ask?  Why aren't there 3, 4, 5 Major parties?  It's because the system is corrupt, that's why.

Anyways, if you want to see what lows the to which American System of elections has descended, I invite you to read an article written by Matt Taibbi and entitled, "Mad Dog Palin" :  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/mad-dog-palin-20100405

The truly disgusting thing about Sarah Palin isn't that she's totally unqualified, or a religious zealot, or married to a secessionist, or unable to educate her own daughter about sex, or a fake conservative who raised taxes and horked up earmark millions every chance she got. No, the most disgusting thing about her is what she says about us: that you can ram us in the ass for eight solid years, and we'll not only thank you for your trouble, we'll sign you up for eight more years, if only you promise to stroke us in the right spot for a few hours around election time.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 23, 2011, 07:22:19 PM
[...]the most disgusting thing about her is what she says about us: that you can ram us in the ass for eight solid years, and we'll not only thank you for your trouble, we'll sign you up for eight more years, if only you promise to stroke us in the right spot for a few hours around election time.

Actually sounds quite spot on, IMO.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 23, 2011, 07:22:19 PM
I won't be voting for anyone.  I will not vote.  I will not let the people that own this country believe we fall for the false Democrat vs Republican choice they shove in or faces at election time. 

Why just Democrats and Republicans - doesn't anyone even ask?  Why aren't there 3, 4, 5 Major parties?  It's because the system is corrupt, that's why.

I continue to believe that there is a great opportunity for a centrist party that is just in favor of competence and pragmatism and what works.  If it could get 1/3 of the vote for President and 1/3 of the seats in Congress it could grab 1/6 from either left or right on any particular issue and garner a majority.  A centrist, independent President would be good - he/she wouldn't be a whore for either side.  Right now, I'm on the verge of hating my own government. It is dysfunctional, and can't get anything done until the 11th hour.  As Hamish said in Brave Heart, "they can't agree on the color of shit." 

Gawen

I'm not saying who I'm voting for because it is a secret vote. I can tell you who I'm not voting for to a degree. As the time to vote nears and the candidates are narrowed down, I'll eventually make up my mind. Then, the choices will be right, left, possibly independent and to not vote at all. So far, three of those choices appeal to me.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ecurb Noselrub

Here's an interesting article about an American political organization searching for a third way to break the ideological stalemate that currently exists in Washington.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/29/politics/americans-elect/index.html?hpt=hp_t1