News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Are You a Fascist?

Started by LegendarySandwich, February 15, 2011, 01:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

This is from a Samuel Johnson Wiki
QuoteIn 1774 he printed The Patriot, a critique of what he viewed as false patriotism. On the evening of 7 April 1775, he made the famous statement, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."[8] This line was not, as widely believed, about patriotism in general, but the false use of the term "patriotism" by John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute (the patriot-minister) and his supporters; Johnson opposed "self-professed Patriots" in general, but valued what he considered "true" patriotism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Joh ... ical_views

I don't like what I regard as false patriotism either.  When discussions can't be had before a country goes to war, and  opponents are shouted down as traitorous or are too scared to talk, it's not a healthy situation.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "terranus"
Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "terranus"That's not Patriotism, that's called "Nationalism". I know they seem like synonyms of each other, but their not. There's a big difference. Patriotism pretty much the love of one's own country,
Yeah, and I don't think all that many people should love their own country. I rather dislike mine.

Note: When I say country, I'm not talking about the government.

Yeah, but I'm planning on emmigrating in 6 years regardless of what the government looks like then.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"Yeah, but I'm planning on emmigrating in 6 years regardless of what the government looks like then.
Yeah, I think I might move somewhere else to -- either to Seattle (which is only like, a twenty minute drive away) or to another country. Some of the ones I'm considering: Australia, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, The Netherlands.

Heretical Rants

When I say 6 years, I mean anywhere from 2-6 years. I'd go right now, but I still have to deal with college.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Do you guys mean blind patriotism, or exceptionalism when you say patriotism? Because I can't see how simply loving one's own country is a bad thing.
I'm talking about the "our-country-is-definitely-the-best-in-the-world-and-has-no-problems-whatsoever-and-all-the-others-are-shit-and-you-don't-deserve-to-live-here-if-you-don't-love-this-country-as-much-as-I-do-and-lets-plaster-our-flag-all-over-the-place-and-make-kids-make-pledges-to-them-and-them-immigrants-are-ruining-our-great-nation-gotta-keep-them-out-and-disparage-anyone-who-dissagrees-and-if-you-dissagree-with-my-canidate-you're-unpatriotic-stop-criticising-our-country" garbage.

I don't necessarily know what ForTheLoveOfAll is talking about; I just liked the way he said it.
That's pretty much what I meant, and you're more than welcome to quote me.  :D

I just hate how there's so much hatred put forward just because someone lives a few miles overseas or across a border. We're all citizens of planet EARTH. We are ONE, imho. If we don't figure this out, we'll achieve nothing but cosmic destruction at this rate.

And also, if you criticize the country you are living in or the government you're labeled as unpartiotic or as a conspiracy theorist. Well, you know what? If that's what it takes to point out tyrrany as it's rising up, or even when it's already in plain sight (As it is.), then so be it.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Will37

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

fester30

2.6 a liberal airhead.  And to think I've always voted Republican.

I never thought becoming atheist would change my worldview so much that it would also change my political views.  Without religion, however, I have started to see the value in conflict theory.  I still see some positives to functionalist theory, but I also see now the places where it's flawed.  I guess between two extremes is usually the truth.

Hidelight

Liberal airhead.  Wow there is a shock!

Medusa

You are a liberal airhead 2.2666666666666666 <----still got the Satanist in me. Lol. :D
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

OldGit

3.4, but that's misleading.  There are huge areas of politics not mentioned there which concern us greatly today.  Eg immigration, public debt.  On those I would be a lot farther to the right.

Ragnar

Liberal Airhead: 2.6333.

Well it is a new experience being called that. 
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

Gawen

2.4...liberal airhead.

Some of these questions are so lame and vague.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

fyv0h

You are a liberal airhead.

Ha. Airhead... :D
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Sandra Craft

2.2, liberal airhead.  Think I already knew that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quite a lot of what is defined as liberals here... With many of those scores, one would probably not be quite in that club where I'm from.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.