News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

This is a link to characteristics in a game but a good illustration of the sounds of gunshots. Air temperature, humidity and wind can modify these.

Here the "smearing" sounds more like a sort of bass "hiss" after the crack but I liken it more to clapping at the end of a largish but short pipe in real life. He also raises the good point that, effectively, low notes travel further than high notes.

https://youtu.be/ToSjxK7Y0UU

See what these guys have to research into to bring realism into shoot 'em up games!?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

I know that I am going way OT here, but here is the "rocket gun"

https://youtu.be/cJAXpyt8-oQ

Dave

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 22, 2018, 05:20:45 AM
Quote from: Dave on July 22, 2018, 04:43:26 AM
Oops, too early am.

You beat me to it this morning.

Mornin', Hermes, woke up at about 4am, too hot. Actually often wake up then.

Hit "quote" rather than "modify".

Been very quiet here lately.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on July 22, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 22, 2018, 05:20:45 AM
Quote from: Dave on July 22, 2018, 04:43:26 AM
Oops, too early am.

You beat me to it this morning.

Mornin', Hermes, woke up at about 4am, too hot. Actually often wake up then.

Hit "quote" rather than "modify".

Been very quiet here lately.

I would love some warmer weather. It is 10:00 here and sunny, but only about 10°.

Yes, it has been quiet. I think I will start being a bit more active now that I am almost back to normal.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Damn it all Hermes. That is only about 50 degrees F and for my tropical carcass it is too damned cold for late July.  Who knew that SA was in the intemperate zone?

jumbojak

You need to head North to Virginia Gene. It's a bit chilly tonight at 85°F...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on July 23, 2018, 12:19:45 AM
Damn it all Hermes. That is only about 50 degrees F and for my tropical carcass it is too damned cold for late July.  Who knew that SA was in the intemperate zone?

Well, Johannesburg is at 1700 m above sea level, so at night it can get to -5°C or lower. Some years we even have some snow, but none so far this winter. At least winters are sunny, so it gives the illusion of warmth. Unfortunately, our architects seem to think we live in a warm country, so houses are generally not really well-insulated.
― Charles Eames

Velma

It has been nice here, barely above 80F. No rain either, although it was a bit cloudy on Sunday. I think the drastic weather change may have had a hand in my flair last week. Fortunately, it is getting better.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

While sitting through a presentation today I had a coughing fit, wheezing, tears and all. My throat felt ticklish and no amount of desperate coughing seemed to make it stop. I didn't have any water with me but just as I was about to get up and leave I remembered I had bought some cough drops with me.

There is a cough drop god.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 23, 2018, 07:55:14 PM
While sitting through a presentation today I had a coughing fit, wheezing, tears and all. My throat felt ticklish and no amount of desperate coughing seemed to make it stop. I didn't have any water with me but just as I was about to get up and leave I remembered I had bought some cough drops with me.

I have never believed in water as an aid to stop a cough, or any other windpipe problem like food "going down the wrong way".  Stuff stuck in the gullet, yes, but for the windpipe surely you need as much lack of obstruction as possible? A mouth full of water ciuld have you drowning if your system reacted the wrong way!

I have an ocassional swallowing problem where food ends up in the esophagus, got a pretty good cough reaction - projectile coughing! Sometimes it goes far enough down to cause the epiglottis to spasm shut - breathing in becomes a problem. But I have learned not to panic, take very slow breaths, hold for a few seconds and relax, then cough the air out a bit. Think its the epiglottis because breathing out would push it open and is not such a problem.

Ecurb Noselrub

Temp where I work, in Temple, Texas, is 110 right now.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 23, 2018, 08:10:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 23, 2018, 07:55:14 PM

I have never believed in water as an aid to stop a cough, or any other windpipe problem like food "going down the wrong way".  Stuff stuck in the gullet, yes, but for the windpipe surely you need as much lack of obstruction as possible? A mouth full of water ciuld have you drowning if your system reacted the wrong way!

I have an ocassional swallowing problem where food ends up in the esophagus, got a pretty good cough reaction - projectile coughing! Sometimes it goes far enough down to cause the epiglottis to spasm shut - breathing in becomes a problem. But I have learned not to panic, take very slow breaths, hold for a few seconds and relax, then cough the air out a bit. Think its the epiglottis because breathing out would push it open and is not such a problem.

:secrets1: Well, what I really wanted to do was swallow a mouthful of something rough, like sandpaper, to alleviate the ticklish sensation which is incredibly annoying. But since I knew there was a drinking fountain down the corridor and no sandpaper in the vicinities, I automatically thought of water.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey