News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Things we might like to add on HAF.

Started by Guardian85, October 11, 2015, 08:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

I, on the advice of Tank, am starting this thread as a sort of suggestion box for things we might like to add or remove or change from the site.
Hopefully this can serve as inspiration for our moderators and resident tech head and lead to a better site.

To start things off I would suggest we add nationality to the personal information panel (P.I.M.P. ?)that comes with every post you make. Just to make it easier for people to remember who and where people are. Maybe just a little flag under the line for gender.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Not sure I like the idea of showing how stupid estadounidenses are every time I post a random thought.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

OldGit

Guardian85

Quote from: jumbojak on October 12, 2015, 04:11:08 AM
Not sure I like the idea of showing how stupid estadounidenses are every time I post a random thought.
Take it as inspiration to not post as stupidly, then.  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

I think the only person who's stupid here is me, so you're safe.   ;)

I would like that a better smiley pack be added to this forum, or keep the ones we have but add more. It's not the most important or pressing thing to request but it would be nice to be able to express oneself nonverbally without having to google an emoticon. [/feeling lazy]   :P

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on October 12, 2015, 10:16:57 AM
Take it as inspiration to not post as stupidly, then.  ;D

He can't help it ;D

I like the idea of adding the flag below each of our avatars, especially seeing how diverse we are here. I say pretty please can we haz some flags?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Firebird

Quote from: Guardian85 on October 11, 2015, 08:04:38 PM
To start things off I would suggest we add nationality to the personal information panel (P.I.M.P. ?)that comes with every post you make. Just to make it easier for people to remember who and where people are. Maybe just a little flag under the line for gender.

I'm down with that.

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean Prime

Legend:
Can do/will do
Might do
Cannot/will not do

Nationality flag/field - easy to implement, but might interfere with future upgrades. Will have to look into that.

Smiley pack - we will see what we can dig up. A perfectly harmless fix that.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean Prime on October 12, 2015, 04:44:14 PM

Cool. ;D

Firebird

How do people feel about like/dislike buttons?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on October 12, 2015, 11:24:58 PM

If it's à la Facebook where members can like (or maybe dislike) posts then I don't see the harm in it as long as it isn't anonymous.

I've been on a big forum where a props system was implemented and it just turned into a popularity contest where members with the most 'likes' were seen as the most credible, even if some were not. Some members would compete for brownie points and I'd assume some with views that opposed the majority wouldn't express themselves for fear of getting negative props or dislikes. :-X Groupthink was rampant.
Not saying that would happen on this forum, the circumstances may be different, I just don't like the props idea too much.  :-\     

Asmodean Prime

Like/dislike buttons - The forum has a karma system that can be implemented and used. In stead of a specific post, it assigns "likes" and "dislikes" to the individual user. The like system would only be really useful if one could search for most liked posts, topics, members, etc, but that would be a highly intrusive mod. Unlikely to implement, but will look into it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2015, 11:43:33 PM
Quote from: Firebird on October 12, 2015, 11:24:58 PM

If it's à la Facebook where members can like (or maybe dislike) posts then I don't see the harm in it as long as it isn't anonymous.

I've been on a big forum where a props system was implemented and it just turned into a popularity contest where members with the most 'likes' were seen as the most credible, even if some were not. Some members would compete for brownie points and I'd assume some with views that opposed the majority wouldn't express themselves for fear of getting negative props or dislikes. :-X Groupthink was rampant.
Not saying that would happen on this forum, the circumstances may be different, I just don't like the props idea too much.  :-\   
This.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2015, 06:25:16 PM

Cool. ;D

If this does get implemented I think we should be sure to get a premium smiley pack which includes the following:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on October 13, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2015, 06:25:16 PM

Cool. ;D

If this does get implemented I think we should be sure to get a premium smiley pack which includes the following:

Uh huh.