News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Started by Gnostic Christian Bishop, February 26, 2018, 06:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnostic Christian Bishop

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=wRyUWquFHcm4tQXV74XQBw&q=fraud+laws&oq=fraud+laws&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.1003.11584.0.15863.10.10.0.0.0.0.114.1040.3j7.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.1037...0i131k1.0.nCgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on February 26, 2018, 06:35:09 PM

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=wRyUWquFHcm4tQXV74XQBw&q=fraud+laws&oq=fraud+laws&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.1003.11584.0.15863.10.10.0.0.0.0.114.1040.3j7.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.1037...0i131k1.0.nCgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL

In the interest of discussion, but without much belief that it will be successful, I ask--

1. Which religions would you consider to be forthright and honest, Gnostic Christian Bishop?

2. Can you expand on what fraud you perceive in certain religions, and how a government might go about proving fraud on the part of any particular religion?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Tank:
Seriously? All religions are fraudulent.

I like the way you think.

Tank

Quote from: No one on February 26, 2018, 08:45:54 PM
Tank:
Seriously? All religions are fraudulent.

I like the way you think.

Awww no one cares!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2018, 06:38:52 PM
Seriously? All religions are faudulent.

That was the first thought that came into my head.

Quote from: Recusant on February 26, 2018, 07:13:49 PM

2. Can you expand on what fraud you perceive in certain religions, and how a government might go about proving fraud on the part of any particular religion?

And this was the second one.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Is this "fraud" of the monetary, and thus illegal, type or the deceiving, more immoral? The first requires action in the criminal courts if it promises 'services or goods" in return that cannot be delivered. Material hoods or sergices anywsy, the law has this huge hole in it regarding "spiritual" serviices - "Your soul will be saved by your generosity!" that are sctually impossible to promise.

But you cannot really legislate on belief unless it includes acts that are obviously against the law. Non-religious charities have been caned for their emotional blackmail and browbeating attempts to get money out of people, some of the so-called churches seem to exist solely for that purpose. But, if people are stupid enough . . .

But, perhaps we should protect the stupid. I am an advocate for all churches being licenced and registered as charities and thus having to obey the regulations. Not exactly loop-hole free even then but better than the free hand they have now.

xSilverPhinx

I think they should, but that just isn't practical. In most countries of the western world, freedom of religion (and from religion) is just one of those rights you can't mess with. Big no no.

If organised religion is like a disease then I think people should be immunised. People should be taught critical thinking like they receive vaccines. I truly believe that better schooling, with some more emphasis on critical thinking and metathinking (thinking about thinking) goes a long way in helping people realise when they're being conned, not only in religion but in any pseudoscience with snake oil-peddling fraudsters. 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Government can regulate financial fraud and criminal acts by religion.  If you are talking about regulating people's beliefs, do you really want to go there? Who decides what beliefs or doctrines are fraudulent?  That aspect of it seems like a violation of human rights, much like preventing freedom of speech or the press.  I hope people think this through before having a knee-jerk reaction.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 27, 2018, 07:14:28 PM
Government can regulate financial fraud and criminal acts by religion.  If you are talking about regulating people's beliefs, do you really want to go there? Who decides what beliefs or doctrines are fraudulent?  That aspect of it seems like a violation of human rights, much like preventing freedom of speech or the press.  I hope people think this through before having a knee-jerk reaction.

With you there, orople should be allowed to believe in what they like. But just as would put regulations on any company soliciting for business, on how charities go about getting donors etc then there should be safeguards on how donations to churches, or political parties, are ganered.

May be a bit too much to insist on money back garantees in the case of non-delivery of promised services though . . .

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Do you?

Regards
DL

xSilverPhinx

Should people use the search function to check whether they've posted the exact same question earlier before posting it again? :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

The copy-pasta post above has been merged with its previously existing incarnation. I don't think that this spamming was intentional, but if such actions are repeated regularly, a suspension may result.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2018, 06:38:52 PM
Seriously? All religions are faudulent.

I do not see the religions that preach the seeking of knowledge and wisdom as liars because they have no need to lie as they are using logic and reason and not faith.

That would include some Buddhist sects, Karaite Jews and Gnostic Christians.

You dis not answer the O.P. question.

Care to do so?

Regards
DL