News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Weight gain and loss

Started by Dave, May 24, 2018, 05:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Looking for info of fluid loss due to exhslation I cam across this article. Almost seems to advicate a low carb diet (I know thst eorks well with me for shortish periods) and there is a link to the "keto diet" (low carb high far/protein) at the botyom, but it is not too "faddy" sounding.

Quote'Eat less, move more'
The amount of carbon that is lost can be increased with exercise. By substituting 1 hour of rest for 1 hour of moderate exercise such as jogging, the metabolic rate is increased sevenfold, removing an additional 40 g of carbon from the body, increasing the daily total by around 20% to 240 g.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287046.php

Certainly when I had my fistula I went on a low carb/high protein (cheese, chicken, fish - no red meats). My problem there was that moving about was painful, I spent 4 months or more lying on my side most of the time, sitting was out - even with a ring cushion! But I lost 12kg over that period and kept the surgery nurse aware as requested. Some may have been due to muscle loss but I have maintained that weight since with a more balanced diet and a bit more walking about. Though a reduction in fluid and carb intake still causes quite rapid weight loss.

As advised I weigh myself under the same connditions (stripped, after the morning dump and before breakfast ideally) every day, a deterioration in my heart failure may be indicated by a weight (body fluid) gain of a kilo or more in 24 hours. I keep weekly and running 4 weekly averages.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

I generally believe in a balanced diet overall, with exercise (aerobic - walking and hiking, weight training, stretching), to manage my weight.

Cutting out all carbs, or high fat, or all fruit. Not for me. Seems wrong based on human physiology. I also don't like taking any drugs or supplements. "All Natural"? Yeah. So's arsenic.

That said, I don't deprive myself. I have a little chocolate every day. Desserts on weekends. Lighter eating during the week. This does show as my weight goes up over the weekend, and down during the week. Usually within a 2-3 pound limit.

To be honest, I started exercising more so that I could eat more. Wrong reasons, right results.

One other note: When I got my genetic testing results, they indicated that for me, it's not as important the type of foods consumed. The overall calories matters most. I found it interesting that this varies per person.

Bit of a ramble, but that's my approach to my weight management. (note: I was a fat kid ;-) )

Davin

I was skinny, and exercised often as a kid. Then after college I let it all go and became skinny fat. Then I tried to do something about it and got fat fat. Then I ignored specialized diets and almost all fitness advice and read the research papers and meta analysis' of research papers and then used that to make a plan and that has worked a lot better.

I follow the same kind of "diet" as joeactor, I tend to eat lean and well during the week and let it a bit loose on the weekends. I walk a lot, and I do weight training of the weekends. I jog a few times a week, working up to jogging every morning before work.

This is because, while the exact amount may differ per person, a calorie surplus leads to weight gain and a deficit leads to weight loss. There are almost no exceptions. But there are things you can do to make sure that during weight loss, most of that weight is taken from your fat stores and not from your muscles. And also that when you're gaining weight, you're mostly gaining muscle instead of mostly fat.

Cutting carbs is an easy way to limit calories. Eating high fat and high protein foods makes you feel full better. For some people these work to reduce the amount of calories ingested, and that's what leads to weight loss. However it works for you to reduce calorie intake below calorie output will lead you to weight loss.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Train with me if you want to live.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 24, 2018, 08:32:03 PM

Only if you were a certified cardiac trainer.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on May 24, 2018, 08:34:55 PM

Those don't exist but I can help with that. I just finished the chapter in the book about that. I would wait however until I get my certification because I don't want to jump the gun and end up giving you bad advice. I want to know everything I can so I can give you (and the rest of my clients) the best chance that I can.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 24, 2018, 09:40:32 PM

Those don't exist but I can help with that. I just finished the chapter in the book about that. I would wait however until I get my certification because I don't want to jump the gun and end up giving you bad advice. I want to know everything I can so I can give you (and the rest of my clients) the best chance that I can.

You say they don't exist then you say you would not oractice such until getting certified . . .?

Arturo, in the UK there is a body that certifies physios giving therapy to sufferers of cardiac problems. This requires passing exams in understanding the causes, symptoms and treatment of cardiac codditions and the use and interpretation of  blood pressure and heat rhythm monitors.

I would not consider accepting the services of anyone else.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on May 25, 2018, 05:34:44 AM

You say they don't exist then you say you would not oractice such until getting certified . . .?

Arturo, in the UK there is a body that certifies physios giving therapy to sufferers of cardiac problems. This requires passing exams in understanding the causes, symptoms and treatment of cardiac codditions and the use and interpretation of  blood pressure and heat rhythm monitors.

They don't exist here
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 25, 2018, 07:20:12 AM

They don't exist here

Unless you can can tell the difference between "normal" excercise stress and dangerous cardiac stress you might endanger, or even kill, your client.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on May 25, 2018, 08:25:14 AM
Quote from: Arturo on May 25, 2018, 07:20:12 AM

They don't exist here

Unless you can can tell the difference between "normal" excercise stress and dangerous cardiac stress you might endanger, or even kill, your client.

Yeah I kind of have to. I'm also trained in CPR, first aid, and defibrillators in case something like that happens. Also we have to ask for documentation from clients for things like that. Any prior existing conditions. Even signs of body dysmorphia and eating disorders we have to look out for.

But I'm not a cardiac doctor so I can't take your heart rate and tell you what a safe level that is. Your doctor can do that and then I take that information and work around that. In your case I would probably have you take your pulse several times during the session. If the idea is to strengthen the heart then we would be working a little bit (with cardio exercises relative to you) but there will also be frequent breaks like if someone were training any other muscle in strength. I would make sure that you are breathing correctly while doing these things. Making sure you get plenty of oxygen into your blood to fuel you muscles and release ATP.

But the part where it gets to clients with special needs is near the end of the book and I'm only on the questions for chapter 2. I'm about to clear those and then move on to other chapters throughout today. I'm actually really far behind my schedule dates that I set for myself. Mostly because I've been adjusting to living on my own now and realize I have to make sacrifices to make sure other things happen that are also important.

But also know that I am really hesitant to train my friends or people I know on the internet for two reasons. 1) it changes the relationship I have with that person. And 2) it's hard for me to keep track of someone on the internet. I can't physically be there with you. So lots of information is lost. So what I do is offer motivation.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

I've lost over 80 lbs since I retired 5 yrs ago -- it's the No Stress Anymore diet.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 25, 2018, 05:32:04 PM
I've lost over 80 lbs since I retired 5 yrs ago -- it's the No Stress Anymore diet.

Well done, Ssndra. Depending on the job I have seen so many put the pounds on when stopping work. Bht, yeah, stress and food (and/or booze) often come together.

I would not wish the incentive I had to eat less and lose weight on anyone - it was bloody painful! Strange thing is, when I started exercising and walking after my heart attack I actually put weight on. Possibly swapping light fat for heavier muscle.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on May 25, 2018, 06:31:26 PM

I would not wish the incentive I had to eat less and lose weight on anyone - it was bloody painful! Strange thing is, when I started exercising and walking after my heart attack I actually put weight on. Possibly swapping light fat for heavier muscle.

Few things scarier than a heart attack, I think.  Swapping fat for muscle would be my guess too.  I've seriously got to start exercising, if only to get the "sitting is the new smoking" people to shut up.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany