Main Menu

Science image dump

Started by Claireliontamer, April 10, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Biggus Dickus

This is so cool, guy lost his left arm and has it replaced with a robotic prosthetic...apparently he can preset the arm to complete simple, automatic functions.

Awesome huh?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 03, 2017, 03:10:12 PM
This is so cool, guy lost his left arm and has it replaced with a robotic prosthetic...apparently he can preset the arm to complete simple, automatic functions.

Awesome huh?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

There are those who like a bit of the strange now and then, as they say.

Anyway, back to science images--

It's a sort of tie-dyed image of the Crab Nebula. The colors are artificial; each of five different hues in the image of the nebula represent what is seen through five different telescopes. Far out, man!

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Recusant on May 15, 2017, 11:37:13 AM
There are those who like a bit of the strange now and then, as they say.

Anyway, back to science images--

It's a sort of tie-dyed image of the Crab Nebula. The colors are artificial; each of five different hues in the image of the nebula represent what is seen through five different telescopes. Far out, man!

Love that, have made it my desktop screen on my laptop...gracias amigo!

I really like this sign, it is after all an awesome scientific image.

xSilverPhinx

Dave

^ More power to the molecule!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Have you got a link to the site that image came from?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 19, 2017, 01:24:34 AM

Ooooh pretty, so pretty, colors and lights...Ok, so can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? 8) (For a minute I thought it was a battle map of "Y Fighters". ;D

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 19, 2017, 03:17:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 19, 2017, 01:24:34 AM

Ooooh pretty, so pretty, colors and lights...Ok, so can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? 8) (For a minute I thought it was a battle map of "Y Fighters". ;D

It is a map of our metabolic reactions, in particular how we get energy (ATP).  I once knew all those as had to remember them for an A Level Biology exam.  The stupid things we have to commit to memory for exams when in the real world we can just look them up!

hermes2015

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 05:12:53 PM
.....  The stupid things we have to commit to memory for exams when in the real world we can just look them up!

That is one reason why I became an organic chemist. Organic chemistry is very mechanistic, so one only has to remember a few basic principles. One basic principle is how electrons behave and move around. That allows you to figure out what will happen in any reaction, without the need to remember recipes. It's like playing chess: learn a few basic rules and you can start playing. But then creativity kicks in and some people become great chemists, while others don't.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx