News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

It would appear OhCheese that it is the thought of act of sodomy (anal sex) that upsets you, not male homosexuality itself? If this is so I tend to agree with you. I personally don't like the idea of sodomy male/male or male/female. But the critical bit is 'I personally'. One needs to be tolerant of others if we are all to get along. You can choose to do what you like in a relationship and if you don't like anal sex you don't have to do it, which of course you know. But with careful preparation the health risks of anal sex can be minimal. It is not for one person to condemn the consensual adult acts of others, however much one personally does not like them. This is not an atheist view, it's an adult one in my opinion.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Medusa

There is also another opinion to consider. You can actually dislike homosexuality without being a homophobe.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Asmodean

Quote from: OhCheese on August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PMSo what I want to know here is what you think about homosexuality??

Who you have sex with is none of my business, nor does it affect my view of you in any way.

That said, it's not an "atheist perspective". I am an atheist. I don't care about sexual orientations. Two different and only indirectly related things.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Gawen

Quote from: OhCheeseSo what I want to know here is what you think about homosexuality??
I don't care one way or the other...generally. The guy that buys the stuff for my department is gay. We have a great friendly relationship. He's not effeminate, but now and then lets (and I hate to say it) loose a telltale quip that would make one wonder if he was gay, but otherwise one would never know. Now, his boyfriend is flaming gay...and that puts me right off. I really can't stand to be around flamers and bull dike lesbians. Their mannerisms, speech, butch and mullet hair styles and manner of dress is very unappealing to me. But...

I don't care one way or the other and support (inactively) their search in the pursuit of happiness.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Evilbeagle

Sexuality in any of its forms has nothing to do (imho) with Atheism.
What two (or more) consenting adults do in their own privacy has nothing to do with me.

Im too busy trying to get on with my life to be bothered about other people's lives.
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Evilbeagle on August 15, 2011, 10:53:36 AM
What two (or more) consenting adults do in their own privacy has nothing to do with me.

Im too busy trying to get on with my life to be bothered about other people's lives.

Exactly.  if only the jesus blowers felt this way. ;)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Evilbeagle

People actually blow Jesus ? What a load of cock!
Sorry, I couldn't help but make that pun  ;D
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Too Few Lions

personally I don't have a problem with homosexuality, a person's sexual preference is their own personal choice, and has nothing to do with atheism whatsoever. I guess atheists from an Arab / Muslim background might have more of a problem with it due to their society's / Islam's general opposition to it. I imagine most of them would have been brought up being told homosexuality was terribly wrong, and some of the indoctrination may have stuck

Crow

I was bullied for about 7 years because of a very bitter girl decided to spread a rumor that I was gay, the obnoxious treatment I was subjected to made me develop a total distaste for homophobia and wont tolerate it even in the most flippant instances. The people who are homophobic need to realize that their fear is totally irrational and that they are scum to the same order as any violent criminals.

So what if somebody likes the same sex or both sexes, it has nothing to do with me or anyone else and good for them if they are open about there sexuality when there are millions ready to spurn them for it. It really pisses me off when people say "as long as its in private" that is still homophobia, if a same sex couple can't act the same in public as a straight couple then they are being oppressed and being subjected to homophobia.
Retired member.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 15, 2011, 11:26:57 PM
Quote from: Evilbeagle on August 15, 2011, 10:53:36 AM

Exactly.  if only the jesus blowers felt this way. ;)

Many "jesus blowers" do.  It could be that you and others simply believe/hear the loud crowd over the silent many and assume all are the same.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on August 17, 2011, 02:32:33 AM
I was bullied for about 7 years because of a very bitter girl decided to spread a rumor that I was gay, the obnoxious treatment I was subjected to made me develop a total distaste for homophobia and wont tolerate it even in the most flippant instances. The people who are homophobic need to realize that their fear is totally irrational and that they are scum to the same order as any violent criminals.

So what if somebody likes the same sex or both sexes, it has nothing to do with me or anyone else and good for them if they are open about there sexuality when there are millions ready to spurn them for it. It really pisses me off when people say "as long as its in private" that is still homophobia, if a same sex couple can't act the same in public as a straight couple then they are being oppressed and being subjected to homophobia.

I'm  glad you feel that way, Crow, though i'm really sorry you had to deal with such homophobic assholes. >___<

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DaemonWulf

I used to argue the gay issue with a homophobic born-again at a previous job I had, and I was so passionate in my argument he asked me more than once if I were actually gay. The biggest point I used to bring up went something like "if you can prove to me beyond a shadow of doubt that gay love is a weaker emotion than straight love, if you can quantify that for me in black and white, I'll be happy to renounce my views, oppose gay marriage, whatever." What really used to get me going was when he would claim homosexuality was a choice. I'd ask him "so you think these people willfully chose to be a member of the most hated, most biased-against group on the planet? For what? The sex can't possibly be that good." I don't know, maybe it was because I was fortunate enough to be raised around mostly open-minded people and have a couple of gay friends growing up, but I don't see any difference apart from who they're in love with. But these are just my own points of view, and can't be readily applied to other atheists; I've held these views for a lot of years, even when I had "faith". Gays, both male and female, are unfortunately looked down upon in most every segment of the population, largely in part due to religious teachings. I look at gay marriage the same way I look at abortion; if you're against it, don't have one.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews

Sweetdeath

That what drives me mad. How religious people think being gay is a choice.   

And being homophobic is beyond dispicable.  It's the same as hating an individual for being black .  Being gay isnt a choice.  Like skin color, sexual orientation isnt something yoy can help.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 23, 2011, 11:11:19 PM
I'm  glad you feel that way, Crow, though i'm really sorry you had to deal with such homophobic assholes. >___<

You don't have anything to be sorry about, but thanks for your sincerity. Now I'm glad it happened as it allowed me to gain a perspective that isn't really understandable unless you are a victim of it, it also made me ask some big questions about myself which I don't think I would have ever asked if I hadn't been exposed to it. 
Retired member.

Sweetdeath