News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Greetings from the Bible Belt part 2

Started by Tricky_Niki, November 24, 2007, 03:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricky_Niki

Hello everyone,

Some of you may know my husband Jester85, after several weeks of watching him interact here I have decided to chime in .

First a bit about me, I was born the oldest daughter of a southern baptist deacon and a crazy roman catholic. This wonderful pairing lasted 8 years. After my parents got bored with each other and with me and my brothers they dumped us with our very strict very devout pentecostal grandparents.
Life really went down hill from there. My disbelief in all things religious started at about the age of 13, That summer I cut off all my hair until it was shorter than any of my brothers. When my grandmother saw it she informed me I was going to hell, and sentenced me to a summer indoors reading the bible and learning from my sin. Right before school started she asked me if I had learned my lesson, I replied that I had learned that her god was a cruel and evil imaginary friend . This did not go over well especially when I informed her I would rather believe in the great toaster god ( someday I may tell you about him ). At this point she decided I was a lost cause but never stopped trying to change me.

Skipping forward a few years I meet my Darling Jesster at our highschools haunted house and fell in love. A few years later we married that was almost 10 years ago it took me most of 8 years to tell him how I really felt and i couldnt even do that until he started questioning his own belief.

I do believe now that our lives together are stronger than they were but I also question being able to raise our children without allowing society to poison them as we both were.

I think thats it for now Thanks for listening
Niki

P.S. I do believe in Unicorns and i want one for my birthday so tell Jesster to get busy Hunting.
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

Jesster85

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."-Richard Dawkins

Will

Yes, welcome! We'll all keep our eyes open for invisible pink unicorns.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

myleviathan

Welcome - Jesster85 was one of the ones who originally welcomed me several weeks ago when I joined. I can relate with the Southern Baptist upbringing. I know all about deacons. They're like the internal mafia keeping the kids quiet during service and frowning at those bold enough to smoke outside. My mom was a secretary at the local First Baptist Church, so I was there every day after school prank calling people, getting really, really good at wheelchair tricks. Because they kept a few wheelchairs under the stairs. I would also go into one of the Sunday school rooms and work on learning songs like "Christian Woman" by Type-O-Negative. I remember I was singing one day and the music pastor came in and was just shaking his head. Those were the days. I married a Christian before I decided I was a non-theist. We've been married now for over two years. It's hard sometimes because we can't relate in everything but we're both trying to love each other. It's nice to have an atheist forum because there aren't too many of us in Southwest Florida. Very conservative area, surprisingly.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Tricky_Niki

Thanks to both of you for the kind welcome. I wont thank Jesster as he is sitting right next to me instead of searching for my unicorn like a good husband should.

I guess in a way I was lucky in the fact that my parents both mostly ignored me as they were to busy hating each other to even think about the children thay had created.

One of my favorite memories of church was hiding all the hymnals and prayer books under the back steps. It took them over a month to be found and by that time they were ruined.
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. It's weird though...jesster kept telling everybody he wasn't married.

(just kidding....trying to stir up a bit of trouble)

I have two extra unicorns in a pen in my back yard if you want one.

:wink:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Tricky-Niki.  It's nice to have another atheist couple here.

Squid

Welcome aboard.

SteveS

Hi Tricky_Niki, and welcome to the board!

LSchune

This board is a great place to hang out, welcome!
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

BleedingOrchid

Quote from: "Tricky_Niki"I do believe in Unicorns

I do too! I've always loved the "legend" of the unicorn. Makes more sense than this silly talk of this "god" character ppl are always harping about. Plus, unicorns are pretty. [schild=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]HAHA[/schild]
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins